It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

amylb1990400 HB User
am i bipolar and what should i do?

hi im amy new to this site, umm... well im currently 20 years old and have been diagnosed with depression from a young age but in the last 5 years or so i have been feeling very odd having some extreme highs which include loss of appetite concentration using drugs and alcohol spending sprees and also sex, i can not control this when i get impulses like the above it is impossible though i have tried. I also suffer with depression which is quite severe most of the time i find it hard to get out of bed or to even be able to connect with anyone including my partner who lives with me, i am hurting him so much but i dont feel like i can do anytjing about it
i have asked my doctor to test me to see if i am bipolar as my antidepressants do not work even though they have been changed a million times!! he said no that he wont test me and i also asked for counselling and he also declined that, at the moment i feel that im loosing control of everything and its getting worse, i want to change my doctor and have been telling my partner i would but im scared of finding out that i am bipolar, but i really feel like either an extreme high or an extreme low is on the way and im quite scared i dont know what to do
please help

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: amylb1990400
jacq42 (05-29-2011), tinkerbell45 (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
(female)

Luvrunning HB User
Re: am i bipolar and what should i do?

It sounds like you might have bipolar to me. You need to change Drs. One with more knowledge apparently. The reason the antidepessants are not
Working is because If you are bi polar and they put
U on an antidepressant alone it can make things worse... I know from experience. Don't be scared it's treatable. Find you a dr that can make a correct
Diagnosis and go from there. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Luvrunning For This Useful Post:
amylb1990400 (05-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

jacq42 HB Userjacq42 HB User

Hi first thing I would like to suggest is changing your doctor(obviously your choice),my background is very similar to yours and I was being given antidepressants for clinical depression for around 18yrs,and believe me I've tried them all. It wasn't until I went to see my usual GP and they had another doctor there that it was noticed that I have bipolar. I could not believe what I was hearing,along with what I was describing (identical to what you said in your post) and the dr was saying it made perfect sense,so now I'm awaiting my new medication etc.
Why on earth is your doctor not helping you is beyond me hence the suggestion for a second opinion from a doctor you've never seen before. I think a lot of gps to be honest,really don't have such a vast amount of knowledge of mental illness.
My new doctor won't medicate me or anything until I've seen the psychiatrist again due to other health issues.
Sorry to ramble on but you sound so similar to me and it does get so frustrating,just remember everyones different and its your choice if you want to seek help from a different doctor,hope you keep well and I have helped you a little
Jacq

The Following User Says Thank You to jacq42 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
(female)

ghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB Userghelpmelivelife HB User

I would strongly suggest you do change doctors! Him declining to test you for bi-polar when it is a major concern for you and the therapy as well sounds not good of him.

I hope you do find another doctor and you get the help you need! good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to ghelpmelivelife For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

tinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB Usertinkerbell45 HB User

I think you should get a second opinion ASAP!!!! I can't beleive that your dr. won't even consider therapy for you. I know he is your dr. but YOU know your body better than he/she does and it is telling you something is NOT right and it needs attention NOW so PLEASE take some action. We all on this board care about each other so PLEASE keep us posted. Until next time TAKE CARE!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to tinkerbell45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
(female)

girlegrlracing7 HB User

Hello and welcome! I would seriously suggest finding a new doctor. do not be scared to find out if you are bipolar. If you find out that you are then the doctor can get you proper help and medication. You have come to a great place for support! i wish you the best of luck and please keep us updated! it will be ok and you can get through this it maybe hard at first but eventually it does get better!

The following user gives a hug of support to girlegrlracing7:
tinkerbell45 (05-29-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to girlegrlracing7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi, welcome to the boards, hopefully we can help you out and be a support system for you. First off you're not A bipolar, *l* we're not things, it's a condition. From what you say, if sounds very likely that you might have Bipolar disoder. I would go to a psychiatrist for testing and find out. You don't have to have your docs permission to do this. If you're already seeing a psychiatrist and that's who's doing all the denying, then find a different one, because he's not doing his job, nor is he considering your best interest. That's all that you can really do in the beginning, find out what's what. We aren't docs here and can't diagnose you. But I think it would definitely be smart to go and get a diagnoses.

Take care, and please keep in touch, let us know how you're doing, okay?

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
tinkerbell45 (05-29-2011)
Closed Thread