It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

klight317 HB User
i have no more depression or bipolar thanks to neurofeedback

My name is Kevin, I live in NY and I was diagnosed with depression at age 17 and had been put on paxil, prozac, celexa, zoloft and last I was put on effexor. All were successful for months maybe a year at a time before I needed to make adjustments or changes. Then along came the nightmare 5 years later of my medications not working for me any longer. I developed panic attacks and severe anxiety to accompany my then severe depression. I ended up losing a great job and relationship over this illness. At age 24 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder with manic depression where a mood stabilizer called Depakote was given to me to accompany my anti-depressant Wellbutrin. Anti-depressants would not work for me until I was taking this mood stabilizer with it. It worked for me for 3 years, until I reached a point where I no longer responded to this treatment. I was given Lamictal, a drug that was also a mood stabilizer because obviously the Depakote stopped working for me. That worked for 6 months then stopped. My suicidal thoughts were crowding my mind and I started once again feeling myself hitting rock bottom. My Dr. at the time then started giving me more options of medicationÖ..she tried giving me other mood stabilizers and trying to decrease and increase my Wellbutrin to see if I could find any relief. Nothing was working. She put me back on my Depakote and kept me on Wellbutrin to again try and find something to work for me. I was feeling as if I was on my last leg until she called me in one day, and asked me if I would be interested in trying an alternative treatment that she recommends to patients who stop or donít respond well to chemical treatment, and has a high success rate, and could possibly give me the chance to get off all my medications and stay off them forever. I was absolutely interested and was going to take her up on the offer. She referred me to a Dr. Larsen near me that lives in New Paltz, NY. He is an author and a professor as well. That specializes in a biofeedback treatment in which he issues a simple ďpainlessĒ brainwave treatment through a computer. Itís called LENS ďLow Energy Neurofeedback SystemĒ. He first does a brain scan of the activity in your brain by just putting sensors on various spots of your head. The computer takes a reading and shows the activity of your brainwaves showing where you have abnormal areas. Using magnetic and electrical stimulation (that you donít even feel). It is also used to help children suffering with autism, ADD, ADHD and seizures and believe it or not cures 95% of them completely. To make a long story short, he had told me I would notice a difference between 1 and 10 sessions. He seemed confident he could help me, And that the results are permanent. This seemed too good to be true. I went every Wednesday to this treatment at 5:00. You sit down in a chair while he runs a 15 minute session, without feeling anything at all by putting 3 to 4 sensors on your head at different areas. I left the session and after 4 sessions Iíve noticed that my depression and anxiety was decreasing a huge amount over the next couple weeks, while taking my original dose of depakote 1000mg and 300mg of wellbutrin, are started feeling so good after a while I asked if we could try decreasing my dosages. He thought because I was showing great improvement that he thought it be a good idea to give it a try. Before I started this treatment if I so much as missed one of my pills one day the next day I felt horrible with anxiety and bedridden from lack of motivation and joy. My psychiatrist agreed because she had referred many patients to Dr. Larsen. It was only 7 sessions later we dropped to 500 mg of depakote. And I was fine, soon then to 250mg that I am currently on. I still feel incredible. The best I have ever felt in my life. Itís been 15 sessions later now, I go now every other Wednesday, and Dr. Larsen says to me he doesnít think ill need the treatment much longer. Just until Iím off my medication completely weíll continue. This method is a miracle in my eyes that needs to be practiced by more Doctors. But I understand drug companies would lose mad money if everyone was feeling good enough to get off there medications so its obvious the drug companies would like to keep it quiet. So many suffering people out there struggling with depression and on medication thatís failing them may have another option here. I strongly recommend it, if you wish to get rid of your depression, seizures, anxiety, panic attacks, and schizophrenia or bipolar COMPLETELY and possibly get off most or ALL of your medication. Its worth a try isnít it? you cant put a price on your health. Go get your life back. * removed * Good luck.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-06-2009 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Please don't post links and/or instructions regarding commercial websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Re: i have no more depression or bipolar thanks to neurofeedback

I'm not trying to sound rude, but it sounds too good to be true and I'm tired of being let down by things that are "supposed" to work really well and take care of my symptoms.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

hmm..very interesting. i haven't responded to any medication so far. im starting an outpatient program, and different meds and so forth. i *think* i have borderline personality disorder, although I dont have ALL the 'symptoms'... i was misdiagnosed as bipolar. however, i was never on a good mood stabilizer. i'm scared i won't get better. i have terrible anxiety/ocd kind of/major depression, and my moods go up and down but not in a bipolar way..ughh. can't take this im so nervous i wont get better. i have NO motivation, NO friends, and my family, well I feel i don't fit in with them. blahhhh i might have to look into this..

Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
I'm not trying to sound rude, but it sounds too good to be true and I'm tired of being let down by things that are "supposed" to work really well and take care of my symptoms.
I couldn't agree with you more Llama. Research has proven time and time again that the best treatment protocol for bipolar are meds and therapy.

If someone does not benefit from meds, ECT may be their next best option.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-05-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I also wanted to add that if neurofeedback actually prevented bipolar, everyone would be flocking to have this procedure.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just did an Internet search for "neurofeedback + bipolar" and found that in cases where this procedure is used, the patient receiving it still continues taking meds, so apparently research has not proven that it can eliminate bipolar.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I'm sorry but I still don't get the full picture of this neurofeedback. I don't deny that its working but I don't quite understand what about it is actually helping with the bipolar. Is this a new technology? I've never heard of this? It sounds like it can help with anxiety as well. How does it work?

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

What I don't understand is how neurofeedback can "cure" bipolar since bipolar is biological in nature as well as a chemical imbalance in the brain. How neurofeedback solves that, I'm very curious to know. I'm going to research this on the Internet today and see if I can come up with some answers.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
(male)

klight317 HB User

I dont like to have strong opinions and put doctors down, but neurofeedback has been around a while yet it is not well known. For reasons why in the 1980's a chiropractor wasnt excepted as a legit treatment til now. It just makes sense to me that medication isnt the answer all the time. I beleive if people were to be taken off medication drug companies due to alternative treating would be losing lots of money. This is my opinion. Health insurances do cover most biofeedback. Not many drs know it exists because not many drs use the treatment they are accustomed to chemical meds. I believe however you will see this treatment more well know nin the future. I can only say i thank god that i found it, And tried it, because i have had no symptoms since feburary, its expected to be perminent. but even if it isnt, i can alwasy try meds again. i can say tho its been worth having my life back for the time that i have. i am gonna enjoy it. All i want is to help people and show there are other options. The brain just sometimes needs to be rebooted like a computer. I hope people atleast look it up on the internet. its an interesting technique.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
(male)

klight317 HB User

yes i agree, i will say that saying its a "cure" isnt a good word to use, thats my mistake, but i can say i feel no symptoms, and others ive met who had bipolar and siezures have no more either. i agree that people would flock to it if it was so well known, but if someone told u that health foods would help certain things idt people would flock there either. It isnt a cheap treatment, and only 300 drs in the US use it. so no, it wouldnt be well known, but there is something too it. it isnt something im making up lol. it worked in my case. i do appreciate you looking into it, however i wish people would look at the posative rather than shoot it down with negatives, u can find negatives with anything. that is why its not so popular "right now" because if one person has a bad experience than of course i guess it dont work......but i know more people who hate there medications and have terrible side effects that if in fact this would work for them, it could change ther life. im not gonna say it will work for everyone. just it has for me, and that i have been doing very well

Old 05-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
(male)

klight317 HB User

you should atleast read about it before you dismiss it. I understand medication is the "protocol" for treatment but that may not always be the case for everyone. I can just say it worked for me, and i suffered with depression, bipolar, mania, and PTSD. it isnt a cheap treatment however like ive said health insurances do cover some of it. If you dont have ins. the treatment was costing me 125 out of pocket a week, for 10 weeks. it was worth it. Believe me.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

The reason why people look at neurofeedback as a negative when it comes to treating bipolar is because there haven't been enough research studies to prove its' effectiveness.

Furthermore, a majority of pdocs know that meds are the first line of treatment for bipolar.

Meds may not work for everyone, but remember that some people quit taking meds just because they've tried one or two that don't work. What they fail to realize is that there are a myriad of meds and med combos that DO work.

If neurofeedback worked well for you, that's great, but keep in mind that some of us need meds and undergoing this kind of procedure could cause more harm than good -- especially if we are told we will never have bipolar symptoms again.

Neurofeedback is not a "cure" for bipolar which is what your post suggested given the fact that you said you no longer have symptoms. Anyone reading that statement would be inclined to believe that once they have neurofeedback, they will no longer be symptomatic which is unrealistic -- not to mention life threatening if they decide to stop taking their meds.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-06-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

By the way, I read quite a bit about neurofeedback last night and am not convinced by what I read.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
(male)

klight317 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
By the way, I read quite a bit about neurofeedback last night and am not convinced by what I read.
k im making it up then? dont mean to sound rude, but just because you dont think of it as legit dont mean it cant help others. ive met them and im proof it works. i guess im one of those dont knock it til youve tried it kinda people

Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
(male)

klight317 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
The reason why people look at neurofeedback as a negative when it comes to treating bipolar is because there haven't been enough research studies to prove its' effectiveness.

Furthermore, a majority of pdocs know that meds are the first line of treatment for bipolar.

Meds may not work for everyone, but remember that some people quit taking meds just because they've tried one or two that don't work. What they fail to realize is that there are a myriad of meds and med combos that DO work.

If neurofeedback worked well for you, that's great, but keep in mind that some of us need meds and undergoing this kind of procedure could cause more harm than good -- especially if we are told we will never have bipolar symptoms again.Neurofeedback is not a "cure" for bipolar which is what your post suggested given the fact that you said you no longer have symptoms. Anyone reading that statement would be inclined to believe that once they have neurofeedback, they will no longer be symptomatic which is unrealistic -- not to mention life threatening if they decide to stop taking their meds.
and i didnt say to drop the medication. u do it gradually working with both your neurofeedback dr and your prescribing dr. I was on lamictal, depakote, neurontin, seraquel and many dif types of anti deprassants to accompany them and if all failed me like it was i wasnt gonna wait. i tried it. I was as skeptical as u are about the technique. im not anymore. Please dont discourage people just becasue you feel its not good enough when others could get the same results as i. being i am like evryone else just took a dif. avenue. I had PTSD as well from a head injury. so i have no doubts u will hear more about this someday

Last edited by klight317; 05-06-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Closed Thread