It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #1

jessuga HB User
Has anyone heard good/bad about Seasonale?

I am pretty sure that it is called Seasonale. It is supposed to only allow you to get your period 4 times a year. I have previously been on BC for about 3 years and I stopped for about 7 months. I just recently tried to start Ortho Cyclen again and found I had no sex drive and was crabby towards my boyfriend. I do not remember experiencing these feelings before so stopped taking it immediately. I have only seen ads for Seasonale and am worried that only getting my period four times might hurt my body. Also wondering what kind of hormone levels it has.

If anyone has heard anything, please let me know.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User
Re: Has anyone heard good/bad about Seasonale?

Well, you have to balance the risks and benefits. Did you know the pill can mess with your insulin level too? I'd have the doc keep a close eye on you. With the smoking and family history I'd say you are definitely at an increased risk of side effects

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

AmandaH HB User

I took Seasonale for about 6 months and did not like it. I was having huge amounts of breakthrough bleeding - like 4 weeks straight - and I gave my body 2 cycles to get used to it. It just wasn't for me.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

delciana HB User

I took seasonale for about 4 months and I couldn't take it anymore. Besides the breakthrough bleeding that lasted fo a few weeks each month. I was also really really evil most of the time. Another thing is it made my leg from my hip to my knee go numb. Not just numb but the pins and needles feeling that you get when your foot is waking up, but all the time in my leg. I finally figured out that it started around the time I started seasonale called my doc to complain and she thought I was nutty. She did change me and within 2 days the tingling stopped. Everyone is different but that is my story!

Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
(female)

leslie0784 HB User

I've been on Seasonale for 11 months and for the most part it's been nothing but problems. I bleed for six weeks, have awful cramps, and I've gained 20 pounds even though my eating habits are better than ever and I exercise all the time. I bleed the entire second pack and then two weeks the third pack. I'm currently looking for another bc.

Old 11-23-2004, 10:06 PM   #6
Inactive

Dream0n83 HB User

I've been on seasonal for almost a year now. I am in the middle of my 3rd packet. (if you didnt know you get all 3 months worth in one packet).

I too started B/C to limit my cramps I would get them god awful! They have cut down quite a bit. I have been on other b/c b4 this that helped cramps as well.

As for seasonal I havent had the "break through" bleeding everyone is talking about. What I have had is during the 2nd packet, in the middle of it usually, I have blotting, basically a lite period for 3 or 4 days. then I am good till my actual period at the end of the 3rd packet.

i am in the middle of a packet right now and so far no blotting so im thinking my body may be adjusted. I will know 100% at the end of next week!

Good luck! Hope i helped!

Old 12-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
(female)

Buszhy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by delciana
I took seasonale for about 4 months and I couldn't take it anymore. Besides the breakthrough bleeding that lasted fo a few weeks each month. I was also really really evil most of the time. Another thing is it made my leg from my hip to my knee go numb. Not just numb but the pins and needles feeling that you get when your foot is waking up, but all the time in my leg. I finally figured out that it started around the time I started seasonale called my doc to complain and she thought I was nutty. She did change me and within 2 days the tingling stopped. Everyone is different but that is my story!
Delciana:

Thanks for posting what happened to you on Seasonale, i'
ve currently been on it for 3 weeks now and 1 week after starting it I experienced the leg numbness too, from my hip to the knee, i contacted my Dr. and she told me to stop it right away, i also had some shortness of breath which seems to have stopped, but the numbness is still here. The Dr. told me to let a day or 2 pass after i stop and see if the symptoms stop, if not she advised me to go the the ER and get checked out. But i'm hoping it disappears as yours did. So thanks for your post, i feel better that i'm not the only one that has experienced this odd side effect.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
(female)

emethe HB User

i have been on it for almost 6 months and i have only had one problem. They say that you will have a lot of break through bleeding, and that is normal your body is going through a lot. You are used to having your peroid every month and now your trying to tell your body that it is only going to have it once every 3 months. I have noticed that my cramps and bleeding isn't that bad. I though that it was going to be a lot worse. Overall i have not had any problems that would make me want to change it. It is rather expensive though. I pay 112 for mine and that is the cheep end!!!Good luck with it though.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
(female)

Wyndi HB User

I'm switching from Seasonale to Zovia now. I've been on Seasonale for about 9 months now and I had absolutely NO breakthrough bleeding. But, I have horrible skin problems because of the pill. I've tried many different ones in the past and this is the first to cause acne and bad skin. It's so bad that I have to switch. It's just not worth it to me anymore. I'm going to take Zovia in the same manner as Seasonale though, 3 months without a break. Let's hope it works! Have any of you had skin problems due to Seasonale??

Old 12-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #10

Gtpchic31 HB User

im on it and love it, its a wonderful thing to ony have a period every 3 months

Old 01-04-2005, 11:11 PM   #11
(female)

canadiangirl25 HB User

I actually take minovral 21. my doc prescribes me to take 84 pills in a row and then skip a week and then repeat the cycle. I only get my period 4 times a year.it is ligher and less cramping too. i also never get any spotting. it is fantastic.if i could never get my period ever again as long as I live i would be the happiest person alive!!! before i took the pill, I would have my period for 3 weeks straight and then quit for a week and get it again for 3 weeks. It caused me to get iron deficiency anemia. Anyway the doc says that anyone can do this as long as it is the type of pill that has the same hormonal dose each day as opposed to the cycle pills like triphasil. you can also use this method to skip a period if you are on vacation.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #12

Cyndee HB User

I was on Seasonale for 6 months. I am switching to Loestrin this week. At first, I loved Seasonale. I did experience some breakthrough bleeding the last 3 weeks of each pack, which was annoying. Also, I gained gained gained weight. Generally, I felt kind of "unhealthy" on this pill. Cyndee

Old 01-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #13

verylongday HB User

I dont take seasonale but am on Ovcon 35. I take three packs worth of the hormone pills straight thru, and skip the placebos till the last pack. This gives me about 4 periods a year. I tried alot of other pills prior to this and always had problems with the progestin in them. My current set up (which, with the way my doc prescribes it, actually costs me less than buying one pack at a time), gives me no spotting, no cramps, no PMS (I used to go off the deep end mentally once a month), and my periods are very light. Not saying it'll work for everyone, but I am very fond of it myself ;-)

Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #14

verylongday HB User

I dont take seasonale but am on Ovcon 35. I take three packs worth of the hormone pills straight thru, and skip the placebos till the last pack. This gives me about 4 periods a year. I tried alot of other pills prior to this and always had problems with the progestin in them. My current set up (which, with the way my doc prescribes it, actually costs me less than buying one pack at a time), gives me no spotting, no cramps, no PMS (I used to go off the deep end mentally once a month), and my periods are very light. Not saying it'll work for everyone, but I am very fond of it myself ;-)

I will note that I have a friend on Seasonal who swears by it!

Old 04-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #15
(female)

Jen24 HB User

Seasonale is awful! I gained 40-50 pounds in one year and have no sex drive at all! I hate it!!!!

Closed Thread