It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Mixed Episodes

Hi everyone,

As of today, I'm experiencing my third mixed episode. I feel tired, manic and depressed. I can't stand mixed episodes because I hate feeling several emotions at once. Right now I feel like running a marathon and sleeping all day.

My tinnitus and allergies kept me up all night. I've also had a headache for the past 2 days which OTC meds and Imitrex are not touching.

If my health problems continue to bother me, my pdoc will find out that I'm rapid cycling again when he sees my mood chart. If he does, that means he'll probably change my meds. I don't want to fix what isn't broken because I've been doing really well lately.

I won't lie. I'm frustrated because if it isn't one thing, it's another. Just when my moods start to stabilize, I begin to have health problems. Then again, I should have known this was coming since my year round allergies become worse during the spring and summer.

It s*cks to be me right now.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User
Re: Mixed Episodes

That must be awful to experience a mixed episode. From what you've told me on the boards the riperadol and the clonazepam seems to be a good med regimen. It wouldn't be something I would change. I know it hasn't been a very long time being on that med combo I think but there is obviously improvement. You beat your record for the most days without cycling. And your not having psychosis. But this is just my opinion on the matter. If meds have to be switched then thats the ways it'll be. I hope that this mixed episode won't last too long for you.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Last edited by light the world; 05-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Hi everyone,

As of today, I'm experiencing my third mixed episode. I feel tired, manic and depressed. I can't stand mixed episodes because I hate feeling several emotions at once. Right now I feel like running a marathon and sleeping all day.

My tinnitus and allergies kept me up all night. I've also had a headache for the past 2 days which OTC meds and Imitrex are not touching.

If my health problems continue to bother me, my pdoc will find out that I'm rapid cycling again when he sees my mood chart. If he does, that means he'll probably change my meds. I don't want to fix what isn't broken because I've been doing really well lately.

I won't lie. I'm frustrated because if it isn't one thing, it's another. Just when my moods start to stabilize, I begin to have health problems. Then again, I should have known this was coming since my year round allergies become worse during the spring and summer.

It s*cks to be me right now.
Dreamsn,

Don't start freaking out about your pdoc changing your meds, I'm sure that he'll understand that when you have a severe allergy attack it will mess with your BP and may make you slightly unstable. Your not terribly unstable, i.e. psychotic, severely manic, or severely depressed. Try and hold out until Tomorrow when you can get in touch with your GP about a new Allergy med, even if you have to wait to jump through the ins. hoops, she should be able to give you samples. So don't worry yet about having to change meds, that will just raise your stress levels and then you'll get more anxious and the cycle begins.

kat

Old 05-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
That must be awful to experience a mixed episode. From what you've told me on the boards the riperadol and the clonazepam seems to be a good med regimen. It wouldn't be something I would change. I know it hasn't been a very long time being on that med combo I think but there is obviously improvement. You beat your record for the most days without cycling. And your not having psychosis. But this is just my opinion on the matter. If meds have to be switched then thats the ways it'll be. I hope that this mixed episode won't last too long for you.
I started hearing voices this afternoon which I think is due to the fact that I feel moderately depressed and moderately manic (according to the description on my mood chart). I started crying because I feel miserable and am tired of hearing voices. What's the point of taking Risperdal and Clonazepam if I'm going to end up hearing voices anyways?
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Dreamsn,

Don't start freaking out about your pdoc changing your meds, I'm sure that he'll understand that when you have a severe allergy attack it will mess with your BP and may make you slightly unstable. Your not terribly unstable, i.e. psychotic, severely manic, or severely depressed. Try and hold out until Tomorrow when you can get in touch with your GP about a new Allergy med, even if you have to wait to jump through the ins. hoops, she should be able to give you samples. So don't worry yet about having to change meds, that will just raise your stress levels and then you'll get more anxious and the cycle begins.

kat
I already feel anxious because of the tinnitus I'm experiencing. My tinnitus has been bothering me for the past 2 days and I've also had a headache for that period of time as well. I keep hearing a constant medium pitched tone that will not stop. I'm also hearing voices. They're laughing at me right now and telling me how pathetic and weak I am. Fortunately, they have not told me to harm myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. If this keeps up, I'm going to the ER to get a fast-acting med for my headache as well as an allergy med because I don't know how much more of this I can take.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
I already feel anxious because of the tinnitus I'm experiencing. My tinnitus has been bothering me for the past 2 days and I've also had a headache for that period of time as well. I keep hearing a constant medium pitched tone that will not stop. I'm also hearing voices. They're laughing at me right now and telling me how pathetic and weak I am. Fortunately, they have not told me to harm myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. If this keeps up, I'm going to the ER to get a fast-acting med for my headache as well as an allergy med because I don't know how much more of this I can take.
I know this would be a totally scary thing to suggest for you, but if you took your cochlear implant out for a while, perhaps while you were laying down somewhere safe, would that stop the tone sound, or help the tinitus? I don't know much about these things but thought I would toss out the idea.

kat

Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I know this would be a totally scary thing to suggest for you, but if you took your cochlear implant out for a while, perhaps while you were laying down somewhere safe, would that stop the tone sound, or help the tinitus? I don't know much about these things but thought I would toss out the idea.

kat
Thanks for the suggestion Kat.

According to what my audiologist told me, removing my cochlear implants will make the tinnitus worse. She said this is due to the fact that when the brain "hears" other sounds besides tinnitus, it serves as a distraction. Unfortunately though, that doesn't seem to be the case for me.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is too much for me to take.

Someone I care about asked me a question that has me very, very worried. I do not want to mention who it is. Let's just say that if I had known the reason why they asked me this question, I would not have answered it.

Now I'm feeling extremely depressed and my voices are laughing at me because I answered this person's question without asking for clarification.

I'm going to go to the ER to get some meds for my allergies, headache and perhaps an increase in my Fluoxetine if my pdoc thinks it's appropriate after talking to the ER doctor.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Sorry my suggestion was a bust. If you go to the ER make sure and let us know how you are when you get back, unless what they give you knocks you out.

k

Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Sorry my suggestion was a bust. If you go to the ER make sure and let us know how you are when you get back, unless what they give you knocks you out.

k
If truth be told, I hope that whatever they give me does knock me out so that I don't have to feel anything. I hate mixed episodes, tinnitus, headaches and allergies. Anyways, I'll post again after I return if I feel well enough to do so.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi everyone,

Good news! My headache is finally gone, my allergies are under control and I'm no longer hearing voices.

The ER doctor gave me a fast-acting migraine med although I don't know what it was. I didn't ask or care. All I told him was "Give me anything just as long as it stops the pain."

If I continue to have headaches, he recommended I come to the hospital to be given a fast-acting injectable med (which I received today) until my newly increased Topamax dosage starts to take effect.

As far as my allergies are concerned, the ER doctor prescribed 10mg of Singulair which I am supposed to take once/day. He told me that when I speak to my GP tomorrow I should let her know how well Singulair worked (I started experiencing relief within an hour) so that she can file a pre-authorization for insurance approval.

The ER doctor called my pdoc who increased my Depakote to 2000mg and Fluoxetine to 40mg. This is only temporary until this mixed episode passes. He also wanted to raise my Risperdal, but I told the ER doctor to let him know that once the Singulair and fast-acting migraine med started to work, my voices calmed down. My pdoc said that if my voices come back I am to take 9mg/day of Risperdal (since I have 3mg tablets which would equal 3mg in the morning, 3mg at noon and 3mg at bedtime). He also advised me to start taking 2 tablets of Clonazepam 3x/day for as long as I continue to feel manic.

Once my moods start to level out again, I will return to my regular dose of meds.

Long story short, I'm feeling much better!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-03-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

you sure got in and out of there pretty quick! I'm glad the Singulair is working for you I thought it would.

kat

Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
you sure got in and out of there pretty quick! I'm glad the Singulair is working for you I thought it would.

kat
Kat,

The hospital ER that I went to is great. Waiting time is only 15 minutes even if you don't have a serious emergency. It's a smaller hospital, so that may explain why.

I'll let you know what my GP says tomorrow about Singulair and my insurance.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I take singular as well. Works really well for allergies especially for people who have asthma as well.

I find that it can take up to 4 hours waiting for a doctor in the ER. And then even more time just to get checked. 15 minutes woud be awesome.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by under View Post
I take singular as well. Works really well for allergies especially for people who have asthma as well.

I find that it can take up to 4 hours waiting for a doctor in the ER. And then even more time just to get checked. 15 minutes woud be awesome.
How much Singulair do you take?

The hospital I went to is really good about having short waiting times in the ER. I know that's unusual.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread