It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CarenR HB User
Is your Bipolar getting worse or better?

Some doctors are saying that Bipolar gets worse as we age..... have you experiened this?

hugs, Caren
Bipolar 1

Old 06-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: Is your Bipolar getting worse or better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarenR View Post
Some doctors are saying that Bipolar gets worse as we age..... have you experiened this?

hugs, Caren
Bipolar 1
I have. Research has also proven this to be true if it is left untreated.

I started experiencing clear symptoms of bipolar at age 20.

I was medicated in 1991 for severe depression and auditory hallucinations, but the Lithium and Prozac I was put on did not help either one.

However, the Lithium did prevent me from having more severe manic episodes.

I was later switched to Paxil along with Lithium for my depression which helped it to some extent, but not enough to keep me out of the hospital.

I decided to stop taking meds somewhere around 1997 since a large part of my depression centered around losing my hearing and I was receiving proper training in alternative communication techniques at that time.

I was able to function well until December 2004-March 2006 when I experienced my first manic/psychotic episode. I was manic and started hearing voices more intensely than usual. I also became extremely paranoid.

I ended up losing orientation x3 (person, time and place) in February 2006 which required involuntarily commitment for a little over a month.

My bipolar stabilized while IP, but then became worse 12 months after I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. I started rapid cycling, so my diagnosis was changed to rapid cycling BPI.

In December it was changed yet again to atypical BPI with ultradian rapid cycling.

I've been unstable for the past 1.5 years, but this was due to an inattentive pdoc who refused to treat me. Whenever I said I was rapid cycling or manic, he would tell me to schedule an appointment with him in 3 months.

I'm now seeing a wonderful pdoc who I can't say enough good things about. He takes my treatment seriously, allows me to be an active participant, he accepts my input in regards to the meds I'm prescribed, he addresses my symptoms immediately, permits me to take extra meds when I am rapid cycling, anxious or manic and has been upfront with me about the severity of my bipolar. I appreciate all of these things because I now have a better understanding of what I'm dealing with and feel comfortable knowing that if I'm struggling with mania, mixed episodes or severe depression, he will be there to help me through it.
Prozac 40mg
Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
(female)

limelight HB User

my pdoc told me that as we age the manic episodes become less but depression becomes more. Which i thought sounded very grim. Sorry to pass this news on. best wishes limelight

Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

electric blue HB User

Hi CarenR,
electric blue here, nice to meet you. I am very new to this site and have never joined a site before this, but so glad i did. Everyone has been very supportive. I don't know how old you are but was interested in your question. I am 53, aahhhh!!! lol. I have found that as i have aged the usual things have happened, eg, head south. My bp has been just awful i have fretful days or hours, i have been a lot worse than i am but lately it's become worse and i haven't known how to cope with it. If you read some of my posts, you will get an insight as to my probs. I try a bit of common sense to overcome some of it, but yes to your answer, for me anyway, it's become worse and that has led me to seek out help from this site. It's wonderful to meet so many like minded people so that calms me down a bit. Take care, stay well and happy today!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight View Post
my pdoc told me that as we age the manic episodes become less but depression becomes more. Which i thought sounded very grim. Sorry to pass this news on. best wishes limelight
Limelight,

This is true if a person is medicated, but if their bipolar is left untreated, it can lead to progressively worse manic episodes.

You also may be interested to know that more people with bipolar experience depressive episodes than manic episodes. It is rare for people to have more manic episodes than depressive episodes. Rapid cycling and psychosis/delusions are also not "typical" symptoms for many people who have bipolar.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Hi Caren. I also have found that my symptoms have gotten worse over the years. I was diagnosed when I was 22 and now I am 25. Isn't that sad! My episodes are starting to last a LOT longer. Escpecially the depressive ones it seems like. I just can't shake this last episode of depression it seems like.
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 06-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama View Post
Hi Caren. I also have found that my symptoms have gotten worse over the years. I was diagnosed when I was 22 and now I am 25. Isn't that sad! My episodes are starting to last a LOT longer. Escpecially the depressive ones it seems like. I just can't shake this last episode of depression it seems like.
I have the same experience Llama as far as depression is concerned. Now that my rapid cycling is under control, I find that my depressive episodes last much longer since I don't cycle continuously between mania, extreme irritability, level mood and severe depression like I used to (thanks to my new med regimen). You are lucky though in one respect. You were diagnosed early. I wasn't diagnosed until age 35 even though I began to show signs of bipolar when I was 20.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Last edited by dreams in neon; 06-21-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
(female)

Bunnylover HB User

The depressive episodes have definitly been much better controlled--but in my case that's clearly a result of proper medication, finally. I've actually had more issues with hypo-mania in the last few years that I used to, but I think that's because only 2 years post-diagnosis, we're still working on the meds balance. Right now I don't take a typical mood stabilizer, only lamictal, but that may have to change.

Everything I have read says untreated, bipolar worsens over time.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
(female)

Buccaneer HB User

i think mine maybe isnt "getting better" but it really is much better than it was when I was diagnosed at age 13. maybe thats because im so convinced i have a hold of it?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

light the world HB User

I'd say that the longer that we have it go untreated the worse and harder it is to treat and the worse it will be.

Meds: Clonazepam 4mg, Seroquel 200mg

Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Research has proven time and time again that the longer bipolar is left untreated, the worse it becomes as we age -- particularly for women.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
(female)

insatiable vamp HB User

on top of the fact that my therapist told me young adulthood is when it spirals out of control.

sounds like much fun. not.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Llama HB User

Oh that's just great. It spirals out of control during young adulthood! That's horrible news!
Wellbutrin xl 450mg
Lexapro 10mg
Ativan 0.5mg, then 1mg at bedtime

Old 06-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insatiable vamp View Post
on top of the fact that my therapist told me young adulthood is when it spirals out of control.

sounds like much fun. not.
You may feel better knowing that isn't always true. Sometimes when a teenager or young adult is experiencing mood swings, it's due to the "normal" emotions they experience during the time. Bipolar doesn't help matters, but it doesn't explain everything they go through. I wouldn't worry too much about this if I were you or Llama.
Prozac 40mg
Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
(female)

insatiable vamp HB User

okay, that sounds better...

Closed Thread