It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
(female)

KrissyO HB User
Smile Zyprexa and lithium?

Has anyone taken these 2 together? Or even just lithium by itself? I was recently prescribed lithium and I was curious about people's experience with it. Hope to hear from someone. I suffer extreme lows, crushing depressions that make it hard to get along in daily life. I've started to feel a but better but haven't been on lithium that long. SO that's why I was curious what others; experiences were with it. Thank you so much,
K

Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
(male)

johnnyj1 HB User
Re: Zyprexa and lithium?

Hi Krissy -

I have taken lithium in the past and one of the medications I am on now is Zyprexa. I am lucky that I have tolerated many different medications over the years. On thing I can tell you is that Zyprexa can really stimulate the appetite - I highly recommend exercise and careful watching of what you eat (try high fiber, low cal foods). Zyprexa has really helped me and I would encourage you to give it some time to see if it helps with your mood.

Yours,

John B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
(female)

lynnlee HB Userlynnlee HB User

I have been on both but not at same time. I didnt like zyprexas side effects. But now that I am on lithium I feel great most of the time. Life is a good thing now filled with peace. And it worked kinda fast if you ask me, I noticed I was much better within a month! I used to go off meds because they never seemed to do enough but I will never chance that now, I love my life just as it is too much to do that anymore. Lithium saved my life and made it better.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
(female)

KrissyO HB User

Thank you both for sharing your experiencing. Yes I, too, seem to be reaping some immediate benefits from lithium within the first few weeks even! And the Zyprexa hasn't made me hungry til now. I've been on it a while and only now has my appetite come back but I think that's due to the lithium's efficacy for getting me out of the depression (which was rendering me sans appetite). Anyway, TY both so much for replying.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

KrissyO HB User

I posted a reply saying Thanks for the replies but it doesn't seem to have posted. I Wanted to also ask if you noticed any sexual side fx from zyprexa? I have a vanishing libido

Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
(male)

Toby706 HB UserToby706 HB User

Hi there- I have been on Lithium in various dosages for 15 years and was on Zyprexa early in my BP1 for 6 months. The Lithium is fine for me-the only issue I have ever had on it was when the Dr increased my dose, I peed like crazy. Zyprexa is another ball of twine-it is potentially dangerous. My triglyceride levels went through the roof-I gained 60 pounds and became depressed. Where in the prescribed me Paxil-and I ended up in the hospital with severe delusions and hallucinations. The doctor there thought I was misdiagnosed and that I had schizophrenia-my parents went ballistic. They wondered how you "become" schizophrenic after taking an antipsychotic-which Zyprexa is.

I am now on the least number of psych meds and feel great and have gotten my weight back down and energy balanced. Be very careful with Zyprexa-my opinion is it should NOT be used for bipolar and sparingly as a last resort for schizophrenia.

Reply Reply