It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User
Sleeping 16 hours a day

For the past week (at least) I have been sleeping upwards of about 16 hours a day. I can't stop this, as much as I want to! I hate sleeping so much. I feel like I'm sleeping my life away! I am wondering if it is the meds, but then again teh ones that I'm on aren't supposed to be that sedating.

I am beginning to wonder if there is seriously something wrong with me, like physical health-wise.

Or could it just be part of the bipolar?

I plan on bringing this up to my new pdoc. I brought it up to the old one and he just kind of brushed it off and said, "Oh, well I don't know why you'd be sleeping that much..." Nothing more was said of the topic.
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 06-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Sleeping 16 hours a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
For the past week (at least) I have been sleeping upwards of about 16 hours a day. I can't stop this, as much as I want to! I hate sleeping so much. I feel like I'm sleeping my life away! I am wondering if it is the meds, but then again teh ones that I'm on aren't supposed to be that sedating.

I am beginning to wonder if there is seriously something wrong with me, like physical health-wise.

I plan on bringing this up to my new pdoc. I brought it up to the old one and he just kind of brushed it off and said, "Oh, well I don't know why you'd be sleeping that much..." Nothing more was said of the topic.
Have you noticed a change in your overall energy level or eating patterns?

Have you started any new meds recently?

From what you've written, it sounds to me like you are experiencing a depressive episode.

At the same time, if the answer to my second question is "yes," this could also mean you are having side effects.

I would definitely bring this up with your new pdoc. I'm sorry your old pdoc had nothing useful to say.

I find it interesting that he couldn't even hazard a guess as to what might be going on.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-08-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I think Dreams is right. When I saw your post, I wanted to ask you if you felt depressed, or if this is just something physical.
It does sound like meds, if you've changed recently, or depression, but I would get checked out by a doctor, too, just to make sure.
Have you had this kind of period before?

Seaturtle

Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User

I get like that if my meds aren't completely right. Sounds like you need your meds twicked a little.

Hope this message finds you doing better.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:

llama,

sometimes we just need to sleep, sometimes part of depression, sometimes due to change in meds. i think i read here that tradozone and ativan are sleeping aids so as suggested maybe you could speak to your pdoc. i am usually up at seven am but usually take a nap during the day and somehow i always think that this is a better sleep than i get at night! good luck with it all

iw

Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Yes, my energy levels seem to be down. I barely feel like going to the gym. I didn't yesterday and just stayed in bed until almost 5pm! Then I went to bed again at around 10pm! I did absolutely nothing yesterday and cried myself to sleep.

But today I'm feeling a bit better. I got myself out of bed around noon and went to the gym. Also, I have my volleyball league tonight. Which always makes me nearly panic from anxiety, but when I actually start playing and am with friends I usually calm down a little. It doesn't start until 7pm or so, but I'm already feeling that anxiety creep up!!!!! And since my afternoon dose of ativan was dropped by my new pdoc, well that just isn't helping matters!

I hope this post finds everyone well! How are you guys doing today?
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg

Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yes, my energy levels seem to be down. I barely feel like going to the gym. I didn't yesterday and just stayed in bed until almost 5pm! Then I went to bed again at around 10pm! I did absolutely nothing yesterday and cried myself to sleep.

But today I'm feeling a bit better. I got myself out of bed around noon and went to the gym. Also, I have my volleyball league tonight. Which always makes me nearly panic from anxiety, but when I actually start playing and am with friends I usually calm down a little. It doesn't start until 7pm or so, but I'm already feeling that anxiety creep up!!!!! And since my afternoon dose of ativan was dropped by my new pdoc, well that just isn't helping matters!

Glad you're feeling better today Llama.

As for myself, I'm irritable because my allergies are continuing to bother me. I've been congested, sneezing and coughing over the past several days. My GP prescribed 2 meds (a nasal spray and an inhaler) that I am supposed to take in addition to my allergy med, so I'm hoping they will help give me some relief.

Unfortunately, I can't go to the drugstore today because it's too late and it is the middle of rush hour right now. (I live near a busy highway that I need to cross in order to reach the drugstore.)

Instead, I'll stop by tomorrow after I see my new tdoc.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-09-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:

llama,

hi again, that is great to hear that you got yourself to the gymn, big achievement. hope you got to your volleyball and that it went ok. i usually take a xanax or a klonopin before i have to face anything that makes me really anxious. am delighted you are feeling a bit better. haven't gone for a walk or a swim yet this week but i have a throat infection so i guess i have some excuse! it usually lasts about three days so maybe i'll get back into it later in the week or at the weekend.

iw

Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
Glad you're feeling better today Llama.

As for myself, I'm irritable because my allergies are continuing to bother me. I've been congested, sneezing and coughing over the past several days. My GP prescribed 2 meds (a nasal spray and an inhaler) that I am supposed to take in addition to my allergy med, so I'm hoping they will help give me some relief.

Unfortunately, I can't go to the drugstore today because it's too late and it is the middle of rush hour right now. (I live near a busy highway that I need to cross in order to reach the drugstore.)

Instead, I'll stop by tomorrow after I see my new tdoc.
hi dreams,

your allergies really give you hell. hope the spray and inhaler work for you and you get some relief. good look with new tdoc. always difficult to change therapists. i haven't yet got a new one but feel at the moment that pdoc is sufficient for the moment as i talk to him every day and see him fairly regularly. take care

iw

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishwriter View Post
hi dreams,

your allergies really give you hell. hope the spray and inhaler work for you and you get some relief. good look with new tdoc. always difficult to change therapists. i haven't yet got a new one but feel at the moment that pdoc is sufficient for the moment as i talk to him every day and see him fairly regularly. take care

iw
iw,

I'm doing much better now in terms of my allergies. I picked up my 2 prescriptions (a nasal spray and inhaler) and both of them are doing a great job of keeping my allergies under control. I was able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in weeks.

My new tdoc is wonderful. I felt as if I accomplished more with him during my initial appointment last week than I have with my old tdoc in 3 sessions.

I'm scheduled to see my new tdoc this afternoon, so I will be sure to let you know how everything goes.

I'm looking forward to meeting with him because my tdoc believes in allowing a person to feel the emotions they do without minimizing or discounting them.

He plans to teach me how to use a combination of mindfulness and CBT to deal with my bipolar, PTSD/traumas, voices and paranoia. This will allow me to experience my feelings as they occur while learning how to cope with them in a productive manner.

He also believes in allowing me to express the anger, hurt, frustration, confusion, grief and depression I feel regarding my diagnosis and said it was a significant breakthrough for me to be able to cry for the first time in 3 years about my diagnosis when I saw my old tdoc 2 weeks ago.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-10-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Sorry to hear that you have a throat infection iw! That's a major bummer! I hate it when my throat hurts, it's so annoying. And don't worry to much about getting some exercise in. Since you're not feeling well, I wouldn't push it.

And dreams, I'm going right over to your post about your tdoc now to read and post to you about it!
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg

Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
And dreams, I'm going right over to your post about your tdoc now to read and post to you about it!
I just read your post and wrote a response of my own.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

iw,

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Like Llama, I also can't stand it when my throat hurts. I become cranky and am a very difficult person to be around. I hope you feel better soon! (((iw)))
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams in neon View Post
iw,

I'm doing much better now in terms of my allergies. I picked up my 2 prescriptions (a nasal spray and inhaler) and both of them are doing a great job of keeping my allergies under control. I was able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in weeks.

My new tdoc is wonderful. I felt as if I accomplished more with him during my initial appointment last week than I have with my old tdoc in 3 sessions.

I'm scheduled to see my new tdoc this afternoon, so I will be sure to let you know how everything goes.

I'm looking forward to meeting with him because my tdoc believes in allowing a person to feel the emotions they do without minimizing or discounting them.

He plans to teach me how to use a combination of mindfulness and CBT to deal with my bipolar, PTSD/traumas, voices and paranoia. This will allow me to experience my feelings as they occur while learning how to cope with them in a productive manner.

He also believes in allowing me to express the anger, hurt, frustration, confusion, grief and depression I feel regarding my diagnosis and said it was a significant breakthrough for me to be able to cry for the first time in 3 years about my diagnosis when I saw my old tdoc 2 weeks ago.
dreams,

glad to hear allergies are under control. it gives you some space to deal with everything else. my pdoc uses mindfulness and cbt in my treatment and i find it pretty good for helping to control anticipatory anxiety. he also always takes into consideration how i'm feeling at any time. yesterday he said that we would make no decisions until throat is better because feeling unwell usually contributes to feeling really down. it is marvellous to have found a good tdoc. i haven't even checked if my old one has been replaced. it involves going through another psychiatrist (the public one) who is a total prat! i actually don't really mind the infection as i used to get them all the time so once in a while it is not too bad. i don't even got to doc with it as regardless of antibiotics it sorts itself out in three or four days. it seems to be my default mechanism when i've been under stress although it hasn't happened in a while, lately migraine had replaced it and this is far better than a debilitating migraine!

hope tdoc appointment went as well as previous one. you are in my thoughts.

iw

Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you have a throat infection iw! That's a major bummer! I hate it when my throat hurts, it's so annoying. And don't worry to much about getting some exercise in. Since you're not feeling well, I wouldn't push it.

thanks llama, hopefully it will be better by tomorrow or the next day. my son is due home today and even though i enjoy him it is only when he is gone for a few days that my daughter and i realise what a big presence he is! of course there is also the fact that he prefers me to cook for him than cooking himself! so for the last five days i haven't had to cook dinner. megan and i would just have soup, sandwiches or she'll have pasta and i'll just have cereal! a nice break from thinking of things to have as dinner. am always trying to make sure it is something different for a couple of weeks so they don't get tired of any particular meal.

i hope things have improved for you?

iw

Closed Thread