It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

JLBC HB User
Considering lexapro only for MILD bp2 rapid cycling

I am not officially diagnosed with rapid cycling BP2, but I am best friends with 2 psychologists who have helped me get to the bottom of my issues and are speculating/guess that I have this. I agree with them after doing a lot of reading about it. I'm very self aware and I know when I'm having mood swings. For starters, I can say that when I do have "highs", they are extremely mild and even productive. I get motivated to get organized with bills, get a better insurance quote, etc. I don't really get "grandiose" behavior or anything ridiculous...I don't even turn into an insomniac when this is happening. I was thinking of starting with the lowest dose of an anti depressant and see how it goes. I don't have mental health coverage but I have a great OBGYN who would probably prescribe me an antidepressant if I ask her to. NOTE: I am not receiving any meds or professional treatment for BP2. I've never been treated for BP2.

Is this THAT risky to take an AD only? If my hypomania episodes in the past have always been relatively mild, then will the low dose AD induce the same level of it? The reason why I'm considering it, is because lately I just feel straight up "depressed". Nothing crazy or anything. Just lacking some motivation to work out or do anything other than go home, eat dinner, watch TV, and go to bed. Just very "blah" lately and can't snap out of it. I'm holding down a great job, even dealt with the death of a friend recently and helped my husband snap out of his depression. I'm generally a very strong woman with a good head on my shoulders and I seem to have a good grip on myself and my moods. I trust myself to monitor myself if I try this out with the AD and even my friend (the shrink) said I could certainly try it and he'll tell me if I start acting crazy lol

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

WantHelp2beFree HB User
Re: Considering lexapro only for MILD bp2 rapid cycling

It can be very risky to take just an antidepressant. Looking back, I started off similarly to you, just a little bit more productive in my "manic" phases. I had never even recognized any cycling, and neither did my doctor when I went in. When I was started on an anti-depressant for some very mild depression, it sparked some horrible cycling, and some very bad misdiagnosing by the doctors.

After a couple of hospitalizations they finally figured out I was rapid cycling bipolar and the antidepressant itself had caused the increased cycling symptoms and weird impulsivity. We reduced my AD dose, and added mood stabalizers and then I started doing a bit better, although the impulsivity has been really hard to get rid of, so other meds have been necessary.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
(female)

JLBC HB User
Re: Considering lexapro only for MILD bp2 rapid cycling

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I guess I shouldn't risk it after all. I might ditch my regular health coverage for a while and opt for a mental health plan only and start seeing a shrink.

Reply Reply