It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
(female)

exoticsquare HB User
Bipolar and Acne

I was wondering how many of you who suffer from Bipolar also suffer from acne? I don't mean that our medication causes it. I was just wondering if there was a link between this disorder and acne. I'm 31 and I still get pimples. I'm going to a dermatologist for treatment. I was wondering if anyone else here has the same problem. Since the hormones are sort of out of wack maybe that causes the acne too?

Old 10-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
(female)

cdnbipolargirl HB User
Re: Bipolar and Acne

Yes Bi polar and no meds. I had acne when I was about 14 really bad so I was on acutane and cleared it up right away for about 8 years. (warning this medication can cause severe depression) In my early 30's too and have had a lot of trouble within the last few years. Everyone has an idea from stress to food to needing cleaner skin. After I tried every cream and washing solution known to man I was desperate to not look like I was punched in cheeks. The acne then was making my face almost purple in spots and it was very painful. Not to mention gross and I really felt sad as a kid that I had to go around looking that way and I wasn't growing out of it. There is a reason my body is responding. Like a rash could be an allergy or start of a virus/cold. I am trying to narrow it down because I just realized the more MILK I drink the more I get massive breakouts right away. And I don't mean a little dot I am talking about cystic acne that is around my jaw line, cheakbone or chin or higher up on my neck, would show up over night and the red marking in the skin would last a month or more just like grade 9. 10 days now without milk and pimples have completely retreated to nothing not even a spec. (cheese for some reason isn't affecting me just skim, 1% 2% or chocolate milk) There is natural estrogen and added hormones in milk or the food the pregnant cows are eating and I could be sensitve to it maybe more than others combined with the mood changes. Maybe as a kid I could have avoided the acne treatments all together if I didn't drink so much milk and more water or fruit juice. I have given up drinking milk and adding in more veggies. My goal is a year just to see what happens to the complexion and if my food choices can help control my moods too. (I don't drink coffee or soft drinks often less than a cup a week)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

exoticsquare HB User

Thank you for replying. I did Accutane as a teenager too, but I don't think it would be good to do again because now I know the risk involved. I haven't noticed the link between the acne and milk, but I will stop drinking milk and see if that helps. I get bad pimples around my jaw line too, and I heard that was a sign it was hormonal. My nose and forehead are clear. It's very annoying.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
(female)

cdnbipolargirl HB User

worth a try anyway good luck

Closed Thread