It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User
My Pdoc wants to put me on Seroquel...

Hello,

I have been for the last two and a half months on Cypralex (10 mg a day) and only to months on Lamotrigine (100mg a day) to treat BP type 2. Last Friday I went to my Pdoc appointment and she says that she wants to put me on Geodon to get rid of my anxiety or OCD or the skin picking and hair pulling.
The reason I don't want Geodon is because I don't handle well weight gain. I have bulimia and anorexia, compulsive eating since I was 15 years old. I could jump from one to the other. Get 20 pounds in two months and then lose all the weight in one month. I can't diet because is very easy for me to start to restrict food intake. I am scared, terrified to become like that again. I don't have a very healthy relationship with food. I am much better now. I like to cook and make others eat. I enjoy seeing people eating. I am not very happy when people leave food on the plate. And I HATE when people serve more food on my plate than I allow myself to eat.
Anyhow , NO GEODON for me. I weigh123 pounds at the moment as my friend ask me to weigh myself (the one rule for me is not to do it so I won't become obsessive)and voila. I was stupid enough I weighed myself and the wrong number showed up.
Wow! Sorry for the rant.
GEODON... ? I appreciate your input...

Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: My Pdoc wants to put me on Seroquel...

Okay first off how ya doing Isa?

Seroquel was never designed to treat bipolar by itself, it's a "piggyback" med...in other works it's generally added to an anti-depressant when the anti d isn't doing all that it should be doing. As for the weight gain, it can go either way. I've used Seroquel on and off for the last five or six years and generally don't gain weight from it, but once or twice I have. Alot of it just has to do with all the other meds your on, what time of year it is, what your exercise schedule is, how active you are, things like that. Topomax which is another off label piggy back med is great at keeping weight off and actually making you lose weight. It was originally marketed as an anti-epileptic med and I took it for that and cluster migraines. But as it turned out it was great at helping me keep the depression at bay when used along side my Lexapro.

But of course, and here's the rub, it doesn't work the same for everyone, you have to just be willing to give it a try and see what happens.

So, you do what you can, keep yourself educated about the meds and always give them a fair try. The don't always work to their full potential quickly.

Hang in there,

Kat

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
lizanded (09-24-2011), sweetonlyme (09-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

Laur765 HB User

I was put on seroquel when I first realized I wasn't just struggling with depression. I was miserable, so I went to my GP, who was prescribing effexor for depression at the time for me. He wasn't sure what it was, so he recommended a psychiatrist, took me off the effexor, and gave me a scrip for seroquel in the mean time. I HATED it. I mean, like the previous person said, it's different for everyone, and I've heard of it working wonders for some people, but I had a terrible experience with it. I started taking it just at night, and I'd practically experience sleep paralysis when I went to bed. It was terrifying. I had weird dreams, and they felt insanely real. When I would wake up, I felt like a zombie. Then I had to start taking them during the day too, and that was unbearable. I stopped after a couple days of walking around half dead to the world. Went to the psych doc, got prescribed Topamax. Katlin is right, it works great for me. With my wellbutrin for depression, the topamax keeps my manic episodes controlled without making me feel like I have no emotions. And the psych doc actually chose it because he knew I struggled with my weight as well. I've been on it for about two years now. I've lost about 30 pounds overall, and the reason I haven't lost more is because I'm a compulsive over eater as well. Like Katlin said, with psych drugs, the only thing to do is test things out and see what works. Each drug is different for each person. You can always suggest things, the worst that can happen is that your pdoc will say he/she doesn't think it's a good idea =]

Old 09-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

lizanded HB User

Good evening Laur765.

I have been on seroquel 3 or 4 times. This last time has been for 18 months or so. I have been lucky. The only side effect that I have had is bouncing of the walls for a couple weeks every time that we upped the dosage.

I got up to 1600 mg a day last summer. Now I take 200 mh of Seroquel XR.

It has been good for me but a lot of people don't benefit from it.

I have been getting medicines for manic depression simce 1973 or so off and on.

I also take 200 mg of topiramate as well.

The main lesson that I have learned is that your system constantly builds up resistance to any med that you take.

As a result, you meds starts becoming less useful as the months go by. It's not the end of the world. Your psychiatrist will order something else in the same family of meds.

Eventually you'll cycle back around to stuff you've used before.

It won't happen to every med you take. Don't be surprised if it does happen eventually.

Have a great day.

lizanded

Old 09-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I was on seroquel 800mg then 600mg for two years and gained no weight. Other people do. About the geodon, One lady was rail thin and was on geodon for 12 years. One other lady was on Geodon for 2 years and gained 35 lbs. So really it is up to your body on how the meds will work. I was thinking about going on Geodon soon. I have to talk to my doc. Good luck

Old 09-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
(female)

kjcolmo HB Userkjcolmo HB User

I have never been on Seroquel.
Though, has Effexor XR ever been offered?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I took seroquel for two years with no weight gain and found some friends did. One girl on geodon was rail thin and another girl gained 35 lbs. It is all up to your body on how you react to it. Best of luck

Old 09-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Isa,

Well you've gotten a bunch of helpful info. that will serve you well. I know it sounds kind of geeky, but along with my mood journal I keep a notebook of Meds, I put in info. that people here on the board tell me, as well as my own research. I do this because, and one of the other posters brought up this very important point, when you have BP you know it's a lifetime disease, it can wane and seem almost not there for months at a time, and then it can come back full force. The point it you'll always be on meds as that is the main way to manage BP, and just like with any lifelong disease your mind and body will get used to the meds and they'll stop being so effective, so your pdoc will find something in the same class and switch you, this will happen many times throughout your BP journey, you just kind of get used to it. As ever person's chemical/biological makeup is different there no time schedule to how long a med will work for each person. So, it's kind of important to accept this in the beginning, so you don't get upset or angry each time it happens....it's just part of the program and you have to go with the flow.

But this is part of the reason I keep my separate medication journal, so I know what meds I've been on, for how long, how they worked/or didn't work and then I have all my research and fellow BP'ers input on new and different meds. That way when it comes time to talk to my pdoc about changing meds, I'm educated and can offer my suggestions as well as listen to his.

I have always been a major supporter of having a pdoc that will work with you and not just tell you what he/she thinks is best and make you do that. Over the last 23 years of my BP dx, I've worked with both kinds, and I can tell you as a fact that when you have a doc that will work with you and who cares about what you think....that makes dealing with this disease much easier.

I hope that your doing well and all this information isn't too overwhelming. *smile* Your a strong lady and you've come a long way in a short time. If you fee like it give us a yell and let us know how you're doing and what you've decided.

(((((Hugs))))))

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
lizanded (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 03:14 AM   #9
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User

My Pdoc says that i will be better for me as far as my skin picking. She says it will make it go away. I don't believe it.
I am on Lamotrigene 100 mg a day and Cypralex 25mg a day. I still get depressed, only for a couple of hours of maybe 5 hours. I don't really know. I don't have a lot of appetite either.
Today I hate to have this stupid bipolar thing.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

lizanded HB User

The mood diary is a great idea. Take it with you to everyone of your psychologist/therapist appointments.

Your psychiatrist could care less. Your appointments are usually only 15 minutes. My psychiatrist learns more from how you walk and talk. He watches how you sit on the couch. He watches your hands and he listens to how you respond to his questions. He looks at how you appear. Are you clean cut or lookind a little rough? Those things tell him all that he needs to know.

If you want to keep a record of meds that you have tried go to your pharmacy. Do they have a website? Do you use it? You can usually ******** 2-3 years of prescription history from there.

Your pharmacist in the store can print those out for you as well. Try to catch they when they're not so busy. Just ask for records going back as far as they have on file.

I use a Microsoft Office Excel Spreadsheet to list my mood and med charts. You can use separate tabs for as many charts as you want.

Depending on your situation you may need a pain log.

I set up a sleep chart. I needed that when I went in for my sleep study for my sleep apnea.

I use Excel docs is because you can have several columns as well as a comments section.

You may have columns of your main daily issues. Maybe:

depressed
bored
hyper
weak
dizzy
whatever your main moods are

the purpose of the columns are to just be able to check off the normal moods. That saves time and makes it easier and more likley that the diary will be used regularly.

The main thing with any diary is that you make it in such a way that you will want to come back to it every day.

I wish you all of the luck in the world. You are in the right place if you need support.
Have a truly special day.

lizanded

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
(female)

Laur765 HB User

I know how you feel. Sometimes it's overwhelming knowing you'll have to be on meds all your life to maintain a balance, but at least you know you have help and support. I have the skin and hair picking issue too, and my pdoc never addressed it. It's so bad that I have sores sometimes from repicking scabs. The topamax doesn't help with that, so maybe that wouldn't be good to put on the list of suggestions. I would try out the seroquel or geodon and if you don't like it, talk to your pdoc and I'm sure he/she will be willing to try you out on something else

Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User

I am such a rookie. I know so little about BP disorder. I can only thank you all for all the valuable information. Every time I realize that I know very little about this thing. I only want to have a more or less manageable or somewhat normal life.

Thank you for all the input.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

[QUOTE=lizanded;4849771]Your psychiatrist could care less. Your appointments are usually only 15 minutes.[END QUOTE]

Lizanded, seriously your pdoc appt.s are only 15 minutes? How often do you see him?

Kat

Old 09-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Your getting there, everyone has to start somewhere...your being smart and learning what you can about your meds and BP, this will aid you in the long run of being able to manage your BP.

Another med that works very well for any type of self injury/self harm is Lithium, it could help with the hair and skin picking issues.

kat

Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

lizanded HB User

You can get longer appointments if you ask to schedule one but a normal appointment is 15 minutes.

He is a strong believer in that it is the therapists job to understand what is going on. It is his job to manage my medications to keep me as even keeled as possible.

He gets a lot of information from my physiical appearance. He also talks to the therapist.

We do discuss racing thoughts, my irritability, my relationship with my wife and a few other things. It's remarkable how quickly you can communicate with a minimum of words. We have been working together for 5 years.

lizanded

Closed Thread