It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

LivingJuicy HB User
Dating someone bipolar? Please help.

My girlfriend recently broke up with me out of nowhere. This was someone that I believed I would spend forever with. We were committed and in love. She had broken up with me on several occasions for essentially no reason but would come back within days and we would seem to work things out. She is aware that she has issues. Prior to the breakup I can tell that she was distant. Major insomnia, lack of sex drive, depression. She told me she felt empty inside. She had recently moved, started school and was dealing with quite a bit of stress. I have researched bipolar disorder and am confident that she fits the mold. She was never abusive or disrespectful and doesn't drink; however, was prescribed oxycotin for back surgery. I'm fearful that she may have a hidden addiction to them. We are not speaking right now. I care very much for her and am worried about her. She is undiagnosed with anything other than "depression" and is on cymbalta. I am giving her space and not reaching out to her but at some point we have to exchange our belongings. I don't think this is a case of someone falling out of love or someone meeting someone else. I am concerned that we broke up because of her mental illness. I don't know if she's ok. I worry for her well being. Is there anything I should do to let her know that I care or should I just leave it alone? I can't wrap my head around her loving me one day and leaving the next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
(female)

Bethann01 HB User
Re: Dating someone bipolar? Please help.

Personally, as someone with bipolar I found the notion that you're "diagnosing" your girlfriend because she broke up with you as bipolar offensive and if I was your girlfriend, bipolar or not, I would be done with you too.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

Lucky Lucy HB UserLucky Lucy HB User

Maybe your looking at everything wrong. Becuase im pretty sure she would know if she was bi polar and so would her doctor.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
(male)

beewag1 HB User
Wink Re: Dating someone bipolar? Please help.

Relationships are hard. There is a book out ther called "Loving someone with bipolar disorder. Relationships are hard i feel bad for my wife she has put up with a lot. Your partner needs to learn how to make sacrifices like not being in situations that can cause triggers that will cause u to lapse in anxiety, depression, or mania. Honestly I like being a little manic, but I guess I shouldn't. The main thing is for your partner understand when you shift moods that he/she isn't talking to you they are actually talking to your disease, they wont be able to reason with u. Hope this helps. God Bless.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #5
(female)

Barbie kats HB User

sorry about that. You need to reach out to her and find out what she thinks. recently my boyfriend also broke up with me because am bipolar. And i think the illness does not limit one from having a relationship. am sure you can work. There is more reason to have someone care for you when your bipolar. God bless

Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

Wise52 HB User

Oxycotin his highly addictive. My son stole it from his grandmother who was dieing of cancer and he got hooked. His mood swings were awful. Your girl friend sounds bipolar and hope that she has a good doctor for medication management and a good therapist to talk to because it takes the combination of both to get stable. Mood swings are so scary that dealing with them can make the person want to escape being "different" using drugs or drinking. That's not the answer. I think you should wait and see how your girlfriend is doing. You could e-mail or text her and just wish her well. My son is a totally self-centered person since he was diagnosed bipolar and used alcohol and drugs to escape the reality. I'm bipolar but after years of medications and therapy I am leading a happy and healthy life. Not everyone is so lucky, but there is hope.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #7
(female)

Lucky Lucy HB UserLucky Lucy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewag1 View Post
Relationships are hard. There is a book out ther called "Loving someone with bipolar disorder. Relationships are hard i feel bad for my wife she has put up with a lot. Your partner needs to learn how to make sacrifices like not being in situations that can cause triggers that will cause u to lapse in anxiety, depression, or mania. Honestly I like being a little manic, but I guess I shouldn't. The main thing is for your partner understand when you shift moods that he/she isn't talking to you they are actually talking to your disease, they wont be able to reason with u. Hope this helps. God Bless.
you shouldnt not like the feeling of mania, becuase its a whole lot better than depression, as long as you have some sort of control

Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethann01 View Post
Personally, as someone with bipolar I found the notion that you're "diagnosing" your girlfriend because she broke up with you as bipolar offensive and if I was your girlfriend, bipolar or not, I would be done with you too.
Easy there. Did you even read his post: "She had broken up with me on several occasions for essentially no reason but would come back within days and we would seem to work things out. She is aware that she has issues. Prior to the breakup I can tell that she was distant. Major insomnia, lack of sex drive, depression. She told me she felt empty inside."

Old 11-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
(female)

virgoan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingJuicy View Post
My girlfriend recently broke up with me out of nowhere. This was someone that I believed I would spend forever with. We were committed and in love. She had broken up with me on several occasions for essentially no reason but would come back within days and we would seem to work things out. She is aware that she has issues. Prior to the breakup I can tell that she was distant. Major insomnia, lack of sex drive, depression. She told me she felt empty inside. She had recently moved, started school and was dealing with quite a bit of stress. I have researched bipolar disorder and am confident that she fits the mold. She was never abusive or disrespectful and doesn't drink; however, was prescribed oxycotin for back surgery. I'm fearful that she may have a hidden addiction to them. We are not speaking right now. I care very much for her and am worried about her. She is undiagnosed with anything other than "depression" and is on cymbalta. I am giving her space and not reaching out to her but at some point we have to exchange our belongings. I don't think this is a case of someone falling out of love or someone meeting someone else. I am concerned that we broke up because of her mental illness. I don't know if she's ok. I worry for her well being. Is there anything I should do to let her know that I care or should I just leave it alone? I can't wrap my head around her loving me one day and leaving the next.
I thought oxytocin was a chemical that is produced ina woman after making love, It is what bonds us to the man. I think you are great for worrying about her and caring so much about her,. I know this may be hurting you.

I don't know if she could be tested for any physical problems, like gout (excess uric acid), or any infections, and treated for parasites, they often do not show up in tests. As she has not been diagnoed with bipolar, they may be easier to obtain. If you do get back with her, you may be able to test urine for the ph levels. Urinary tract infections, whcih when you are sexually active are more likely this could be a reason for her symptoms.

I wish you all the luck in the world

Closed Thread