It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

otisj HB User
Advice on tapering off Lithium

Hi- I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are or have been in the same boat as me. I have been on Lithium for 17 yrs straight. I have just started to taper down last week, in hopes of going off completely & possibly adding Prystique (sp?) if needed.

I was on 600 mg for YEARS. About a yr & a half ago, I did try to lower my dose, (only for about a month), but because of our family possibly making a major move, etc, I got nervous & went back up to 600 mg. to be safe. Since then, we have relocated & I feel the most stable I have ever felt. My level has always been .5, even on a higher dose (the highest I got to was 900 mg), & last yr after starting to lower & getting nervous, I tried increasing because out of my own fear I felt I had to, & I had horrible side effects, so doc put me back on 600.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone been on Lithium (just lithium for the most part) for this long & if so, have you tried to come off? Just curious what to expect & how to wean...........right now my doc has me weaning slowly....

Thank you so much.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
(male)

AndyPink HB User
Re: Advice on tapering off Lithium

Just saw your post, how are you getting along?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

otisj HB User

Hi- I actually never weaned completely - I had a setback & am now on about 700 mg - April was 18 yrs that I have been on Lithium & I still plan on trying to wean off completely again soon. Have you ever tried Lamictil? (sp?)

Old 06-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #4
(male)

AndyPink HB User

Hi I have been on lithium for just over 20 years at 900mg. 9 months ago I dropped to 750mg. This is the only drug I'm on, I stayed at 750mg for three months before dropping to 600mg for six months. I then dropped to 450mg one month ago. I plan to stay at this level for another few months and if all is ok will drop down again.

I find when I drop I get very tied and need to rest as my body adjusts, but I have found I do have the odd night of not sleeping to well, maybe due to a bit of anxiety, if this last for two or three nights I take ambian to get a few good nights of good sleep.

I use mood trackers and other tools to track my symptoms during this time. The key is to go very, very slowly and listen to your body.

I was on lamatil a few years ago but I found it badly effected my short term memory, and it is designed to help more with depression rather than manic symptoms so I came off.

Four months ago I had comprehensive blood work to check my adrenals, neurotransmitters with NeuroScience and have gone onto other natural supplements which are helping a great deal.

Hope this helps, good luck

Andy

Closed Thread