It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
(female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
Why am I feeling this way????

Is it possible to get too used to the medication that after awhile, it seems to stop working? Since August, I've been on 200mg of Lamictal and was on 20mg of Celexa. A little over a month ago, my psy upped my Celexa to 40mg. Everything seemed to be OK on the meds, the only thing would be that I would want to cry a lot for no reason, but my episodes were so much better. instead of having major outbursts, I would still have it, but it would only last a few minutes, as opposed to a few hours or even days.

However, the last couple of weeks, my mood has been blah. nothing in my life or job or family has changed. I don't feel overly depressed, but i also don't feel overly happy. I don't want to cry, but at the same time, i don't want to laugh either. I just feel, Blah.

But, my episodes seem to be coming back, almost like I wasn't on medications, but just not as strong. I had an episode last week, over nothing, but to me, it was something.

I don't know if I"m getting used to the medications, but I don't like how I feel as if, things aren't working again. I do see my psy this week, so i will talk to him about this, but wanted to see if any of you have or are going through this?

I know, i remind myself, no medication on the planet will cure me. I'm BP and that's how life is, but, i just don't like feeling almost like i used to feel. Out of control and easily upset. Spending money I don't have to the point where my credit cards have been taken from me. I just feel like im spinning out of control again and i hate this feeling.

Any suggestions or ideas as to why I'm feeling this way??

Thanks so much everyone,
Charlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Why am I feeling this way????

It isn't uncommon for meds to stop working after a certain period of time. This is what happened to me after I started taking Prozac in 1991. After 2 months, my pdoc at the time noticed that it wasn't helping my severe depression, so she switched me to Paxil which worked much better. I'm now back on Prozac 18 years later, but this time, it's working wonderfully well. I've been taking it since January and although it took 8 weeks before I noticed a positive change, I haven't felt severely depressed since December. The same thing may be happening to you. Celexa may no longer be working as well as it did in the past, so your pdoc may need to switch you to a different anti-depressant.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-25-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Celexa is an SSRI. Which are supposed to be notoriously bad for people with bipolar. They can cause mania and increase cycling. None of the pdocs I've even seen (and I've seen many) have ever considered putting me on an SSRI. Ask your pdoc about this.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Since you are taking Lamictal in addition to Celexa, the former should help prevent mania. However, there are always exceptions. I would suggest that you speak to your pdoc if your symptoms persist.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 04-25-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

My pdoc only goes for the SSNRI's also he tries to stay away from the SSRI's if at all possible.

kat

Closed Thread