It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
(female)

KathyWlsv HB User
Need some kind of NON Pharmocological mood stabilizer

I have been dx as BiPolar I for the past 30 years, but it is apparent it began at puberty, I am 60.

Luckily I have extremely wide cycles, in some cases as far apart as 5 YEARS for episodes of mania/depression.

However it has recently been determined that my Lamictal is what has caused some severe blood disorders. I am getting transfusions and iron IV infusions, and obviously am not taking the Lamictal. I had been on it for 8 years.

Boy... do I miss it. I am extremely irritable, cranky and getting weepy a lot. This is not acceptable for me. I have 2 small children and they deserve a mom who can talk to them politely at least.

I have been on nearly every mood stabilizer and anti depressant over the last 30 years. But one by one they either were a bad fit immediately or their effectiveness wore off or I developed untennable side effects.

Lamictal caused severe blood disorders, Lithium caused tremors so bad I couldn't feed or dress myself or hold the controls of my car. Depakote, also causes tremors and rash with wheezing and face itching and swelling.

Effexor and cymbalta cause constant nightmares and loss of restorative sleep. I was dreaming nearly every minute I was asleep. As far as the antidepressants, I am unable to take any SSRI's due to side effects, they destroy my thought processes and make me unable to put together a coherent sentence. As well as causing severe tremors.

I don't drink alcohol, or take any street drugs, I have a prescription for trazadone, but even 25 mg knocks me out for 16 hours straight. I was taking Lyrica for peripheral neuropathy, but I developed an alergic reaction, rash, itching, wheezing, blurred vision, so I can't take that either.

I am looking for anything..."natural" (how I HATE that hippy-dippy phrasing.) I've heard fish oil can help. Also of course exercise, BUT I am quite disabled with Rheumatoid arthritis, and walking is very difficult. I do manage to walk about 10 minutes a day. and believe me, for me, that's impressive.

I have made an appointment to see a psychiatrist, but I can't get in for a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
(male)

splityifu HB User
Re: Need some kind of NON Pharmocological mood stabilizer

If you can, go to a Holistic Physician. One with a good reputation. Or a Homeopath. If you have not tried this, it will likely be an eye-opening exp for you. Lots of folks will try to sell you on this or that 'pill' or herb, but a Holistic doc will treat the whole you, not just the obvious symptoms.
Hang in there.

You might try a Chinese herb called Rumania. (Kidney Yin). Not expensive.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

Frenzied HB User
Re: Need some kind of NON Pharmocological mood stabilizer

exercise does wonders for me. Is there a pool nearby that you might be able to do deep water fitness?

Reply Reply