It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
I just got the call for my SSI recertification, help..

Ok, well I just got my call for SSI recertification. Seems kinda soon. Can you guys/gals PLEASE tell me what to expect? What do they ask for? Do they often deny it/continue it etc? Do I have to see a state pdoc? Any and ALL info appreciated. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it! The original state doc they used for my case was murdered by his son who had schizophrenia...needless to say since he had personal experience with mental illness he was so AWESOME, kind and understanding! Most often that's not the case with things like this. I was TOTALLY psychotic at the time too. Thanks all, I so need some advice on this!!!

Last edited by tattoogirl; 12-25-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User
Re: I just got the call for my SSI recertification, help..

Hey Girl, I'm sorry about the State doc, that's terribly tragic. I am on a Disability Support Pension in Australia. The systems will be different so I can't comment on your actual process, but I have been through our process of a Pension Review here in Australia. As I am incapable of working, even though I have tried, I was terrified about the process and the prospect of the Pension being taken away (and that's even though our Pension is under the Poverty Line).

I must admit that I didn't handle it well. I was very sick with both major depression and panic and anxiety disorders anyway, and the Pension Review set me right off. It didn't help that the woman who did the review, at a local Job Agency, but on behalf of the Government was a bloody idiot and really added a lot of unessesary stress to the situation - it wasn't handled well at all.

In retrospect, I wish I had used my AA motto of taking it "One Day at a Time" and just dealing with the whole situation minute by minute - not projecting into the future about the Pension being cancelled and all the ramifications of that - just dealing with the process as various steps came along and trying to stay in Today. I guess that's my best thought on how to manage things. I ultimately, after weeks of agony, was told my Pension was going to continue. I really hope it works out for you the same way. Keep posting, I know what a big thing this is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

cerajoan HB Usercerajoan HB User

Don't they ask your doctor to send in all your current medical records? I think that's what they do with me. When I first applied years ago, I think I had to have an interview with one of their doctors, but not anymore. I'm pretty sure they just get your own doctor's records. No? I'm in Massachusetts. Maybe it's different depending on where you are.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

mowgli HB User

Is there a phone number you can call for enquiries? Make a list of all your questions- most pressing first and bombard them?
I think the scariest thing about these sorts of things is the unknown.
Not very helpful I know- the only other thing I could think of in my stupid head was to stop taking your meds about a week before- that should fix any doubts they may have (I really don't mean that- it's just an example of the way my head works- most convoluted answer first) Sorry- I'll go and grow up now. Goodluck!

Old 12-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thanks Wendy!
"God grant me the serenity"....
You are VERY RIGHT about taking things one day at a time and NOT projecting into the future and the "what ifs" of this situation. That kinda stuff causes a BIG snowball effect! And so not good for my continual racing thoughts anyways .

In the states the SSI I am on is poverty level as well. Even with this, if it wasn't for the help of my parents, I COULDN'T survive...I have a son too which makes it so scary. I worry about the future but TRY not to. With the SSI you can have no savings (well virtually none), no life insurance, no investments, etc...all you have cannot go over about $1300/month at any point (they even figure in my son's saving account which I would never use his $ from). It's a hard system as there is no way to provide at least some security for the future.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hi cerajoan
I guess that's what will happen, requesting information or records from my pdoc and psychologist. I wasn't seeing them back when I had received my SSI initially. I had went back to work, or should I say I tried to and eventually wound up going back on. Not only that but they had sent me this "ticket to work" thing back in the mail where they said I could try working again and could save money for "X" amount of months to create a cushion. I lost my health insurance going back to work too and my job made it dang near impossible to qualify for it because of the hours were never enough in my full time schedule. To make a long story short...I did the ticket to work thing and the months I received some money for I had to pay back...not right away...I got a letter in the mail (about 1 1/2 later) and payed it eventually and then 3 years later I got another letter saying I owed more (I never received any other $ but couldn't question their "accounting")! I was like what? How is this possible. I called them and said the ticket to work thing was supposed to cover those months and they said well you never qualified for the ticket to work program! Although I worked with a SSI representative doing it and they sent the info to me! So weird.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 12-26-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hi Mowgli
I love this..."the only other thing I could think of in my stupid head was to stop taking your meds about a week before- that should fix any doubts they may have "...TOO FUNNY! I guess I could find some main # or something to call and see if I can actually get to talk to a human to ask questions! There is a guy, that I assume, is the one doing my case but we have been playing phone tag and he never answers a call...all you can do is leave messages. I would really like to ask questions "annonomously" before I talk to him if possible. It's so scary because I never know what to expect with my illness and how it is perceived by others ESPECIALLY people I need help from!

I also have never really discussed my SSI with my pdoc/therapist because they weren't involved when I initially was on it (they know I am on it). I have no idea what they will say. I guess I will make an appointment to talk to them and go from there.

Thanks girl

Old 12-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

mowgli HB User

Wow- your welfare system sounds like ours- I would say worse, but I don't think it could be!

Ringing anonomously and sounding out situation would be the way to go. Give yourself time to react and get it out of your system before you speak to the case worker. That's usually the way I have to go about things- sometimes stuff comes out of my mouth that probably shouldn't if I haven't rehearsed things in all the ways they could go!

Closed Thread