It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
(male)

BrownCore HB User
Trying Trileptal.

The doctor had me stop taking Lamictal because my blood tests showed my white blood cells were at the danger level.

After about a month of being off of Lamictal, the tests came back normal, so my immune system bounced back.

After a manic episode a few weeks ago, it was apparent that I certainly did need a new mood stabilizer, so he mentioned Trileptal, then Lithium.

One of the first things I found when researching Trileptal is that it is especially known for being great as far as messing with white blood cell levels, due to adding an oxygen atom to Tegretol (carbamazepine), the white blood cell problem was basically solved.

It was good to see my doctor keeps up with his studies and knows what he is doing.

I assume he wanted to try Trileptal first rather than Lithium due to the side effect profile.

I think the Trileptal is making me a little bit sleepy (right now I'm at 600mg/day, going up to 1200).

Hopefully, the side effects at a full dose are tolerable.

So, currently, the cocktail is:
600 mg Seroquel, bedtime
20 mg Celexa
600 mg Trileptal

Any experience with Trileptal/decreased white blood cell levels?

Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Trying Trileptal.

Sounds like your pdoc is on his toes, thats good. As for the sleepiness, alot of that usually goes away the higher the dosage goes...hopefully it will work that way for you.

Let us know how it goes for you.

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCore View Post
The doctor had me stop taking Lamictal because my blood tests showed my white blood cells were at the danger level.

After about a month of being off of Lamictal, the tests came back normal, so my immune system bounced back.

After a manic episode a few weeks ago, it was apparent that I certainly did need a new mood stabilizer, so he mentioned Trileptal, then Lithium.

One of the first things I found when researching Trileptal is that it is especially known for being great as far as messing with white blood cell levels, due to adding an oxygen atom to Tegretol (carbamazepine), the white blood cell problem was basically solved.

It was good to see my doctor keeps up with his studies and knows what he is doing.

I assume he wanted to try Trileptal first rather than Lithium due to the side effect profile.

I think the Trileptal is making me a little bit sleepy (right now I'm at 600mg/day, going up to 1200).

Hopefully, the side effects at a full dose are tolerable.

So, currently, the cocktail is:
600 mg Seroquel, bedtime
20 mg Celexa
600 mg Trileptal

Any experience with Trileptal/decreased white blood cell levels?
I don't take Trileptal, but I've been on Depakote for the past 3 years and experienced significant tiredness after I started this med. My symptoms gradually disappeared within the first 2 weeks of taking my initial dose. You may want to wait another week or so to see if your exhaustion improves. If not, I would defintely advise your pdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 06-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
(male)

BrownCore HB User

I'm not sure if I'm just naturally cycling out of my depression, but I have felt pretty damn good the past few days.

I read that unlike Lamictal, Trileptal is not known to really be that great against depressive symptoms.

Not sure if that's holding true for me, because I feel pretty awesome right now.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm just naturally cycling out of my depression, but I have felt pretty damn good the past few days.

I read that unlike Lamictal, Trileptal is not known to really be that great against depressive symptoms.

Not sure if that's holding true for me, because I feel pretty awesome right now.
Maybe your sleepiness is finally subsiding.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
(male)

BrownCore HB User

Yeah, it is subsiding.

I'm surprised at how quickly I started to feel better after taking this.

It's not known to be that great with depression...which Lamictal seems to be known for.
That's actually why I was prescribed Lamictal in the first place (I'm sure that's why)...as my first med when I started treatment 2 years ago.

Last edited by BrownCore; 06-08-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yeah, it is subsiding.

I'm surprised at how quickly I started to feel better after taking this.

It's not known to be that great with depression...which Lamictal seems to be known for.
That's actually why I was prescribed Lamictal in the first place (I'm sure that's why)...as my first med when I started treatment 2 years ago.
Your post is a perfect example of how meds work differently for each of us.

I'm glad to hear that Trileptal is working well for you.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

I was given Trileptal about 3 months ago (600 mg.) at bedtime. I have PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety. I dont really think it is working for me. I was supposed to up it to 900 mg. but I did not do that. I hate to keep increasing medications that I dont think are helping. Good Luck to all!!!

Closed Thread