It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

Donna226 HB User
My Therapist Died

I've had the same therapist for over ten years. She was more than that, she was my friend. I could tell her ANYTHING even the most horrible thoughts. It's been about 9 months and I'm suffering by not having sessions with a therapist. My PD doctor is ok but simply rights prescriptions. How do I start over? In order to understand me and how I got here they would or should know everything. How in the world am I supposed to do that? Number one I would be reliving everything thru the discussions, number two it would take FOREVER, I've had a lot of crap in my life and number three how do I replace someone like her? She had her own practice so nobody I could ask for direction and I'm not even sure what has happened to my medical records. I'm in desperate need of help but I don't know where to start.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Donna226
Looking4aAnswer (03-11-2012), Phoenix (03-12-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
(female)

Theater HB User
Re: My Therapist Died

I am so sorry for your loss and cannot imagine how hard it must be for you. I would try to contact your state's counseling organization to ask about getting your records and to see if they could recommend someone for you. I will be thinking about you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
(female)

Donna226 HB User

Thank you I had no idea where to get my records from. It's going to be hard enough replacing my therapist much less finding a new one and having to re-live everything so they can know everything about me past and current.
Thanks so much for your response. I am new to this board.

The following user gives a hug of support to Donna226:
Theater (03-01-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
(female)

sheltiemom2006 HB User

My heart goes out to you. I cannot imagine losing my psychologist right now. I would be absolutely lost. Does your psychiatrist have someone he can refer you to? It's not good to be out on your own with no one to share your pain with. It's an invitation to a Bipolar swing. How close are you and your psychiatrist? Sometimes they can be really good at directing you to the right person for therapy. I adore my psychiatrist. He and I have been together over 17 years. When it was time for me to change therapists after almost 13 years with the same person, he chose the absolutely perfect person to send me to. Remember you are grieving. That grief needs to be honored and cared about.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

AngeInBoston HB User

I'm so sorry for your loss, I love my therapist too, and can't imagine how grief stricken I would be to lose her suddenly.....I'd need therapy immediately to help me through it! No one took over her practice and "inherited" her patients? I think you need to find someone new immediately, and it may take more than one try to find the perfect fit, but you need to talk to someone ASAP!

Good Luck!

Reply Reply