It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

Carey1973 HB User
Question Has Anyone's Bipolar gotten worse with age?

Hi there, I am a 38 yr old Bipolar 1 sufferer, also have BPD and PTSD, and have noticed with age even now that I am on medication, that I am getting worse. My depression has gotten worse, and when I am manic, I am just rotten. Anyone experiencing the same. Kinda scares me that I will wind up institutionalized as an elderly person.

The following user gives a hug of support to Carey1973:
slenderella (09-25-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User
Re: Has Anyone's Bipolar gotten worse with age?

Hi Carey,
I have read that as time goes by the symptoms get worse if the illness goes untreated. Perhaps you need to talk to your Pdoc and asking him to reevaluate you medication and everything else with you as well?
I hope it gets better.
Hugs

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetonlyme For This Useful Post:
Carey1973 (08-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
(female)

ginger3130 HB Userginger3130 HB User

Yes, unfortunately, my moods have gotten worse as I age. In my late 30's I started getting more irritable (regular MD chalked it up to perimenapause!) Maybe that is so, but now in my mid-40's my mood are still the same. I MUST take something or else I am a witch.

I am just having trouble finding the right stabilizer to take. Klonopin has always been my emergency go to drug to calm down a panic attack or hyper mood and it works - just not long term.

Doc wants me to be on Geodon or Abilify due to no weight gain (he doesn't want me gaining weight and would like me to lose weight). Lithium has worked ok in low doses, but at therapeutic doses I get depressed.

Who knows. But, in answer to your question, yes, I think mood disorders get worse, if not treated as you get older, and if you are a women, throw in the hormone aspect. My sis is terribly bipolar and refuses to accept it and take meds. Her moods have gotten severely worse as she has gotten older.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger3130 For This Useful Post:
Carey1973 (08-18-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

For myself, it tends to improve, but that is more due to the fact that I've learned how to manage it and keep it calm.

This disorder can be extremely frustrating, as "fixes" are not available and "standards" don't apply as every patient is different. If you're getting worse with time, may I inquire how well you manage or have learned to manage your BP over the years? That's a major factor, learning how to be stable. For me a certain formula has worked well over time, and it's pretty easy:

Therapies (talk, CBT, DBT, etc.) + Meds (combo of anti-depressant, mood stabilizers, anti-seizure or anti-psychotic) + good relationship with pdoc/tdoc including complete honesty and open communication.

Another key factor to being stable is consistency, meaning Same pdoc/tdoc for the long term. Try to find the pdoc/tdocs that you click with and settle in for he long haul. Med compliance is a must and don't let your pdoc bully you about meds, if your not comfortable with something he/she suggests, and you've done your research, then step up, let him know your reasoning and ideas. Managing this disease is a team effort between patient and medical professionals.

One last suggestion then I'll close this "book" *l* A support system is vital to keeping your BP under control. And it can be anyone or combination of them. My support system is only 2, but they are 2 incredible people and I relish their input. Numbers don't count, your support people should be compassionate to your Disorder, be willing to discuss it but don't interrogate you or harangue you to "change" or "get better". They need to know that in this circumstance you can't "get better" and change happens gradually day by day. They also need to know that it is entirely possible and probable to manage this disorder and be stable. And of course your pdoc/tdoc should be on your support team.

Sorry this is so long, I guess I got a bit wordy!

Kat

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
dee088 (08-27-2011), exoticsquare (09-21-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

justmilieu HB User

Yes, it has gotten worse with age. Looking back I can see that my bipolar started about 10 years (age 19); I fell into depressions and had times of hypomania- nothing too extreme. Now it's turned into mixed states; the depressions are much darker than before; the hypomania turns psychotic and paranoid, and small things set me off now (kindling effect.)
*However* I diagnosed less than a year ago and am just trying a mood stablizer for the first time now, so really, I hadn't been treated for many, many years. So I'm hopeful I don't see it getting much worse because now I understand it and can cope much better, and am on medication.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

And if I recall from another one of your posts, you are going untreated. You don't believe in taking meds for BiPolar, so you can pretty much bet the farm it's not going to get better.....how much age has to do with that, and your unwillingness to manage your disorder is a bit of a conundrum.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
(male)

boxofrain671 HB User

I was diagnosed when I was 16 and at that point my manic episodes were destructive anger outbursts. Now I am twenty and my manic episodes are usually just a mild to extreme hypomanic state where I am more extroverted and have a what most people associate with mania like the gregarious type or life of the party. My point being is I think its more about your illness evolving and growing more than it is getting worse. Important thing is to learn and be aware of these changes and how to adapt to them

Old 08-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
(female)

Blueyes72 HB User

I was 19 when I had my first depression and for me it progressively got worse from there. At 30 I reached stability and I did not get worse for those 9 years, they were the best years of my adult life. And I have read that if you are cycling it gets worse over time.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
(male)

Ndricho HB User

People, this is my first post in this forum. I feel your suffering, as I am have bipolar as well. I had my first breakdown of bipolar, anxiety and OCD altogether (I learned what had haunted me only later) when I was 23, to add to that I was a student in a foreign country far from home and with nobody to help me. For that reason this first experience was horrible, but since then have been close to family and that has helped ease the suffering during the following episodes. I believe I have had 4 down times up to now that I am 29. afterwards I started Lithium and currently it seems like I am having the first down. This time I haven't taken any anti-depr. just sleeping pills. I must admit it is not as bad as the other times, but it is tough and frustrating 1.5 months by now, that is why I am in here now. thanks to all for giving support

Old 09-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

juleslee HB User

i know what you mean,im 41 and feel my depression has got worse,i now get mixed mania and lows together,i feel more aggressive and feel ive now had anough of life,feel ive lived a 100 years lol,i dont go out the door now eigther,this illness is a total waste of a life i feel,i cant be with anyone and have no dreams anymore.i just exist.noone understands me,but there not in my head,

Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
(female)

imjustme1 HB User

Im only 26 and im experiencing the same thing! ive only recently been pronounced bipolar but i deffinitly feel like each day im loosing it more and more... I think about not being able to have a relationship or even be able to work again or who will take care of me if it continues to get worse??

Old 09-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

For me what has became worse is I no longer leave the house unless it is for a dr appt. I no longer gorcery shop. I hate it.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Dee,

Have you talked with your pdoc about whether this is a true BP symptom or perhaps a symptom of another disorder.....like agoraphobia?

Kat

Old 09-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I think you are right. Over the past two years it is much worse. Alot is due to extreme paranoia, hearing voices, and a wrenching fear people want to hurt me. Then I think I want to hurt them before they hurt me. After the fact, I know its not really true, or is it? My dr gave me prolixin to help with the voices. This is no way to live life. I hope it improves. I was diagnoised Bipolar schizoaffective. Still clueless about that label. Good thing about being in the house, not by choice, is I do keep busy.

Closed Thread