It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User
Question Seroquel vs Zyprexa??? Lost.

So, I'm on 1g tegretol (carbamazapine) and take 10mg zyprexa (olanzapine) when i feel the need or when i hallucinate. The things I cant bear about the zyprexa are the amount of weight i put on and also the excessive tiredness - like sleeping 4 hours in the afternoon.

My current private psych is away from work for extended illness and i havent seen him, or anybody, since July. His secretary still hasnt heard from him so we dont know when he will be back

Recently i've started to be all over the place with my moods - from up to down to up to numb - i dont know where i am.

Therefore, i went last week to see an NHS psych who i wasnt very impressed with. He prescribed me 400mg seroquel to take in place of the zyprexa along with my antidep and tegretol. However, at work i have access to the professional scientific literature so i researched it.

My tegretol has the effect of lowering the presence of seroquel in the body by 5 times. Therefore, i will be on an effective therapeutic dose of only 80mg instead of 400mg, and he told me the therapeutic dose was 400mg (with no interaction between meds). Whats the point in taking it if i'll not be on the therapeutic dose?

The pharmacist wouldnt even give it to me without ringing the psych himself to make sure he hadnt made a mistake - but the psych refuses to listen to both me and the phramacist.

Right now I'm feeling completely lost with a cupboard full of different drugs. I've tried so many mood stabs before.

Do I trust the psych who both i and the pharmacist independently think is wrong, or do i just start the zyprexa again????
400mg Quetiapine
(tried Prozac, Seroxat, Fluoxetine, Duloxetine, Abilify, Risperidone, Amisulpride, Stelazine, Olanzapine, Diazepam)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
(male)

esolc HB User
Re: Seroquel vs Zyprexa??? Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutshellNutter View Post
So, I'm on 1g tegretol (carbamazapine) and take 10mg zyprexa (olanzapine) when i feel the need or when i hallucinate. The things I cant bear about the zyprexa are the amount of weight i put on and also the excessive tiredness - like sleeping 4 hours in the afternoon.

My current private psych is away from work for extended illness and i havent seen him, or anybody, since July. His secretary still hasnt heard from him so we dont know when he will be back

Recently i've started to be all over the place with my moods - from up to down to up to numb - i dont know where i am.

Therefore, i went last week to see an NHS psych who i wasnt very impressed with. He prescribed me 400mg seroquel to take in place of the zyprexa along with my antidep and tegretol. However, at work i have access to the professional scientific literature so i researched it.

My tegretol has the effect of lowering the presence of seroquel in the body by 5 times. Therefore, i will be on an effective therapeutic dose of only 80mg instead of 400mg, and he told me the therapeutic dose was 400mg (with no interaction between meds). Whats the point in taking it if i'll not be on the therapeutic dose?

The pharmacist wouldnt even give it to me without ringing the psych himself to make sure he hadnt made a mistake - but the psych refuses to listen to both me and the phramacist.

Right now I'm feeling completely lost with a cupboard full of different drugs. I've tried so many mood stabs before.

Do I trust the psych who both i and the pharmacist independently think is wrong, or do i just start the zyprexa again????
In my case I just keep changing Psych. Doc's, I am on numer 5 now and he would like a second opinion from a sixth Psych. What are ya gonna do, In my case I am experimenting on my own by keeping a journal of meds when I felt good and bad for any corelations?

Case

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
(female)

AmVan HB User
Re: Seroquel vs Zyprexa??? Lost.

I guess having a little in your system is better than none till you can see your regular p doc again or a new one. It's a waist of money not getting the full effective though. Maybe you could call the "on call" doc at your hospital. I've had them give me emergency information over the phone till I could see my p doc again. Anyway, I just wanted to throw out some thoughts on it. I would deffinately rule out this p doc for the future. Good luck!

Closed Thread