It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
(female)

Ginger2505 HB User
Bipolar Meds and Weight Gain

I have gained so much weight on all of the different meds I've been on through the years. My doctor has added topomax and I'm hoping it will allow me to lose some weight even though I'm on lithium and that is a real weight gainer for me. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

marianna43 HB Usermarianna43 HB Usermarianna43 HB User
Re: Bipolar Meds and Weight Gain

I lost weight on Topomax for awhile and it was great but then I must have been on it for too long or something because I stopped losing weight.

The Following User Says Thank You to marianna43 For This Useful Post:
Ginger2505 (02-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

Donna226 HB User

The same thing happened to me, I gained 40lbs within 2 weeks of going on one medication and was on a roller coaster ride for years trying one medication after another. I was prescriped Topamax to try to break a
migraine cycle. They said it might also help with the Bipolar & weight gain. It did help a little and then nothing. I've struggled for years to get that weight off and am VERY defensive when it comes to adding or switching my meds now. I hope it helps you find a balance. That's all any of us want is to find balance.

The Following User Says Thank You to Donna226 For This Useful Post:
Ginger2505 (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

Moortje HB User

I'm wondering if maybe the dosage of Seroquel makes a difference to weight gain? I gained weight whilst taking 50-100mg each night and I'm looking at taking the lowest possible dose in an attempt to prevent weight gain and also feeling drowsy in the mornings. 50mg completely knocks me out within 30 minutes of taking it.

Has anyone tried a low dose?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
(female)

ivy1122 HB User

I have taken risperdal for almost two year's...... I did not like it at all, one of the reasons i didnt like it was weight gain. as soon as i went off it i lost the weight. I take ambilify now, 10 mgs....... I love it!! no weight gain, or any other side affects.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

Hi everyone! What a bad side-effect med-related weight gain can be! I tried Topomax about ten years ago, and I had heard so much talk about how it makes a person lose weight, that I got the impression weight-loss was to be expected. The package insert given to me by the pharmacist showed that approx one-third of patients on Topomax actually lose weight. The average amount of weight lost was not that impressive, so I didn't know what all the hoopla was all about. The side-effects were too much for me, so I stopped taking it.
In terms of Seroquel, I've been taking it for 12 yrs. without significant weight gain. I think I got lucky(?). While the dosage of anti-psychotic drugs is contigent upon why you are taking it in the first place, I've gone as low as 25mg for extended periods, mostly to help me sleep. Percentage-wise, it sounds like a nice, big cut to go from 50-100mg to 25mg, but I'm guessing that if you actually gain weight at 50-100mg, (already a low dose), the weight reaction at 25mg is sort of anyone's guess. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to TinoRock For This Useful Post:
Ginger2505 (06-24-2012)
Closed Thread