It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User
Psych retires after 8 years

I've been seeing my psychiatrist either every 2 or at the most every 4 weeks since 2004. He retired this week, so I had my last session and will not see him again - he was a brillaint psych, always intent on listening rather than talking.

Now I will have to start over with a new one - I'm not looking forward to it..

400mg Quetiapine
(tried Prozac, Seroxat, Fluoxetine, Duloxetine, Abilify, Risperidone, Amisulpride, Stelazine, Olanzapine, Diazepam)

Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Psych retires after 8 years

Nut,

Did you ask him to refer someone for you, they generally have a network of friends who have the same style as they do and believe in the same teachings and ideologys they do.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
(female)

Mashugana HB User
Unhappy Re: Psych retires after 8 years

katlin had a very good idea...doc's do have network and hospital doc friends..check it out if you can.
i had a very similiar situation...my pdoc moved to a building that didn't have an elevator (i'm in a wheelchair) so we had phone apps. for a while intill the insurance found out. they refused to pay..i had to find someone else as i already self pay for therapist. my husband is very cheap although we do have enough money.
so, i feel for you,
yours, mashugana

Old 05-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

Hi Nut I was just wondering if you rememer me? I sure remember you because you helped me so much when I was on regularly posting before my husband passed away. I just wanted to thank you again. I hope you find a good pdoc.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Thank-you for your replies, and yes Marsh - I do remember you, thankyou for your contact and I hope your life is settling down after your loss.

My old psych was private and I self-paid, so we used this as a good time to try out the NHS again - what a bad idea that was, and I shall never return to the psych dept of the NHS. I wasn't even seen by a psychiatrist, but rather his 'understudy'. For one hour she made me essentially qualify myself as having bipolar, even though she had received a referral from my old psych of 8years worth of history!!! Then I was told I would only be seen 3 times a year unless I was ill. I mentioned that the reqason I considered myself to be relatively 'stable' was becuase I worked proactviely, not reactivley with my psych - but no, only 3 times a year wa re-iterated. Other things were said in the NHS conslutation which I'm sure the mods would delete. All in all it was a nightmare and a waste of my time.

Therefore, my old private psych who I loved has referred me to his old boss - a very well qualified and experienced psych whom I have seen once before. My first appt with him is at the start of July, so fingers crossed!!!!

Thanks again,

The Nut.
400mg Quetiapine
(tried Prozac, Seroxat, Fluoxetine, Duloxetine, Abilify, Risperidone, Amisulpride, Stelazine, Olanzapine, Diazepam)

Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
(female)

annii456 HB Userannii456 HB User
Angry Re: Psych retires after 8 years

I'm in the same boat, I've been seeing mine for close to 30 years and feel very lost. She is keeping on about 5 clients until the end of the year. She said she has been having lunch
with people in her field and has realized she hasn't found anyone who treats like her. In fact she shared she wouldn't want to go to any of the pros she has met with. She was try-
ing to help us transition easier.. Oh boy............ Hopefully we will be assertive since we know what works for us.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

That...your story just made me want to weep for you. Normies have absolutely no idea how hard it is to find and bond with a good psychiatrist. They don't understand that we are trusting these Dr.'s with out fears, secrets, insecurities, sadness...at times our very soul it seems.

I'm not sure I could stay with someone who was that selfish with my medical care.....we, like everyone else deserve the best, not whatever leftover scraps we're thrown.

I'm so sorry for you and your situation.

Kat

Old 06-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Nut,

I'm so glad you got set up with a good and caring Dr. I swear some of these agencies think we are just forms with numbers stamped on our heads and if the numbers are in the correct range we go to Door #1, and so on and so forth.

Kat

Old 06-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

NutshellNutter HB User

Hi annii,
Gosh, I can't imagine 30 years... 8 years has already pulled the guts and heart from within me.
My old psych was so helpful to me, understanding and always there if I needed him. I had his mobile number and personal email, and if I needed help, day or night I was allowed to contact him personally. Through the 8 years of working together, he came to give me a position of authority over my own care - ie. we shared the responsibility for it, as I have a head on my shoulders which knows the area. No-one else to date, except one psychoanalytical therapist has given me this 'validation' of knowing myself what is best for me on the majority of occassions. 8 years of therapy, 8 years of psychiatrist care, 8 years of med tweaking and changing, 8 years of ME living with IT - yet still, I am just an invalid number to some people as Katllin eluded to....

I wish you all the best annii, I haven't seen my psych since May when we said goodbye, and I am still feeling empty and abandoned. He wasn't just my psych, after knowing someone that long and that deep I had to say goodbye to a good friend too....

Bes trong when you see your next psych - interview them as they willl do you - thats what I done. Afterall we are the most important thing in the relationship of psych and patient, so we should be the decision makers on whose care we want to receive.

Good Luck,
The Nut.
400mg Quetiapine

Closed Thread