It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User
Switching from Lithium to Trileptal

Does anyone have experience that they can share about Trileptal as a mood stabilizer? I hear various reports regarding frequency of side-effects and effectiveness in general...

Last edited by TinoRock; 10-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
(male)

ambipolar HB User
Re: Switching from Lithium to Trileptal

i had great success switching from tegretol to trileptal. i hope you have insurance because it is expensive. in fact, i switched from trileptal to lithium because of the cost.

The Following User Says Thank You to ambipolar For This Useful Post:
TinoRock (10-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

sowrong HB User

I was taking lithium and had extreme pain in my kidneys or back and well lets just say every side effect there was I was having. I felt so normal if there is such a thing on it. I've never felt so incontrol of myself and life issues. Now I am starting lamictal. I see you have used it or you are allergic to it. Can you tell what you experienced? I'm nervous and scared this won't work. I need my life back.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

Hi! I'm pretty sure my extremely bad reaction to lamictal is pretty rare -- don't have the stats on that...The biggest warning that comes with lamictal is the possibilty of a potentially deadly side-effect that starts out as a rash. I believe if one gets this rash, the drug is discontinued immediately(!), and it should caught early. If left untreated, it can be fatal, but it is very uncommon. My bad reaction to this drug was sort of hard to describe, but I took my first dose at night and woke up with unbearable head pain and super overly-sensitive hearing. If someone spoke to me in a normal tone of voice (I kept asking my family to whisper) it felt like they were yelling and like having ice-picks stabbing in my ears. It caused involuntary screaming, the pain was so bad, and I went to the ER for opiates. Radically bad, but I've never met anyone who had that particular reaction to the drug. It's so popular know, so don't let this bizarre reaction scare you away -- it's working great for so many! Let us know how you make out & good luck.

Reply Reply