It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
What do you think?

lately I have noticed some on this site not taking bipolar medications to treat their illness and it s symthoms.....so
How important is taking medications?

I take zyprexa everyday and my moods are stable.

hugs, Caren

Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User
Re: What do you think?

I think it"s different for everyone. Can manage without them, but for myself, I definitely cannot. I'd say if you can function better and get your symptoms under control with medication, do that, and if you find you are okay with therapy and mindfulness and whatever other techniques your todoc recommends, go with that.
It seems as if you've answered your own question for yourself. If the Zyprexa is working, then it's necessary, I'd say.

Best o you, Carin,

Seaturtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irishwriter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post
lately I have noticed some on this site not taking bipolar medications to treat their illness and it s symthoms.....so

hugs, Caren
hi caren,

some people try to go without meds but i have found that when i do that and convince myself i am doing well am usually manic during those times and find that when the depressive mode hits it gets worse each time as does anxiety. i take about seven different meds now and while it is somewhat better than other combos it still needs tweaking for it to work completely. this is the first combo in twenty years that had helped at all. i think once we accept that this is a disease with accompanying symptom meds can be essential with therapy to make any headway in dealing with it or at least making it easier to deal with and work towards some kind of normal life and being able to be sad without being suicidal and happy without being ecstatic. good to hear that your moods are stable. i would say to those who do battle without the aid of meds that if they were asthmatic or diabetic etc. they would not hesitate to treat these diseases so why should bp be any different.

iw

Old 06-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User

I think medication and some form of therapy is very important for a bipolar person. Actually this board is a type of therapy for me and it is working great.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post

hugs, Caren
I know several people with BPII who do not take meds and are doing well with therapy only.

As Seaturtle said, each person is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

In my case, not being on meds is not an option. I stopped taking my meds for a week during a manic episode because I felt on top of the world and as if I no longer needed them. It wasn't long before my voices, delusions and paranoia returned. Once I resumed my meds, I was back to feeling level.

The second time I stopped taking meds was several weeks ago when manic. I was extremely irritable and the thought of having to take a Klonopin to control my anger made me want to take all of my meds and throw them out the window. As a result, I spent the entire night in an extremely agitated state and it was entirely my fault. The next morning I changed my mind and decided to take my meds. By the next day, I felt fine and vowed to be 100% med-compliant from now on.

Whenever I find myself wondering whether or not I need meds, I think back to both of these episodes as well as the manic/psychotic episode I had in 2006. Each of these experiences is enough to remind me that when I'm off of my meds, I'm a person I do not like. When I'm on meds, I'm closer to the person I used to be before I was diagnosed with bipolar.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
(female)

Buccaneer HB User

I am one of those people who doesnt take meds... I am not opposed to taking meds, I would just prefer not to. I have taken them in the past and would take them again if it were 110% necessary but I think I would like to be the judge on weather it is necessary or not. I believe in many cases it is necessary because IMO it takes a while to totally understand bipolar (I & II) and get a handle on it... Its hard to live with on or off meds regardless, but I think that maybe some people find it easier to be on them and others off. I found it VERY hard on meds... In fact it hindered rather than helped as I sunk further and further into depression as I was so caught up with the fact that I needed them to be 'sane' that it messed with me too much.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
(female)

Buccaneer HB User

*deleted* double post

Last edited by Buccaneer; 06-15-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Closed Thread