It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Bipolar Disorder Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

MkrB2 HB User
I need to induce mania

I've read another blog and these were the top 4 suggestions:
1. Anxiety or a stressful situation
2. Lack of sleep
3. A surplus of caffeine
And oddly enough,
4. A cigarette.

First, I've been diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder which is unfortunate, I think because I have longer periods of depression, and by depression I mean debilitating, self-sabotaging depression where my mind is my own worst enemy. These long periods are as you know followed by short periods of hypomania which good or bad I much more prefer. I have stayed in my house in my chair all weekend long, getting up only when I have to pee which I wait to do until the absolute last minute. Yes, I take my meds faithfully. But I absolutely need a manic episode in the worst way. I'm at the point where I'm convinced that's the only possible solution. So, all that being said, I've considered the options above and here are my responses to each.

1. Stress hasn't worked. It's what has caused this depression
2. and 3. Caffeine. I will try both. I will go to bed at my normal time and wake up two hours earlier. I'm on adderall so I'll take a cpl of them and throw some coffee into the mix.
4. Cigarette- ironically this could have been an option but I quit in March and can't stand the taste of it.

I have to go to work tomorrow with in a much better place than I've been all weekend and I truly believe mania, or rather hypo mania is the only solution.

Any other suggested triggers for hypo mania?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: I need to induce mania

Hi,perhaps your medication is causing your lack of mania. That being said I do not think it is a good idea to find relief from your condition by trying to experience symptoms of that same condition. Your medication has the function of evening you out so you do not go through the highs and lows. If you are experiencing debilitating depression then your medication is not doing what it should and you should tell your doctor so that perhaps will adjust or change your medication. OK, your question is how to produce hypo mania, well I do not believe this is possible but if It were I would guess a scenario of playing with puppies and kittens......

Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
(female)

DialM4manic HB User
Re: I need to induce mania

Cutting back on your sleep by two hours would never be enough to induce mania, at least not for me. However, I am BP1, so it may be different for type 1s. Inducing mania is often a temptation for me. However, I've never had luck doing it. I don't think mental illness works that conveniently.

Reply Reply