It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Vistaril

Hi,

I've been hypomanic for about a week now, and haven't really slept for 4 nights. My pdoc suggested adding Vistaril to my Lorazepam at night for sleep. Has anyone taken this with good effect? I am leary of taking it for fear of having a hangover, and I have to function during the day.

Thanks for any responses,

Seaturtle

Old 05-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User
Re: Vistaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hi,

I've been hypomanic for about a week now, and haven't really slept for 4 nights. My pdoc suggested adding Vistaril to my Lorazepam at night for sleep. Has anyone taken this with good effect? I am leary of taking it for fear of having a hangover, and I have to function during the day.

Seaturtle
I never took it, but isn't it like an antihistamine like benadryl? I've taken benadryl before, and feel tired. But hell, I'm always tired doesn't matter what I take or don't take. At least you want to function during the day. I don't care to function..just can't function. But it's much better to sleep than not sleep, 4 days of not sleeping I can't imagine. I'd recommend trying it, and if you feel 'hungover' then just don't take it.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Hi,

Seaturtle
Vistaril is an antihistamine with sedative properties that can help one sleep.

You might want to try taking it around 7pm. By 8 or 9pm, you'll feel tired enough to sleep, but won't feel hungover the next morning like you would if you took it at 9 or 10pm. This is what I used to do when I started taking my evening dose of Risperdal. I found that if I took it at 7pm, I didn't wake up feeling groggy.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Thanks for the responses and advice. Do you think I should take it a few hours before the Ativan? I am positing if I do that, I might just slow down enough to relax before the Ativan - but I don't want to run any risks of over-sedation.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Thanks for the responses and advice. Do you think I should take it a few hours before the Ativan? I am positing if I do that, I might just slow down enough to relax before the Ativan - but I don't want to run any risks of over-sedation.
I think that's a good idea Seaturtle. I forgot that you are also taking Ativan. If you take Vistaril several hours before Ativan, it should help reduce the sedated feeling you have.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, perhaps you could try taking Vistaril by itself tonight and if you are unable to sleep, take both of them several hours apart tomorrow.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User

yes everyone has given good advice... you need to function in the day time so need your sleep..

hugs, Caren

Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Seaturtle,

How did things go last night? Did you take Vistaril alone or did you take it with Ativan several hours later? Whatever the case may be, I hope you were able to get some well-deserved sleep.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-19-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Closed Thread