It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
(male)

demotive33 HB User
Thumbs up Feedback to FDA on Generic vs Brand Medication

I am seeing that I am not the only person who feels a difference between the generic and brand of Lamictal for Bipolar. Is there a way to dispute or tell FDA that there is a difference, and should be relooked. I understand that the chemicals and everything have to be the same, but how about the way the medication is created?

There are few who see no difference between the two, but find that people react differently to similar treatments. So the question is again is there a way to provide feedback to FDA on these studies? Go through a doctor or self?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

PAYNE HB User
Re: Feedback to FDA on Generic vs Brand Medication

I would think that a person could contact the FDA directly, but you could ask a doctor to see what he/she says. I took Lamicatal for a long time, but I think I always took the "name brand." I don't know offhand how long the generic has been out, but I asked my psychiatrist about taking a new generic that had come out for another drug, and he said that the generic wouldn't be as good, because the dosage would vary from pill to pill--or something to that effect. The company would just have to make sure the pill averaged out to be the right concentration or something....I gathered, then, that generics need to be out for awhile before they are good to take....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
(male)

demotive33 HB User
Re: Feedback to FDA on Generic vs Brand Medication

Dear ****:

Thank you for your message to the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), one of the six centers within the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

People can react differently to generics or different brands because the inactive ingredients can be different or there could be something wrong with a particular lot of the product. We recommend that people report any problems they are experiencing with generic drug products to our MedWatch program. This program is a voluntary system of reporting to FDA problems patients' experience with products we regulate. We view this reporting system as a source for signaling trends. Should a trend emerge, the FDA will work with the sponsor of the product to address the problem. Actions may include changes in the labeling information or product packaging, change in manufacturing processes, enhanced warnings in the labeling or communications to health care professionals. In the most serious cases or where other attempted actions have not been effective, the sponsor may decide to remove the drug from the market or the drug may be recalled.

We now have a way to report directly to MedWatch via the Internet. You can find a link to the Internet voluntary reporting form by going to the MedWatch homepage (http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/index.html), and then click on "Submit a Serious Medical Product Report Online". In addition, if you would like to report your adverse experience directly to the MedWatch Program, please call 1-800-FDA-1088. Alternatively, you can call our Office of Drug Information at 301-796-3400, and request that a MedWatch packet be sent to you. Please be sure to include as much information on the product, such as manufacturer, NDC number, lot number. If you cannot obtain any of this information, as an alternative, please provide the imprint code printed on the tablet/capsule.

Sincerely,

Division of Drug Information
D202D

This communication is consistent with 21 CFR 10.85 (k) and constitutes an informal communication that represents our best judgment at this time but does not constitute an advisory opinion, does not necessarily represent the formal position of FDA, and does not bind or otherwise obligate or commit the agency to the views expressed.

For up-to-date drug information, follow the FDA's Division of Drug Information on Twitter at FDA_Drug_Info

Closed Thread