It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

JESPER HB User
help - advice on depression/manic depression/bipolar

Hi All
Thanks for reading my message. I am sending a cry for help to you all out there who have suffered or had any experience of (and I'm not even sure what to call it!)...
My brother is 32 - he has suffered with serious episodes of depression from the age of 16 but has sadly learnt to live with it. At the age of 17 doctors came to my parents home and wanted to section him but unfortunately for one reason or another it didnt happen (with hindsight it would've probably been the best thing that could have ever happened to him). About 5 years ago I took him to see a private psychiatrist after he'd been coming to me and crying and saying he just couldnt live his life like this. Unfortunately the psychiatrist we saw had obviously had a late night and looked at times like he was falling asleep (actually had his eyes shut!) - he just said that because he had smoked dope as a teenager this had caused him to suffer from depression and that was that (very helpful!). Over the last year he has had a terrible job where he was bullied and once again we're back to square one. He has been suicidal and I am his only saviour - he rings me when he needs me (at the moment at least once a week) and I speak to him on the phone - once to prevent him doing the deed which is obviously a very hard thing to deal with. We have been to see doctors and a crisis team from the psychiatric team but they didnt think he was a cause for concern and this astounds me - Im not sure what they think as a "crisis" - I dont think you can get much more of a crisis than on the brink of taking your own life. 4 months later we are still waiting to see a psychiatric team....arrrggh!! I have had him on the phone this evening saying he just cant go on like this - he doesnt want to live like this - he is very ill. I have my suspicions that he is bipolar - he does have "up" episodes where he is the life and sole of the party - he actually "whoops" very loudly - has lots of energy - then he has days he just cant get out of the pit he has dug for himself and he just gets getting deeper and deeper - he sometimes goes to his bedroom for the whole weekend because he cant cope with seeing people... he has told me he goes into the toilet at work and just cries - he saw a disabled person the other day in the supermarket and cried because he wanted to be that person and let the other person have his life because they would live it to the maximum. He cant look at himself in the mirror because he hates himself, he doesnt get washed etc etc. I know this isnt a site to get a medical diagnosis but I am at the end of my tether and want to know other people's experiences - he said to me tonight that he wants "committing" as he calls it... and said that he will be a statistic of suicide and everyone will say that he was waiting to see someone and no-one helped him... please help me... any advice or experience would be really appreciated
x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User
Re: help - advice on depression/manic depression/bipolar

It is clear that your brother needs help, you have good reason to be worried. I think you need to pull out the stops and make the doctors listen to you. Your brother's situation sounds serious and you have to tell them exactly what you wrote here. Make them listen or go elsewhere for help. Any doctor who doesn't respond to your concern is a bad doctor. Be strong with the doctors and get your point across. Your brother is very lucky to have someone who cares for him the way you do.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

mowgli HB User

Put him in a car or taxi and go to the nearest emergency department. Make sure you and he BOTH stress to everybody you speak to that you are concerned for his safety.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
(female)

skates53 HB User

He does sound bipolar and really needs to be diagnosed so he can get the help he needs-the meds really help once they get him on something-Good luck

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
(female)

Wise52 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESPER View Post
Hi All
Thanks for reading my message. I am sending a cry for help to you all out there who have suffered or had any experience of (and I'm not even sure what to call it!)...
My brother is 32 - he has suffered with serious episodes of depression from the age of 16 but has sadly learnt to live with it. At the age of 17 doctors came to my parents home and wanted to section him but unfortunately for one reason or another it didnt happen (with hindsight it would've probably been the best thing that could have ever happened to him). About 5 years ago I took him to see a private psychiatrist after he'd been coming to me and crying and saying he just couldnt live his life like this. Unfortunately the psychiatrist we saw had obviously had a late night and looked at times like he was falling asleep (actually had his eyes shut!) - he just said that because he had smoked dope as a teenager this had caused him to suffer from depression and that was that (very helpful!). Over the last year he has had a terrible job where he was bullied and once again we're back to square one. He has been suicidal and I am his only saviour - he rings me when he needs me (at the moment at least once a week) and I speak to him on the phone - once to prevent him doing the deed which is obviously a very hard thing to deal with. We have been to see doctors and a crisis team from the psychiatric team but they didnt think he was a cause for concern and this astounds me - Im not sure what they think as a "crisis" - I dont think you can get much more of a crisis than on the brink of taking your own life. 4 months later we are still waiting to see a psychiatric team....arrrggh!! I have had him on the phone this evening saying he just cant go on like this - he doesnt want to live like this - he is very ill. I have my suspicions that he is bipolar - he does have "up" episodes where he is the life and sole of the party - he actually "whoops" very loudly - has lots of energy - then he has days he just cant get out of the pit he has dug for himself and he just gets getting deeper and deeper - he sometimes goes to his bedroom for the whole weekend because he cant cope with seeing people... he has told me he goes into the toilet at work and just cries - he saw a disabled person the other day in the supermarket and cried because he wanted to be that person and let the other person have his life because they would live it to the maximum. He cant look at himself in the mirror because he hates himself, he doesnt get washed etc etc. I know this isnt a site to get a medical diagnosis but I am at the end of my tether and want to know other people's experiences - he said to me tonight that he wants "committing" as he calls it... and said that he will be a statistic of suicide and everyone will say that he was waiting to see someone and no-one helped him... please help me... any advice or experience would be really appreciated
x
You really love your brother. When anyone talks of suicide, you call '911' and have the police admit him to a hospital under a legal procedure called "Baker Acting." The hospital will evaluate him, drug and alcohol test him. They may only keep him 48 hours, but since he is an adult, if he signs a paper, you can have him put into an in-house facililty for up to a month or more to help stabilize his meds and have a psychiatrist work with him. I'm assuming that this is legal in the state where you live. There is medication for depression and bipolar, which ever he is suffering from. Please take action immediately!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
(female)

Wise52 HB User

When your brother talks about suicide, take it seriously. Call '911' and let the police Baker Act him into the hospital. They can keep him for 48 hours "if he is a danger to himself or others." As an adult he can sign papers to go into in-house rehab for 30 days, 60 days, 90 or whatever is needed. They will get him stabilized on meds and have him work with a psychologist. Whether he is bipolar or not, he needs to have the suicidal thoughts dealt with my action.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
(male)

happyNhandsome HB User

I agree with Author 58. Good advice! I would get him treated immediately, and call 911, like, NOW. Explain to them what happened, and follow the flow, they'll know what to do because it happens all the time with them (it's their job). I will mention that state- or locally- provided doctors will not be of the best quality, but they will get the job done and place your brother in a safe environment where he can constantly have someone to talk to, seek help, be monitored 24/7, and most importantly be safe and not hurt himself. I know its a big decision, but I'm just stating my opinion which is derived from my own knowledge and studies in psychology (I used to be a psych major). I wish you the best.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
(female)

anfire2009 HB User

I agree so strongly with all the posts, call 911 or an hotline of some kind. Never ignore a suicide threat. I am a one who has tried to go though with only to be saved. I think it is 20-30 % who do not make it. He is very lucky to have a good caring family. Sometimes it hurts to do the right thing. My husband sat beside me as I dialed a hotline in 1 hour I was in the hospital safe, getting meds that day. I was on suicide watch, I felt safe from myself. A good feeling, maybe he needs this. At 48 I can no longer work I don't see how he does it . My docs helped me get disability for BP1, Anyway really readthe last posts they make good sense.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
(female)

Krenzelect HB User

My nephew committed suicide two months ago. Never had any signs in fact two weeks before he committed suicide, he called and wanted to visit us. He said he needed a vacation. Your brother is showing signs which may be a cry for help. Get him to a Dr. My nephew and I were very close and the guilt is horrible that I couldn’t save him.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
(female)

Wise52 HB User
Unhappy Re: help - advice on depression/manic depression/bipolar

Krenzelect,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be horrible. Sympathies for the death of your nephew. ((((krenzelect)))) hugs.

Sometimes there are signs that a person is suicidal--they give away things to others that they treasurer, they no longer participate in normal activities, they neglect their appearance, occasionally there is a note or they have told a close friend they are thinking about it. But since you didn't live with your nephew, you would have had no way of knowing, so please don't blame yourself. In fact, it sounded like he was upbeat when he called you.

I'll pray for you that your Higher Power will help you find some comfort. Lynn

Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

Uh, the OP is from North Yorkshire--The UK (sayings like "he rings me..." are also a dead giveaway).

Nationalized health care at work....?

Closed Thread