It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User
The Road Less Travelled

I have talked about some of this in others threads, but I guess my thoughts have coalesced into this. The title The Road Less Travelled is actually an amazing book by a wonderful and generous US psychiatrist who has now passed. I have read it many times. It is both about psychiatry and individual cases, and also spirituality. The concept is basically that The Road Less Travlled is a road by which most humans will never travel, a road where people unashamedly look deep into their characters over a lifelong journey, explore what their values are and how they interface with the world (that's me paraphrasing) and act responsibly and proactively in their life.

I know that there are some people who choose a path like this just because it is their nature and they may not have any mental health pathologies or addictions. But I know that for me, and for many others, I have been "forced" to face my demons by the life destroying nature of my illness. I can claim to have stepped up to the plate, but maybe if I never had these illnesses, I never would have looked at myself and my values and behaviours at the depth that I have over a long period of time.

Some people say they are glad they have mental illness because of the insight it brings etc. I can claim to have peace about my alcoholism because now it is in fact an asset because of the wonderfull AA program. But in truth, in all honesty, would I have chosen to come from the horrific childhood I had, live in my own fully blown addiciton for 18 years, have life threatening mental illness and be seriously mis-prescribed for 6-7 years - with all the terrible and profound losses that hand of cards has brought me? No, I would have preferred to have a rich, physically and emotionally safe, loving childhood which produced a more robust person.

But as much as I would prefer it, I can't change the hand of cards I have been dealt. All I can do is embrace all the recovery tools I can, have a generous outlook on the world, and not continue to turn in on myself because of the hurt that life has brought me. To do that is to further harm myself - and to limit my vale in the world. I continue to learn about boundaries and in having healthy boundaries, I find there is more of me to go around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread