It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
(male)

brentjk1 HB User
I believe I have bipolar, doctor visit in the future

Anyone here in the same boat? I have no medical insurance that can cover a shrink visit(s).

My parents insurance would make me pay $100/visit plus $240 initial consult plus all of the prescription costs. So I scheduled a visit through the "Livingston County Catholic Social Services" but there's a week wait (so the receptionist said) before I can even see a counselor. Beyond that, their website says

"Psychiatrist - If needed, a referral to the psychiatrist will be scheduled after the third therapy session"

So I have to see a "registered therapist" before I even get to the shrink.

Beyond all of that, I'll explain.

Racing thoughts, no sleep pattern. My utter lack of concentration. I have a decent memory but it's been impacted as of late by this. It comes and gos. It makes college nearly impossible and is the reason I didn't come back this semester. I took it off and am just working until I figure this all out.

If I have bipolar, it's very light. I'm not hit by "manic" moods. I'm not very depressed although admittedly I am. I'm only 21 if that matters..I know this is right around when it begins to manifest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
(male)

Liberian12 HB User
Re: I believe I have bipolar, doctor visit in the future

I waited over two years for my first CBT session. Private psychiatry is expensive and public psychiatry takes forever.

If you're worried, have your GP prescribe you some lithium in the interim. It's the most proven drug. Whatever you do, don't take SSRI's unless under the supervision of a psychiatrist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
(female)

Bethann01 HB User

There is a "bipolar light"--I can't remember the name of it, but it involves more mild manic and depressive episodes.

Given your circumstances, I'd be as clear as possible about your symptoms on the first visit (you never know if the rules are set in stone) and try to schedule those first three appointments as close together as you can. Personally, I wouldn't let a GP prescribe psych meds if you can possibly avoid it.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
(female)

virgoan HB User

how about an anti candida diet. and an anti parasite regimen. I have recently used coconut, fennel, cloves (kills eggs) amongst others. Threadworms can produce ammonia in the brain causing lack of sleep. What about tryptophan, gaba. A naturopath might be worth a visit.

Sugar feeds the candida and parasites.

Good luck

Old 11-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
(female)

Wise52 HB User

You may be bipolar or have ADD (attention deficit disorder). Bipolar involves extreme mood swings. There are three types: fast cycling, which is from day to day mood changes or even switching from happy to sad in one day. My son is type 1, which means he is more manic--spends lots of money he doesn't have, drives fast, has racing thoughts, goes days without sleep, then becomes depressed and cries. I have type 2, which is more depressive. I talk, think, move fast and have racing thoughts; therefore can't concentrate on finishing one project. But I get depressive and sometimes deeply where I can't get out of bed, don't want to eat or see people, have no interest in doing anything. Bipolar can also be accompanied by obsessive compulsive behavior, anxiety or panic attacks or phobias. Your situation sounds more like ADD to me. I don't know if Ritalin is still used or something else. Suggest you consult with a professional psychiatrist and find out. My son's depression began at age 17 and escalated to bipolar by age 19. Bipolar is hereditary as is depression. If you are bi-polar, I don't recommend Lithium. It destroyed my thyroid function. Good luck! Lynn

Closed Thread