It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
(female)

kcf71 HB User
Question Trouble making decisions...typical of BP?

I have trouble making any kind of decision and I feel like I can't commit to any idea or event when I do. Is this typical of BP? I'll try to give examples:
  • I used to design web sites and now I can't decide where to begin on my newest one. I have purchased several domain names and they expire after a year because I can't start designing one. And then, I get another idea for one, buy a domain (web site) name, and again, I can't get started on it. And creating these was a passion of mine that I would spend hours doing. I can't do anything creative anymore because I don't know where to begin.
  • I also don't make any kind of plans on going out because I literally cannot decide until the moment that I would have to start getting ready to go.
  • I take online classes and I don't spend enough time on them because I feel it's taking too much time.
  • My mom is elderly and whenever we go somewhere, things will be fine but then it seems like it's taking too long so I end up rushing her and getting frustrated because it seems like it's taking forever, when in reality, it's not.
It's like I can't commit to anything long term. I hope this all doesn't sound stupid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

SoWendy HB User
Re: Trouble making decisions...typical of BP?

I don't think lack of decision making is a specific symptom of Bipolar, but maybe a roll-on effect. What you wrote really resonates with me because I think that the low-functioning that Bipolar brings (including the huge mood swings and the differential between the productive Hypomania states and the crushing depression - which is really hard to balance and produce a productive life). Maybe psych meds affect our cognitive abilities too, well of course they do, to whatever extent. We get muddled and confused and thus decision making is difficult.

I used to be a High Income PR/Communications Manager for many years. The progress of my illnesses and also the terrible mis-prescriptions by a series of psychiatrists has meant I have lost my career (and my house), which like you was very creative and satisfying. I tried to go back to my career this year with the help of an excellent mental health team and job agency. But I have blown a cognitive fuse and I had to resign from the job. Devastating. I am now on the Disability Suppport Pension (Aus) which is under the Poverty Line. Sucks. At least we have a Pension and for that I am grateful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
(female)

wildgirl HB User

I have BP1 (mixed and rapid cycling) It has taken ten years to be well again but I still deal with issues caused by the social and generalised anxiety that have shadowed my illness. Procrastination, avoidance and the embarrassing scrambled brain when performing or under pressure have really limited my ability to function and achieve goals.

Last edited by wildgirl; 01-09-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
(male)

esolc HB User

I am called cold, standoffish my wole life since I was thirteen. I ran wild as a child. I had no supervsion and could due what I wanted. Never had to worry about money, cars, etc.That is when I became a real out of control teenager, but parents were never home, kind like reverse trauma. So this docoter wants me to see sixth doctor. I am done Moving on. I will beat this myself. They all say I am to hard to treat. I am going on exercise program that is very stringent. I am luckey if I lift 5# now. I am ex bad spelling football former junior foot ball player I was strong as an ox. Walk it off, I will find a way to feel some what sane again. If Montel Willims can deal with M.S., I surely can make some headway.

case

Closed Thread