It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

amy8 HB User
just wanted to tell my story

Hi everyone im new here and just wanted to tell my story about living with my mum who suffers from bipolar disorder. My mum was first disagnosed with Bipolar when my older sister whos now 24 was born. Although ive grown up with her having this illness my whole life everytime she becomes unwell it never gets any easier. My mum suffers severly from Bipolar disorder and is on a lot of medication for her condition- shes takes Effexor, Effxor excel, priadel, seriquel, lithium, olanzipine, and then alot of medication ending in pam narazipam etc (i cant spell their names correctly). she usually gets unwell roughly every two/three years which requires her to be sectioned in a pysciatric hospital for very long periods of time (after each admission it usually takes just over a year and half for her to be finally discharged and starting to feel better. Whenever mum becomes unwell she starts going high (manic) it starts slowly, with her not sleeping, spending a lot of money, feeling really excited all the time and generally being really really happy with life however this quickly progresses to her becoming uncontrollable, violent, having irrational thoughts and she becomes a danger to herself and others. Everytime shes manic she becomes obsessed with religion- thinking shes the second coming and that she needs to save the world. This is strange because when my mums herself shes not very religious at all. When shes manic shes a completely different person, its likes my mums not even there anymore, she changes so dramatically- shes very irritable and mean and says the worst most evilest things possible to the people that she loves. These manic episodes are always very explosive and end with her having to be sectioned in a psyciatric hospital. the following months are spent with doctors taking her off all her anti-depressants to try and get her to come down from the high. When she eventually does come down she goes into a severe depression, she has no hope,thinks she will never get well again and often attempts suicide. Doctors then try her on an assortment of various different medications that have awful side effects and lots of E.C.T before trying her on the anti-depressant effexor which is the only tablet that seems to work for my mum and after a while this starts to make her feel better.I dont know why they dont just try her on that first whenever shes depressed instead of a range of different tablets that never work, but her psychiatrist never listens to her family. on many occasions we have spoke to him and told him that we dont want mum to have any more ECT treatments as its a very traumatic experience for her and has sadly left her with a very poor memory. shes had over 100 ECT since being diagnosed. when my mums well shes so amazing and i love her so much, we have a wonderful relationship and shes just such a lovely person to evryone! however when shes unwell our relationship really suffers. When she starts to become unwell I get so sad because its like ive lost her and i know that it will take a really long time for her to get well again. after a while i get used to the fact that shes sick and it becomes my "normality" once again but its like i become completely numb towards her. I know that sounds so harsh. she recently took sick again and is currently in hospital having a manic episode. Her doc has recently put on the drug Chlopixel however when on it she says she feels like murdering somone and shes become extremly violent (more so than any other times that shes been manic)...has anyone ever been on this drug and had similar side effects or heard anything about this drug causing people to become violent? Im sorry this is such a long post . I was wondering if there is anyone else here whos grown up with a parent with bipolar or is a parent sufferring with bipolar would be interesting to hear their experiences or offering any advice on how they cope? I also worry a lot that i too could get bipolar disorder because ive read that its heriderty and that really terrifies me because ive seen the effect its had on my mother.
Thanks for listening Amy xo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: just wanted to tell my story

Welcome to the board Amy.

I've been diagnosed with bipolar for the past 3 years and am only now coming to terms with my diagnosis.

In regards to your mother and mania, it isn't uncommon for people to be hyper-religious when they are manic. I know several people with bipolar who do not believe in God, but when they are manic, they believe they are speaking to Jesus Christ, they have special powers that God has given the or believe that they are Jesus Christ himself.

I look forward to hearing more from you. Please feel free to ask questions, vent and contribute anytime.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

I've never heard of that drug, chlopixel. Anyone else heard of it? I tried to find some information about it for you but couldn't seem to find anything on it.

And I just wanted to say that I'm very sorry that you and your mother have to go through this horrible disease. I hope your mum feels better soon.
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wanted to add that Clopixol is an antipsychotic used to treat hallucinations and paranoia. If you have any specific questions about this med, I would be happy to answer them. I studied medical transcription for 2.5 years and am pretty familiar with most of the meds used to treat mental illness.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

amy8 HB User

Thank you both for your kind words and warm welcome to the board
Llama thanks for going to the trouble of trying to find out information on the drug clopixal for me i really appreciate it
Dreams of Neon have you ever heard of clopixal causing extreme irritability and violence? my mum keeps violently attacking people since being on this med and im not sure if its the nature of her high this time or the side effects of this drug. shes never ususally been this violent when manic before. Shes now being kept in complete solitary refinement in the hospital. the doc was talking about trying her on haliperidol 10mg injection to try and settle her which hopefully should work. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Amy,

Just wanted to say welcome to the Board. Please come anytime to talk or vent or whatever you need, we will try to help you with anything you need. I'm sure at times you feel like your going to loose it haveing to deal with this awful disease. Your mum is so lucky to have such a wonderful daughter to be so dedicated to her and to take care of her, you sound like a very sweet, caring person.

kat

Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
(female)

amy8 HB User

Thank you Kat! im so glad I joined this forum its really helpful. i dont know why I never joined sooner! its nice to get advice from such lovely people who understand what its like!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy8 View Post
Thank you both for your kind words and warm welcome to the board
Llama thanks for going to the trouble of trying to find out information on the drug clopixal for me i really appreciate it
Dreams of Neon have you ever heard of clopixal causing extreme irritability and violence? my mum keeps violently attacking people since being on this med and im not sure if its the nature of her high this time or the side effects of this drug. shes never ususally been this violent when manic before. Shes now being kept in complete solitary refinement in the hospital. the doc was talking about trying her on haliperidol 10mg injection to try and settle her which hopefully should work. Thanks so much for your help!
Antipsychotics can and do cause irritability.

At the same time, it could also be caused by your mother's mania.

When I had my first manic/psychotic episode in 2006, I was extremely irritable/combative. Four nurses had to hold my arms and legs to inject me with antipsychotics and mood stabilizers.

I hope Haldol (Haliperidol) makes a positive difference for your mother.

I was given Haldol during my IP stay in 2006 and although it made me catatonic for 17 hours, it did settle me down to the point where I was no longer running away from hospital staff or severely paranoid.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-27-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
(female)

amy8 HB User

Thanks dreams of neon for sharin your experiences with me. i think that the voilent outbursts are because shes manic at the minute. Im glad to hear that when you took a manic episode Haliperidol helped to settle you a little, hopefully this will work for my mum too. I just heard that they started giving her the injection of it today so we will see. I think i remember her being on this med before and it made her very zombie like.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy8 View Post
Thanks dreams of neon for sharin your experiences with me. i think that the voilent outbursts are because shes manic at the minute. Im glad to hear that when you took a manic episode Haliperidol helped to settle you a little, hopefully this will work for my mum too. I just heard that they started giving her the injection of it today so we will see. I think i remember her being on this med before and it made her very zombie like.
In my case, I was extremely paranoid and psychotic, so that's probably why they gave me a very high dose of Haliperidol.

Fortunately, I was able to calm down after 17 hours. Once I did, I was switched to Geodon from that point on until the day before I was discharged.

I wish you and your mother all the best!
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 05-27-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Closed Thread