It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User
Depakote for Bipolar II ?

I am thinking of asking my doctor about Depakote. I feel that I am having mixed episodes and that they are rapid cycling. I read more on Bipolar I and Bipolar II and finally found a web page that I could make sense of and understand the differences between them. I feel that I am Bipolar II and have mixed episodes that rapid cycle. I don't know if that is even right or could be but I am definately going to ask my doctor about it. This needs to stop or at least slow down. I have been sleeping alot and that is a sure sign for me (18 hours) and can't function. Other than working I have no want for activities or rather I don't have the energy to try. I have such fatigue and it is driving me up the wall. So I am going to ask about Depakote and pray that this medicine will work for me. I am going to get an appointment and hopefully see my doctor soon. I will keep everyone informed about how this medicine treats me. I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some information on how it treats your symptoms?

Best wishes to all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Depakote for Bipolar II ?

I have BPII and I took Depakote afew years ago, but I can't remember how it affected me completely but I do remember that I was a total zombie on it.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windimeria2000 View Post
I am thinking of asking my doctor about Depakote. I feel that I am having mixed episodes and that they are rapid cycling. I read more on Bipolar I and Bipolar II and finally found a web page that I could make sense of and understand the differences between them. I feel that I am Bipolar II and have mixed episodes that rapid cycle. I don't know if that is even right or could be but I am definately going to ask my doctor about it. This needs to stop or at least slow down. I have been sleeping alot and that is a sure sign for me (18 hours) and can't function. Other than working I have no want for activities or rather I don't have the energy to try. I have such fatigue and it is driving me up the wall. So I am going to ask about Depakote and pray that this medicine will work for me. I am going to get an appointment and hopefully see my doctor soon. I will keep everyone informed about how this medicine treats me. I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some information on how it treats your symptoms?

Best wishes to all
I'm a rapid cycler with BPI and I've been taking Depakote for the past 3 years.

Depakote is one of the mood stabilizers designed to treat rapid cycling, but my cycling wasn't controlled until Fluoxetine and Klonopin were added to my regimen. I've gone from rapid cycling every hour and sometimes every minute to no cycling at all.

Depakote has been a great med for me overall and has prevented me from having a severe manic/psychotic episode.

When I started taking it, I was extremely tired, but this gradually improved within 2 weeks.

Another med you may want to consider for rapid cycling is Lamictal. It is rated second to Depakote in terms of how well it treats rapid cycling.

Of course, experiences vary from person to person and what works well for one person may not work well for another.

By the way, my pdoc wanted to switch me to Lamictal last week (due to the fact that it treats rapid cycling), but I chose to continue taking my current dose of Depakote instead since I'm afraid of having another severe manic/psychotic episode like I did in 2006 and because my moods have remained pretty stable over the past month.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Good luck wind, and let us know how it goes. I was on depakote very briefly, I don't remember how it worked for me.
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
(male)

psukid13 HB User

Is Depakote the "preferred" bipolar medication for Rapid Cycles?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
(male)

MaestroStar HB User

I'm on depakote and it has kept me fairly stable since my diagnosis. It doesn't do much for the depression but keeps the moods level.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroStar View Post
I'm on depakote and it has kept me fairly stable since my diagnosis. It doesn't do much for the depression but keeps the moods level.
From what I understand, Depakote doesn't really address depression, but it will even your moods out enough so that you don't end up swinging too far in either direction. (i.e. mania or depression)
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
(female)

donna990 HB User

Hi,
Yes, it is. Although I am an ultra rapid cycler, my doctor chose to use lithium. My pharmacist said even though it was the first drug introduced for Manic Depression (BP) in the 1950's, it is an oldie but goodie and very inexpensive. Depakote, according to my doctor and pharmacist is a good medication, it just causes severe weight gain which then messes with your tryglcerides which is very dangerous for your heart. Lamictal is another, although expensive as well. Lamictal worked well for me years ago, but not during the recent reintroduction. It's all so complex because there is not one drug that will treat the illness, as say, insulin helps but doesn't cure diabetes. All I can advise is to keep trying. Surround yourself with positive people who are supportive!!!!! Oh....and there is patient assistance available for Lamictal and Depakote for those who are underinsured and uninsured. God Bless!
Donna

Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
(female)

kellyasp52 HB User

Everyone responds differently to meds, but weight gain is practically universal with this drug. Even if you did not eat, you will still gain weight. I gained 30 lbs. on Depakote. It also made me really tired. I had to sleep 12 hours a day. I take Tegretol now. I don't know if its working now. I think its my antidepressant that does not work. But the Tegretol will keep you thin. There are other side effects though. I have neurological deficits (trouble remembering words, speaking difficulties). Its embarrassing. This is all part of the curse of bipolar. As if its not bad enough to have it, then there's the side effects of the meds. Its enough to exhaust a person.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
(male)

mp31318 HB User

I agree completely, I started on an antidepressant, pushing me into a manic episode. I felt wired, like too much coffee, but tired at the same time, my vision started getting blurry and my thoughts very rapid and driven, motivated, but unorganized and relentless.

My Dr. started me on lithium, which I responded well to. However, I was working out consistently at the time I started the drug. two weeks into therapy, I stopped working out, and the effects of the drug also decreased to the point where I could feel it wasnt enough, narrow therapeutic range. Then because of my anxiety I took measure into my own hands and started double dosing. Which combined with my clonopin, irregular eating and constant exposure to medication, made me bleed in my upper GI tract.

Once I started lithium, my anxiety, left unaddressed, took over. I was panicking all the time, started up on klonopin. That was the best combination I had until I got the tarry stool. I was in and out of four hospitals until i started shitting out old blood. It was painful, frustrating, debilitating process, all while I had school on top of that.

Then I was switched to Buspar, which made me super tired, dizzy, and incapacitated for the first week I took. Again, my panick and noncompliance with instructions made me take too much buspar then I panicked and quit the medication altogether, had the worst withdrawal, lightening zaps in my brain. all the while hospitals telling me Im fine.

Then my doc gave me xanax and antidepressant light does to see if it would work with the lithium to help instead of using xanax long term. It pushed me into more drug induced mania. Then I went abroad for vacation for three months, stupid on my part not being completely stable but I planned this for a year and a half. I had to wean off of xanax cause it was the only thing helping me with the lithium, then I had panick symptoms all the time weaning off of it. Then I went to the hospital for gastroenteritis, found out i have prostatitis on top of that, was treated for both, turns out the prostatitis is non bacterial, goodie, another problem you cant solve, just cope.

While abroad keep in mind, Then for the past month and a half I have been feeling nauseous and fatigued, I have had panick symptoms here and there, the docs abroad didnt want to give me meds for more than a month even though it cost money to travel and get more meds. I was on Clorazepate while abroad and it works well. not too hard or soft, after a week aor two you start feeling an effect aftger the main dose wears off. I had that with Valium to sleep. Combination worked pretty well. I ran out of the medication. Went back to the hospital because of panic attacks manifesting itself by me feeling symptoms of high blood pressure by being off anti anxiety medication. Started feeling fatigued and that the lithium wasnt enough while not working out, so I started taking allowed dosage by docs instructins. That gave me a full feeling in my brain, pressure, like it was too much, scared me so I went off meds completely, since then things have been a wreck, but it seems like things have been a wreck ever since.

Now Im homw trying to get school done and wanted to try something different so my doc said trileptal. Now I am suffering from light sensitivity, itchiness, blothes (looks like bug bits, on skin, that itch. and above all my last semester of school and the worst side effect is being confused, stupid, and short term memory impairment. This is rediculous. A mess.

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with depakote, just had to find somewhere toget it off my chest.

Good luck to you with depakote, honestly I hope no side effects and it all works out. different side effects for everyone, neurochemistry nd biochemistry is different, really is not point asking ppl what happened to them besides get an idea of what could happen, only way to know for sure is by trying it yourself, which is the downfall and blessing of drugs.

Sincerely frustrated,

mp31318

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #11
(female)

CardiGirl HB User
Smile Re: Depakote for Bipolar II ?

]I take depekote for that and to me it makes me calm and able to think straight, but its not the same for everyone

Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

My Dad took a small dosage of Depakote for BP2 and it did seem to help. He had no side effects but did develop neuropathy in his feet, so I'm not sure if it would have happened anyway....

Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I have BP II and I took Depakote for awhile. It was somewhat effective, but it gave me a tremor so I stopped it and switched meds.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
(female)

TannyCoaster HB User

Just started Depakote yesterday. My doctor has had 20 years of experience with Bipolar and swears by the drug. I have high hopes that Depakote will help me and hope it will be the answer for you as well. I'm a little drowsy today, but side affects are common.... Good luck to you!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

AngeInBoston HB User

I have taken Depakote for quite a few years, because after trying others this is what felt the best for me. I did keep asking for an anti-depressant to add to it but my Psych wouldn't let me because he said it would just trigger my mania which for me is raging anger. He kept suggesting Lithium, but I was afraid of it, for some reason I thought it was a heavy duty drug that made you a drooling zombie. I've also been taking Clonazepam for anxiety episodes for years. I recently added the Lithium, and I think it is helping me feel a bit happier. Good Luck!

Reply Reply