It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

bm28 HB User
Going Off Birth Control

I am 28 and I am going to stop taking my birth control pills in about two weeks. I have been on them for about 12 years. I was wondering if anyone knows what side affects I may have. Weight gain? Weight loss? Bleeding? etc. Also, I was wondering if my periods will be irregular now. Thanks! Beth

Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: Going Off Birth Control

I got really really bad headaches for 2 weeks. Your periods will probably be similar to how they were before you started the pill. But it might take a while for them to get regular.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

BM28 -

Just wanted to share with you that I am about to do the same. I have been on the pill for about 10 yrs and am going off after this next pack. I was wondering all of the same things. I too have heard that you can expect your periods to go back to how they were - which stinks for me - they are nice and short/light on the pill. I just wanted you to know I am going through the same!

Old 08-30-2004, 02:52 PM   #4

thelms_ HB User

i went off 6 months ago (i was on it for 6 years) and still no period!! my doctor says it can take up to 18 months to return...it has caused my skin to break out (not too bad but enough to annoy me), but other than that i havent noticed anything!

Old 08-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #5

Rosie20 HB User

I've been on the pill for 5 years. Two years ago, I decided to go off of it for a while. Two months later, my face broke out with horrible acne! I never had acne before going on the pill, so I was really surprised to see it develop. I immediately went back on the pill and a few months later, I was all cleared up again! This may not happen for you, but I thought I'd warn you anyway! Good luck...

Old 08-31-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
(female)

bm28 HB User

THANKS to everyone who responded. I'm not ready to have kids yet but in a few years. I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years and we are probably going to get married in the next few years and I want my body ready for pregnancy when it happens. I also heard that it takes a long time for your body to adjust that's why I'm thinking about it early. Also, it's not like if I accidentally got pregnant that I'd be upset or anything!!!!!!! I'm just nervous about stopping them because I don't know what to expect. I haven't had regular periods for a long time; they're so light and always on time being on the pill. Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Kind of off topic and maybe you know all about this already, but you might be interested in reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility while you are off the pill. I couldn't believe I went so long just wondering when my period would show up when it is so easy to predict... And its a good book for avoiding pregnancy and achieving it.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:17 AM   #8

Tinkerbells HB User

I was on the pill for 4 yrs and I got off 6 mths ago.. I lost 10 lbs. That was nice.. But I had my period twice now in 6 mths and i broke out BAD! Back to the pill I go!! Just and FYI--

Old 08-31-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
(female)

bm28 HB User

WOW-everyone is saying that their skin breaks out after stopping! I didn't have acne before I started taking them but neither did some of you. I'm worried about that now; I guess I won't know until I try it. Has anyone here stopped taking it and your skin DIDN'T break out?

Old 08-31-2004, 08:44 AM   #10

kickchick2000 HB User

Hi, I have had a simmilar experinace to those that have posted. I was on the pill for five years and used my last pack in January. I had my last period in Febuary. I went till June, had a period, and well now it's almost September and nothing. I too never had acne until now and it is HORRIBLE!!! As for me back to the pill I go to simply because of my skin.
Alicia

Old 08-31-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

It teaches you all about your cycles, and how your cervical fluid, cervical position, and temperature changes so you can identify ovulation. Then it has rules you can follow to avoid pregnancy (either with a barrier method too or without one) and rules to achieve pregnancy. After I read it I was so excited to know exactly what was happening with my body on any day of the month. And my period is just as predictable as it is with the pill if I make those observations.

Old 08-31-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
(female)

bm28 HB User

How long does it take until your face breaks out after you stop taking it? Reason I'm asking is b/c I have my ten year class reunion next month and I'm thinking maybe I should wait one more month just in case!

Old 08-31-2004, 09:00 AM   #13

atvgirl03 HB User

I just quit taking my patchs and the didnt help me much with my pimples but I hope they dont get worse. How long until your face usually starts to break out?

Old 08-31-2004, 09:16 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

If you end up breaking out and don't want to go back on the pill ask your doc for spironolactone. Its great for hormonal acne!

Old 09-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

ducki979 HB User

Well, maybe i was just lucky...no...i was definitely lucky....I stopped b/c to ttc in may and never had a prob after that. AF was on the nose every month (which was amazing seeing as i went on b/c at 15 for irregular periods and am now 25). I havent broken out once...except for a teenie one on my forehead from wearing a baseball hat for too long in the heat....lol.
I had no weight gain either...not all experiences will be scary and with any luck ...your s wont be that bad either.
g/l when you do decide to ttc!!!

Closed Thread