It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
(male)

AndyPink HB User
Coming of Lithium after 20 years

I'm in the process of reducing Lithium after 20 years. Took 900mg for 20 years before taking the decision to tapering slowly. First down to 750mg for 3 months, then 600mg for six months, now been on 450mg for a month. Why? Started to grow nodules on thyroid, had memory problems, slower thoughts, the list goes on.

Be interested in connecting with others who have been on Lithium for a long time and successfully come off with no other medication.

I know my brain my never recover but, could not live with a body that was slowly wasting away due to this drug.

Thoughts? Advise? Learnings?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User
Re: Coming of Lithium after 20 years

Hi there. I wish I had some info, but actually I expect to be in your boat pretty soon, coming off Lithium after 27 yrs due to thyroid/kidney issues. I'm not looking forward to it for Lithium has worked well. I'm not clear on what you mean when you say "successfully come off with no other medication". Are you saying you don't intend to replace it with another mood stabilizer, ever, or just aren't going to take the edge off the process with Drug X? I'm bummed because I'll have to replace it with something. If you can clarify, that might help get some better answers. (Hope I'm not missing the obvious... Cheers & good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
(male)

AndyPink HB User

When I mean successfully come off, I mean come off all medication and manage my moods without the need for medication and their side effects. Although I do have olanzapine and ambian it case I need it.

I have started a journey last year to slowly lower my medication. I have slowly reduced my lithium from 900 now 450. Along with introducing other vitamins and minerals after having various tests. My moods are now very stable, and have been very relaxed, carm and sleep better than i have in years.

I know there are risks in my approach, but after having issues with thyroid, I decided not to wait until they got worse or kidneys gave me issues as well before looking for alternate ways. The risks are there but are being mitigated with close Dr supervision and use of mood monitors / scorecards.

I'm only in my forties, so he chances we're crazy high I would have to come off lithium sooner or later. So decided to be proactive rather than reactive with the intention of living a very long healthy life with no physical problems caused by medication.

I read and read constantly on health, nutrition and medication - and believe this to be the best approach going forward. It may take me another year to come off all lithium as it takes a while for the body to adjust and minimize my chances of and mood swings.

Let me know your thoughts...

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
(male)

AndyPink HB User

I'm slowly reducing, not planning to replace it with another drug. I have been making a number of shifts in my health over the pat 14 months. I want to be proactive and reduce slowly rather than wait for an organ to give me trouble and then be up against a more demanding time line.

Been reading many books and learning lots round vitamins, scorecards etc.

Closed Thread