It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
(male)

Greenjuice HB User
Bipolar but don't want to take meds at 21

I've recently just been diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder and have been diagnosed for a long time with adhd, but I don't take the medications. I understand, yes, I can walk, and talk, and move around like a living zombie, but my up and hyper energy days are so much fun and the people who love and care about me the most just say "Oohh....(my name)." and its all good. It reminds me that I'm trying, but also reminds me I have a unique way of handling life. I'm not aggressive (passive very much so), but never have done any physical harm to anyone or myself..ever. So I don't see the need to take the medications..except for maybe tests and deadlines...because the adderall I'm suppose to take helps with that, but don't take it regularly b/c it just makes me responsive and it doesn't allow for very much empathizing with others...WHICH I THINK IS IMPORTANT!

I'd tell all this to my doc but I know he has hundreds of patients with all their hundreds of problems..so I think discussion boards are fun and help.

So for right now I'm not taking my zyprexa or adderall..so I was wondering if there are any techniques or maybe motivational quotes for me to take the medicine..or not.

I mean I'm in college and I want to party on the weekends...I have the physical (maybe not mental) health to handle it and want to experience while I'm young and healthy.

p.s. I'm the healthiest health nut out there down to a label scale and its orgins and what/when my body needs it. Fish oils, no red meats, balanced sodium/carb levels, no sugar (except in fruit form), royal jelly, silver biotics, 2 protein powders and collagen based protein syrup, elderberry juice concentrate 2x daily, neti-pot flushing 2x daily, green and herbal teas and capsules, oregano, basil leaf, and natural amino acid capsules, magnesium and calcium tablets, cayenne pepper, juice plus tablets, and different mushroom extracts for immune system, water, yoga, gym.

I add my diet just so I don't get the response "maybe its your diet." B/c trust...thats all I have going for me right now. MIght as well have something going right? And I'll continue my ways of dieting, because that's all I know and the days I have my moments of (OOOohhh yeah...sh*t I guess I do have that)...I'll thank myself later..on my down days.

Last edited by Greenjuice; 09-21-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: added info about my life/ cussed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

electric blue HB User
Re: Bipolar but don't want to take meds at 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjuice View Post
I've recently just been diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder and have been diagnosed for a long time with adhd, but I don't take the medications. I understand, yes, I can walk, and talk, and move around like a living zombie, but my up and hyper energy days are so much fun and the people who love and care about me the most just say "Oohh....(my name)." and its all good. It reminds me that I'm trying, but also reminds me I have a unique way of handling life. I'm not aggressive (passive very much so), but never have done any physical harm to anyone or myself..ever. So I don't see the need to take the medications..except for maybe tests and deadlines...because the adderall I'm suppose to take helps with that, but don't take it regularly b/c it just makes me responsive and it doesn't allow for very much empathizing with others...WHICH I THINK IS IMPORTANT!

I'd tell all this to my doc but I know he has hundreds of patients with all their hundreds of problems..so I think discussion boards are fun and help.

So for right now I'm not taking my zyprexa or adderall..so I was wondering if there are any techniques or maybe motivational quotes for me to take the medicine..or not.

I mean I'm in college and I want to party on the weekends...I have the physical (maybe not mental) health to handle it and want to experience while I'm young and healthy.

p.s. I'm the healthiest health nut out there down to a label scale and its orgins and what/when my body needs it. Fish oils, no red meats, balanced sodium/carb levels, no sugar (except in fruit form), royal jelly, silver biotics, 2 protein powders and collagen based protein syrup, elderberry juice concentrate 2x daily, neti-pot flushing 2x daily, green and herbal teas and capsules, oregano, basil leaf, and natural amino acid capsules, magnesium and calcium tablets, cayenne pepper, juice plus tablets, and different mushroom extracts for immune system, water, yoga, gym.

I add my diet just so I don't get the response "maybe its your diet." B/c trust...thats all I have going for me right now. MIght as well have something going right? And I'll continue my ways of dieting, because that's all I know and the days I have my moments of (OOOohhh yeah...sh*t I guess I do have that)...I'll thank myself later..on my down days.
Hi Greenjuice,

Welcome to the boards From what i can see you're doing well especially will your diet. Sometimes i think some of us are better off without the meds because of the side effects, i think it boils down to how a person copes or doesn't cope in their lives. If you feel you are doing well without them, and not rapid cycling or too manic, then i think to find out for sure if you need to take meds, try writing a journal every day (unless you've already tried that?) and that will give you a clearer picture of how you handle different situations, show the journal to your pdoc and discuss it with him/her. I hope that helps?

Stay well and happy today,

Electric blue

Old 09-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
(male)

Greenjuice HB User

Electric blue,

Thank you that really was nice and appreciated the positive feedback. I keep a journal off and on.

I'll draw out my scenarios with my problems in pictures for some of it and others are filled with statistics, scientific facts connecting to my problems, positive quotes, health information, pros and cons of people/thoughts/actions, and motivational stories from other people that are share similarities.

Very useful and helpful, but often times forgotten or rationalized out. Thanks though, at first I was a little weary of sharing it with the doc but maybe its not such a bad idea.

*I know this may sound so egotistical or foolish or nuts or whatever, but I truly am afraid the docs and psychs might use the information I've gathered and painstakingly looked up and written for their advantage. Or, use some of my ideas to fill in spots on any of their research. Do you, or anyone else share this fear? It is real believe it or not. And so far I haven't ever brought it up to my doc just for obvious humiliation reasons...but I'd rather hear something more comforting I guess. Anyway I am sooo so happy I joined this forum b/c this really helps. I greatly appreciate the help and advice and am making sure I do my part on some of the other health forums. THANKS!

Last edited by Greenjuice; 09-21-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Added a quick question

Old 09-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjuice View Post

Hi Greenjuice. I am a newbie to this site and a 42 year old woman in Australia with Bipolar Disorder II and Panic and Anxiety Disorders, as well as being a 10 years sober alcoholic.

I agree with Electric Blue. As long as you are not Hypomanic, Manic, or suffering from Major Depression (or the S* that brings), or Rapid Cycling or having Mixed States, which are also part of Bipolar, I think it's up to you to monitor yourself and make your own decisions. Unless you become a danger to yourself or someone else, you're not compelled to take medication. The only thing I would say is that it is CRITICAL that you start a dialogue with your psychiatrist and be 100% honest, down to the soles of your shoes, about what is going on for you. Holding back from mental health professionals can only be dangerous for you. And if you DO end up suffering from one of the above manifestations of Bipolar, there is a history there and your clinician can make decisions based on your patterns etc. Honestly, you will be doing yourself a favour.

I know you want to party, it's natural (believe me I know!!! - no mine was addiction - different to what other young things were doing when I was your age), but if you do take meds, make sure you know whether there are an contraindications with booze. And please Oh please, stay away from street drugs - they are so bad for everyone, but so much worse for people with mental illness - you could see you mental illness skyrocket and cause damage you will have to live with for the rest of your life.

That's enough from Aunty Wendy from Australia.

Wendy

Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
(female)

Sassywun HB User

im 27 n i dont want to take my meds....

can u imagine.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

Nobee HB User

I'm newly diagnosised too. I dont want to take meds for a diffrent reason, they trigger panic attacks (I was givin an anti anxiety med and i'm too anxious to take it). I just look at them and my mind goes all nuts. it doesnt help that my Husband likes it when I'm hypomanic and thinks there is nothing wrong with me. so however you are able to keep yourself calm let me know. however, I have been to the depths more than once and if you ever start getting the deep depression or your behaviour gets so out of controll that people start telling you that your "loosing it" please take the meds or go to your theripist. its easy for us to think we are fine when we aren't.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
(male)

Greenjuice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobee View Post
if you ever start getting the deep depression or your behaviour gets so out of controll that people start telling you that your "loosing it" please take the meds or go to your theripist. its easy for us to think we are fine when we aren't.
Very true and definitely have social problems...that I've gotten used to blocking out. Sometimes I roll my eyes or give them some kind of face I'm completely unaware that I'm doing until later someone tells me or I find out..not something thats particularily easy to handle hearing that your a rude s.o.b., when in fact I try so hard to be empathetic and nice and pay attention to people and be responsive and polite. And when the slightest change in attention or subject matter happens, thats when I start signaling I'm about to lose it...and it shows.

Evidently, my tone and facial expressions say it all (which I'm somewhat oblivious to, but ignore since I'm trying so damn hard to pay attention and be pleasant) and sends me into an intense emotion..whichever comes out first. I've manage to ruin every family dinner and family gathering I can remember and have managed to get out of christmas and easter last year...which of course made up for on mothers day..Its like every word that comes out of there gaping jaws I have an emotion for and it all builds up until the slightest confrontation comes up I blow. I dont throw anything just the speed of my voice increases til the boiling point of saying somethin completely inappropriate and crude. If they knew what went through my head then..i dont know..anyway heres what keeps my physical appearance fooling those around me I'm healthy (copied and pasted from a previous post..on a good hour)

I put all of my negative emotions (personal qualms, interruptions, family problems, etc) into my lifting, since in a gym environment its perfectly normal to grunt and let some steam out. That way at the end of my lifting I'm say to myself I'm glad I was able to focus all this built up crap into the different areas of muscles I was focusing on.

Yoga is great for when I need that extra sense of well-being, great for balanced emotions. It's difficult to resort to the physical areas since you often are drained from the constant mental health..but I figured hell, might as well put my body through healthy agony ha. And these two have never failed me. Ever. I treat lifting and exercising as an aid, NOT a competition. Its my body, and I do it for me b/c in the end I still have to come up with rent at the end of the month, not anybody else.

My diet is unbelievable and has to be inorder to make up for my emotional instability. Its listed on the first page. IT is me and misleads people from any mental health issues...i guess till they begin to know me but whatev..i have my physical health...and am working with my medicine.

And a good one for neutral emotions or mediocre anger is art. You can express yourself how ever you are feeling into something much more beautiful, and the feeling you get when doing so and after taking notice, reminds you beauty still exists and your still and always will be capable of making it come alive.

You just have to remember never to feel or allow yourself to be rushed. Take your time and realize how much time you have and remember there is Always, someone out there that can listen, learn and grow just like you.

Last edited by Greenjuice; 09-22-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: too much info

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
(male)

Greenjuice HB User

Perrrrfect...today I'm feeling great and very talkative and fun sense of self..not to mention having fun teasing my friends..and what do you know..todays the day to start my medicine. What the hell does this sense make..ive just had so much fun pretending my friend and I were married and hated eachother to the point of tears of laughing..and im suppose to throw all this away? Now my friends want to hang out and are going to be COMPLETELY thrown off when they see my attitude has changed. But like my psych said its just for 3 days and to evaluate the pros and cons together..so im just going to have to tell my friends whats up..

Those of you who do take medicine, does your creativity and rapid sense of imagination go away? Because today has been so much fun.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
(female)

electric blue HB User

Hi Greenjuice,

No, as far as i know, creativity cannot be taken away by meds maybe just slowed down a little. How are your meds going now?

Take care,

Electric blue

Closed Thread