It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
(female)

UmI3 HB User
Question Sex drive and Bipolar DO

Not sure how many people deal with this issue but, I seem to have a crazy sex drive. Im not sure how this affects my husband. I can go a week and half without sex and sometimes be so irritable that I dont want to be touched. Then, out of no where, I will want to have sex two days in a row.

Some background; I am 31 and take wellbutrin in the AM, and Lamictal and Gabapentin in the PM. I used to suffer from rapid cycling, but this combinitation has relieved me from so many quick swings in moods. Before meds., when I thought nothing was wrong , I was promiscuous and highly sexual (2 or 3x a day).

Anyway, now, sometimes I find myself wanting to flush my meds because I hate this drop in my sex drive. My husband says it doesn't bother him more than having an unstable wife; he said he would rather put up with less sex than to have to fight me everynight. I dont know, I just want to know how many of you guys experience any of this??

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

momzsixpack HB User
Re: Sex drive and Bipolar DO

Personally I think you and your hubby are much better then me and mine are. I feel so bad for my hubby because there have been times when we have gone almost an entire year without any sex. Then we will get together a few times in one month, then we will have a long dry spell again. He is such a patient man and doesn't pressure me, he waits for me to make the first move. Although sometimes I wish he would. My major problem is my meds make me so sleepy at night, by the time I get upstairs and brush my teeth, I can barely keep my eyes open let alone get busy! Sometimes I will take my meds upstairs with me though and wait to take them until after, but that doesn't happen often obviously. Tell your hubby my story and I am sure he will appreciate how much he gets it... LOL
Levothyroxine 88 mcg
Remeron 60 mg
Trazodone 150 mg
Lamictal 100 mg
Klonopin 1 mg
Sanctura 40 mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

PAYNE HB User

Well, not exactly, but we do know that the medications we take can affect our sex drive, usually reducing it to zilch......Have you talked this over your with doctor? I'm just wondering if maybe you're still having a bit of mood swinging.....Two or three times a day? Wow! Maybe as your husband is getting older he is appreciating that he's not having to perform as often!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

What you're dealing with is pretty normal. Almost all of the Psych meds have some form of sexual side effect, and there's really no getting around them. Do yourself a favor, listen to your husband and try not to cause yourself any undo worry. If he says he's okay with it, then be okay with it too. It sounds like you're doing well on the meds and they're working....that's the important thing. Not having sex on a regular schedule or set times a week/month is much better than getting a divorce because your spouse can't deal with the rapid cycling. And unfortunately that's the road that many BP'ers face when they don't take their meds or get the help they need.

Take care and trust your man that he's telling you the truth. Just keep the lines of communication open and you guys will be fine.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

olivew HB User

You are not alone! I've experienced this both on and off meds. It all has to do with your mood swings, and even if you are taking medicine, it only helps to contain your moods. I still become manic and depressed although i'm on medicine, but it just isn't AS BAD. And usually the medicine will make you tired. So with your fluctuating moods, and the side effects... you could want to get busy almost never, a normal amount, or an unreal amount.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
(female)

debbiebp HB User

I'm in the same exact boat. I want to stop taking my meds so I will want to have sex again. My husband and I have it about twice a month. We've only been married for three years. I feel awful about it. But he says it's not all about sex. He does, on occasion, pressure me and that just turns me off even more. When I talked to my pdoc about this, he told me it's not the meds. I'm like, "Are you kidding me?". I was never like this before. But, I would never stop my meds for the sake of everyone around me.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:41 AM   #7
(female)

leahjane HB User

hi there

yes i have found the same thing out me and my partner use to have it every day he's lucky if he gets it once a month now i cant bear the thought of him putting his hands on me but the thing is i love having sex with him so i think it has some thing to do with the tablets we are taking .

hope to speak to you soon

Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
(female)

raddy HB User
sex drive and bipolar

i am on meds 48 and my sex drive has gotten worse dont care to have sex with my spouse think all the time about random sex never have done it but i really want to dont no how to stop thinking about it seeking phychiatrist as i am typing this on hold of course real good with someone with bipolar! suggestions answers anything could help but i doubt it thanks anyways for anyone getting back to me

Old 10-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
(female)

raddy HB User

alls i know is my sex drive is off the charts since i started meds any body in the sacramento area

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
(male)

jc197039 HB User

Any medication that stops my sex drive is welcome. I think about sex 24/7 sometimes 48/7 unless I am deeply depressed and I do not want to feel like that to have a rest from those thoughts. I was a happy camper when I was on Seroquel, Lexapro and Klonopin. No sexual drive, I was in heaven but as all good things it did not last.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM   #11
(male)

BPdustin HB User

Sounds like I'm in the same dilemma as some of you...

Before the meds, it went from 2-3 times a week, to daily, or more at times while manic. While depressed once every moth, or so.

Now, because of the meds (Seroquel, Lamictal, and Xanax), it's worse than the depression before the meds... once every 2 - 4 months, with major effort to 'get things going".

For the most part, I seem to have a reduced desire, and, except for rare occasions, the 'lack of ability to perform.'

Being 29, and having a wife with a way above normal sex drive, this is begining to have some serious effects on our relationship...

Last edited by BPdustin; 11-07-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
(male)

JBell123 HB User

I have reason to believe I have bi-polar, yet have very rarely in all my life experienced sex-drive. I'm currently seeing the doctors regarding drastically low libido.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-07-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
(male)

BPdustin HB User

Oddly, within of a day of my last post, I had a sudden and SEVERE manic episode that put me in the hospital for 5 days.

While there, a Dr there switched me from Seroquel to Lithium, and I've never felt better, sex drive is back to above normal and everything!

Closed Thread