It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
(female)

mandersBC HB User
Tri Sprintec Birth Control?

Hello,

I was recently switched from Ortho Tricyclen Lo to Tri Sprintec (the generic version of Ortho Tricyclen) due to my insurance coverage. What reactions can I expect?...good, bad?

Cheers!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-08-2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: No surveys. Question rephrased.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
(female)

waterfairy HB User
Re: Tri Sprintec Birth Control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandersBC
Hello,

I was recently switched from Ortho Tricyclen Lo to Tri Sprintec (the generic version of Ortho Tricyclen) due to my insurance coverage. Has anyone here taken Tri Sprintec? If so, what were your reactions...good, bad?

Cheers!
Hey there,

I just thought that I'd write you back since I've been on both Ortho Tricyclen and Tri Sprintec, and for me, I couldn't take the generic, Tri Sprintec. I ended up having a period for two weeks straight while I was on that, so I was switched back to Ortho. But I have quite a few female problems going on, so it could be from that. I hope I didn't scare you, 'cause that wasn't my intent. I hope you have nothing but good luck with your switch! I know how it is with insurance...I myself have none and am trying to deal with a big expence of paying for gynecological procedures...no fun.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #3

imdunn HB User

Hate to say it, but the generic caused me to have a severe allergic reaction - I was itching from the inside out for 3 weeks and had awful hives. (this after only 4 days on it). I had to take prednisone to get rid of the reaction, and that caused ickiness to boot!

I think it may have been the red dye in it.

Hope you have better luck with it!

Old 10-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

animalluvr77 HB User

You know what, I never thought of this but after they came out with the tri sprintec my pharmacisit (sp?) start giving me that instead of my usual ortho tricyclin and now that I think of it after that, that is when my period start acting all wacky. I have been on bc for 8 yrs and have never had any problems never! Until now. I started getting my period during the last week of the hormone pills and it would last until the start of the next new pack of bc pills. That would total up to be almost over 2 weeks!! My periods have never gone over 4 days!! Even when I never took bc!! Then the next month it did the same thing and so one. Now up until I read your post I was thinking it was a number of other things I never thought it could be from the generic version of the ortho tricyclin! I don't mean to scare you, I don't even know if this was all caused by the tri sprintec, but it is just a thought.

Take Care,
Beth

Last edited by animalluvr77; 10-05-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Old 10-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #5

jc1234 HB User

i am on tri sprintec for like 5 months now and i hate it so much. i was on ortho tricylen for a year and a half untill my insurance copmpany pulled this ****. now im so moody i snap at everyone for no reason especially my boyfriend. i cry for no reason lately, and i notice since being on this pull im losing my sex drive on ortho i was always willing to go it never affected me. ortho tricylen i felt like myseld i never was depressed or sad or snapped at nothing.
i have been trying to switch back to ortho but they send me 3 more refills of tri sprintec. i was so ******
im thinking of stoping them all together im just scared to get pregnant i want to but not now. so hope you dont feel like this

Old 10-05-2004, 10:22 AM   #6
(female)

mandersBC HB User

Today was the third day of my first pack of TriSprintec. Nothing unusual seems to be happening...yet. I have been on about 5 other bcp before this one, and I've never had much of a problem with them. My main concern is that it will cause acne flare ups. Ahhhhhh!

Old 10-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
(female)

animalluvr77 HB User

If I can remember correctly I was put on ortho triciclyn because for one reason I got acne very badly, so my gyn. said the ortho triciclyn would help that. So I would think that if they made the tri sprintec a generic version of the ortho triciclyn then wouldn't help with acne also? Just a thought. I'm not sure. I don't know much about the generic form of it. You could always call your pharmacist and ask them. If you don't go to the pharmacy because you have your prescriptions mailed just call a local phamacy and ask to talk to the pharmacist and ask them. They are usually more than happy to answer any questions you have about your meds.

Take Care,
Beth

Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #8

jc1234 HB User

also i first started bc pills cuz i have irrgular periods and i had not bad acne mild like pimples and with ortho it cleard up i never broke out but this not im like in pimple haven i hate it i forgot to mention that!!!

Old 10-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
(female)

mandersBC HB User

If this stuff ends up making my zits worse, it's over! I can deal with a little breakthrough bleeding and some occasional cramping, but if it messes up my skin, I'M SWITCHING...but it'll probably have to be another generic!

Old 10-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #10
(female)

mandersBC HB User

Has anyone else been on Tri Sprintec? I was looking carefully at the amounts of estrogen and progestin in it compared to Ortho Tri Cyclen (the product Tri Sprintec is a generic of) and it contains slightly more progestin. I just took my 6th pill...I have broken out slightly, but that could be due to anything....

Old 10-08-2004, 02:36 PM   #11

jc1234 HB User

Finally I Got My Insurnace Company To Give Me Ortho So Im Hoping This Month Goes Fast And I Can Be My Normal Self Again And Have Clear Skin. Lol
I Have To Pay More Money But Who Cares Il Deal With It

Old 10-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #12
(female)

mandersBC HB User

I'm happy for you...I really can't afford more than what I pay right now, even for the Tri Sprintec. I took my 6th pill of it today, and I am wondering if it makes me a little nauseous - I have had a very low appetite lately. Otherwise, it doesn't appear to be doing anything crazy to my skin....

Old 10-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #13

matty25 HB User

I had been on it for 6 months and had no problems. The only thing different I experienced with it was weight loss. I know it is rare but I lost 25lbs while on it. I also was on ortho and was switched. I hope all works out for you.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
(female)

Audibrook HB User
Question Re: Tri Sprintec Birth Control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalluvr77
If I can remember correctly I was put on ortho triciclyn because for one reason I got acne very badly, so my gyn. said the ortho triciclyn would help that. So I would think that if they made the tri sprintec a generic version of the ortho triciclyn then wouldn't help with acne also? Just a thought. I'm not sure. I don't know much about the generic form of it. You could always call your pharmacist and ask them. If you don't go to the pharmacy because you have your prescriptions mailed just call a local phamacy and ask to talk to the pharmacist and ask them. They are usually more than happy to answer any questions you have about your meds.

Take Care,
Beth
I am switching from ortho-tri cyclen lo to the Tri - Sprintec. My pharmacy also gave me the generic brand. Do you think there is a difference between Ortho-tri cyclen and Tri - Sprintec?

Old 01-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
(female)

Audibrook HB User
Question Re: Tri Sprintec Birth Control?

I just want to know if anyone knows if there is a difference between Ortho Tri Cyclen and Tri - Sprinctec and if they would have different effects on acne

Closed Thread