It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User
Unhappy Bipolar meds taken along with narcotics

To make a very long story short....I have been on Lithium, Cymbalta, and Klonopin for about a year and they are working great together......when I threw my back out - at the same time I found out that I have 6 slipped discs......This happened in June - and I saw an orthopedist who put me on Tylenol 3 which is codeine (narcotic) long term - for the slipped discs....and I've been on the narcotic AND the Bipolar meds at the same time since June.

Heres the problem.

I am in a very deep and dark depression and feel like my bipolar meds arent working anymore....I am seeing a psychiatrist for my medication and is telling me that the narcotics are interfering with the Bipolar medication but my question is:

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS BEFORE? THAT YOUR MEDICATION JUST STOPPED WORKING WHILE YOU WERE TAKING A NARCOTIC.....I NEED TO KNOW THAT THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO WENT THROUGH OR IS GOING THROUGH SOMETHING SIMILAR TO WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH.

Thank you so much in advance for any responses.....

Last edited by Starbuk498; 09-23-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User
Re: Bipolar meds taken along with narcotics

Hi there, I am a 42 year old woman in Australia with Bipolar II, Panic and Anxiety Disorders and I am a sober alcoholic. I am on Lithium, Seroquel, Valium. and Thyroxin for my Lithium induced buggered Thyroid.

I recently had surgery and was put on Endone while in the hospital and sent home with it as a follow-up (it was abdominal surgery so very hurty). Unfortunately my Surgeon didn't check my drug interactions and I ended up in a Halleucagenic/Psychotic state. It turns out that opiate derivatives such as Endone (and also the pain meds you are on) are CONTRAINDICATED for use in conjunction with my regular meds.

This is not the same story of yours, but I guess the thing in common is the containdicatory nature of the meds, and particularly opiate derivatives. Could you didcuss with your doctor the use of non- opiate derived pain meds? I can't imagine the pain you must be trying to manage, so I really hope you find an alternative solution.

And also, I have found to my shock of late, that a previously excellent meds regime can change in efficacy - I have been so ill with Hypomania and Major Depression that it's been the worst episode in my life, with the exception of Feb 2008 when I took actions and nearly lost my life. It's way beyond frustrating, it's really soul destroying, so I know how you feel.

Wendy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
(male)

Arby428 HB User

Sorta the same boat...I had mine quit working while I was on cold medicine. (I think it was Ny-Quil/Day-Quil) That was a real fun ride...

Last edited by Arby428; 09-23-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
(female)

Starbuk498 HB User

thank you all for your responses........I wish you all luck and happiness.......your responses really helped and I'm feeling more at ease that I'm not the only case....thank you again!

Closed Thread