It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User
Question zoloft, prozac??

I have real bad anxiety, obsession thoughts, social anxiety, and depression. I thought the zoloft was helping, but then I sink backwards. I don't know what causes this. I want to be "cured"... I can't imagine living a normal life ever again. Maybe prozac would work better, I have no idea. All I know is they aren't going to change the anti-depressant right now because they are starting me on Lamictal soooo blah. I'm so blah. No real feelings of joy. No sex drive. I feel like a robot. And I don't have a clear diagnosis which is eating away at me. i can't control my emotions. it's like a rollercoaster. i'll think of something, be happy, then think of something which brings up the sad feelings. and yeah i'm rambling if anyone reads this thanks.......

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: zoloft, prozac??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarPrincess View Post
I have real bad anxiety, obsession thoughts, social anxiety, and depression. I thought the zoloft was helping, but then I sink backwards. I don't know what causes this. I want to be "cured"... I can't imagine living a normal life ever again. Maybe prozac would work better, I have no idea. All I know is they aren't going to change the anti-depressant right now because they are starting me on Lamictal soooo blah. I'm so blah. No real feelings of joy. No sex drive. I feel like a robot. And I don't have a clear diagnosis which is eating away at me. i can't control my emotions. it's like a rollercoaster. i'll think of something, be happy, then think of something which brings up the sad feelings. and yeah i'm rambling if anyone reads this thanks.......
My experience probably won't make a difference since your pdoc most likely will not change your meds, but I'll share it anyways.

I used to take Lithium and Prozac in 1991 for my severe depression and psychosis. The latter didn't help me back then, so I was switched to a combo of Lithium and Paxil. Both of these meds worked much better for me.

I'm now back on Prozac again and have been taking it since January. It took 8 weeks to start working, but so far, it's doing a great job of controlling my depression.

I've been struggling as of late with severe depression, but this is only because of feelings I've kept inside for so long.

Putting that aside, I haven't been depressed since December.

When I was IP in December, I asked the attending pdoc if he could put me on an anti-depressant, but he said he'd prefer not to given my history of rapid cycling and the potential to induce mania.

I asked my new pdoc if we could give it a try and he agreed. I'm thankful for this because ever since I've been on Prozac, my depressive episodes have been less frequent and milder in nature.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-01-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

Quote:
I've been on zoloft for depression and social anxiety. Did really well for me up until it made me hypomanic. I was put on a mood stabilizer but had to come off of it still because I couldn't get any sleep for 5 days. How long have you been on zoloft?

Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Ahhhh BP I wish I had a magic wand and could make you feel better. But remember you're strong and you can get through this, it won't be forever you will have a stable normal life again. Getting through the Lamictal activation phase can be a pain, but it will all be worth it if it makes you do so much better. PM me if you want to yell, scream, rant and rave, you know I'm always there for you.

Kat

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I was on the SSRI's, and they helped me not a bit. It's just my experience. It was the Lamictal that helped my depression for the first time in my life.

You might want to wait until you have lamictal at a therpeutic dose. It takes a while to work - how long are you on it?

But for others, as for Dreams, Prozac has worked well. Have patience, it takes a while to get the meds in line. You'll feel better once you do that.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hi,

I was on the SSRI's, and they helped me not a bit. It's just my experience. It was the Lamictal that helped my depression for the first time in my life.

You might want to wait until you have lamictal at a therpeutic dose. It takes a while to work - how long are you on it?

But for others, as for Dreams, Prozac has worked well. Have patience, it takes a while to get the meds in line. You'll feel better once you do that.
Seaturtle brought up a very good point about Lamictal. Until you reach a therapeutic dose, it may take a little while before you notice any positive change in your moods. In the meantime, try to hang in there.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
My experience probably won't make a difference since your pdoc most likely will not change your meds, but I'll share it anyways.

I used to take Lithium and Prozac in 1991 for my severe depression and psychosis. The latter didn't help me back then, so I was switched to a combo of Lithium and Paxil. Both of these meds worked much better for me.

I'm now back on Prozac again and have been taking it since January. It took 8 weeks to start working, but so far, it's doing a great job of controlling my depression.

I've been struggling as of late with severe depression, but this is only because of feelings I've kept inside for so long.

Putting that aside, I haven't been depressed since December.

When I was IP in December, I asked the attending pdoc if he could put me on an anti-depressant, but he said he'd prefer not to given my history of rapid cycling and the potential to induce mania.

I asked my new pdoc if we could give it a try and he agreed. I'm thankful for this because ever since I've been on Prozac, my depressive episodes have been less frequent and milder in nature.
Yeah they are always scared of putting bipolar people on AD's. I was on AD's alone all my life and was fine. Besides being emotional and apparently borderline. Ugh somethings gotta give though for the social anxiety and anti-socialness I feel at times. I read my diary when I was like 13, I was writing about how I had no real friends and preferred staying in on Fridays when other kids were out doing things. Maybe I'm a loner, introverted in some ways, but I'm actually the opposite sometimes depending on my self esteem that day and anxiety. It's annoying.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Old 06-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by light the world View Post
I've been on zoloft for depression and social anxiety. Did really well for me up until it made me hypomanic. I was put on a mood stabilizer but had to come off of it still because I couldn't get any sleep for 5 days. How long have you been on zoloft?
It's doing pretty well I suppose. I still have my 'times'... I have been on 150mgs for about 3 weeks now.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Yeah they are always scared of putting bipolar people on AD's. I was on AD's alone all my life and was fine. Besides being emotional and apparently borderline. Ugh somethings gotta give though for the social anxiety and anti-socialness I feel at times. I read my diary when I was like 13, I was writing about how I had no real friends and preferred staying in on Fridays when other kids were out doing things. Maybe I'm a loner, introverted in some ways, but I'm actually the opposite sometimes depending on my self esteem that day and anxiety. It's annoying.
The whole darn BP thing is annoying isn't it, never knowing what your doing form one day to the next, up or down....it really bites. Hopefully once you get up to the therapeutic dose of lamictal things will level out for you.

kat

Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaturtle View Post
Hi,

They help me a little with depression, but A LOT for anxiety/social phobias and obsessing and stuff. I hope the Lamictal works as well as it has for a lot of you for depression. I've only been on it a few weeks. Just on 50 mgs right now... 800 of neurontin which isn't doing anything. I know neurontin can be used for moods and anxiety, but 800 is sooo low seeing it goes up to the 3000's. So i don't know. You know how pdocs are, changing one thing at a time to see how it helps/doesn't help and side effects and such. I'm so impatient lol.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yeah they are always scared of putting bipolar people on AD's.
The attending pdoc who oversaw my treatment when I was IP in December was reluctant to put me on an anti-depressant due to my history of rapid cycling and fear of inducing mania. I've been on Prozac since January and haven't had a manic episode yet. The only exception was a mixed episode I had 3 weeks ago, but that was triggered by some health problems I had -- not Prozac.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-01-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
They help me a little with depression, but A LOT for anxiety/social phobias and obsessing and stuff. I hope the Lamictal works as well as it has for a lot of you for depression. I've only been on it a few weeks. Just on 50 mgs right now... 800 of neurontin which isn't doing anything. I know neurontin can be used for moods and anxiety, but 800 is sooo low seeing it goes up to the 3000's. So i don't know. You know how pdocs are, changing one thing at a time to see how it helps/doesn't help and side effects and such. I'm so impatient lol.
BP,

Are you taking the Neurontin for sleep or as an adjunct to teh lamictal?

kat

Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Changing meds one at a time is really the only way a pdoc can determine which med is responsible for causing certain symptoms. It's frustrating, but if pdocs start changing several meds at once, it would be impossible for them to know what exactly is going on and why.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

BipolarPrincess HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
BP,

Are you taking the Neurontin for sleep or as an adjunct to teh lamictal?

kat
Ehh was taking 1600mgs for my "mood stabilizer" since I am "bipolar" in their eyes, but it didn't do anything. Didn't even help my depression, nor anxiety. So I cut it back to 800, no difference.

Meds:
Lexapro 20mgs
Lithium 600mgs
Trazadone 100mgs

Closed Thread