It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 06:40 AM   #1

kpmonarch HB User
Switching From Yasmin to Estrostep

Hello Everyone,

For almost two years I have been on Yasmin and it was wonderful. The past few months have gotten bad, I started to breakout again, painful cramping, bloat, ect. Last night I had my yearly exam and my obgyn told me that I was becoming resistant to the bcp. He said that after a while the liver gets used to breaking down the same hormone and becomes less effective, some woman even get pregnant!!!! So he switched me to Estrostep Fe since he has had alot of patients like it and have good sucess with it. My question is how has others done on it with weight gain, acne, ect. I usually just breakout around my period, but he said that this one will help. I don't want to gain weight and never have on any other pills, how is this one with that?

Thanks in advance.

Ckp

Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Re: Switching From Yasmin to Estrostep

Well, I wish I had more info for ya but I can just say that I get bad periods and always break out just before my period on Yasmin!! I have been on it almost 1 year, it will be, this Jan. But I am thinking of quiting entirely. Why is Estrostep better than Yasmin, did your doctor say? Sorry I don't have more info for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #3

kpmonarch HB User

He just told me that since my body was used to the hormones in the Yasmin that it would be better to switch to a different type of hormone. Aslo the Estrostep is FDA approved for treating acne while Yasmin I believe is not. I am worried about the switch. Today is my first day on Estrostep and I am totally sick to my stomach. Well three month trial to find out for sure. Please if anyone has had any experience good or bad with Estrostep please let me know.

Thanks,

Christine

Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

If Estrostep doesn't work for you (which I hope it does) you might ask for Desogen. My body couldn't handle Yasmin so my doc felt like this was the second best choice for skin. The only thing I don't like about it is it has a very slight increase in the risk of blood clots.

Old 10-19-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Inactive

littlegreek25 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Switching From Yasmin to Estrostep

I was on Estrostep for about four months and I loved it. I didn't gain any weight and it cleared up my skin completely. I only got off it because I'm switching to Yasmin next month. I wanted to try Yasmin because I get really bloated before my period, and I had heard Yasmin helps with that. I have heard that for people who get nauseous with the pill that you should take it right before you go to bed, that way you can sleep through the worst of the nausea. Good luck with the Estrostep and wish me luck with Yasmin!

Amy

Old 10-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #6

kermitjmb HB User
Arrow Re: Switching From Yasmin to Estrostep

I just started taking Yasmin. I am only on day 2.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #7

itskiwi HB User

I just started Yasmine too... I'm on day 3. I was REALLY nauseous the first couple of days. Thought I was getting the flu and finally realized I HAVE to eat when I take the durn thing. Still am queezy, though its not as bad now. (And the pills are soooo much bigger than what I'm used to! Very weird.)

I haven't been able to find much data about "getting used to" pills, so far. :P

Old 10-20-2004, 12:28 PM   #8

kermitjmb HB User
Arrow Re: Switching From Yasmin to Estrostep

I take mine at bed time, I have never felt nauseous. You may want to try that. So far so good for me!

Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #9

-T- HB User

I've just started taking yasmin to. Im on day 4. They give me a huge headache with sharp pains just before Im due to take the pill. Beats having an alarm ringing to let you know its time, lol.

Im wondering though - when you first start taking yasmin can they make your period stop? I mean for example, I was told to take mine as soon as I bleed. So I did. Then after 4 hours of spotting it stopped. Then the next day I had 2 hours worth or red bleeding and nothing since. Hardly a period, lol. Anyone else had this?

P.S Theres a chance I might be pregnant. Could this be why the above happened?

Old 10-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

Sleeping through the nausea is good advice.
That's what I had to do when I was put on the pill after Depo. It really helped a lot.
Nodi

Old 10-24-2004, 08:21 AM   #11

kermitjmb HB User
Post Re: Switching From Yasmin to Estrostep

When I started taking Yasmin I was bleeding and within 2 days it stopped. To the best of my knowledge taking a bcp will make you stop having your period.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #12

-T- HB User

Really? Omg. I was given BCP - Yasmin to regulate my periods.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #13
(female)

geenafeena HB User

ckp - i was also considering switching from yasmin to estrostep due to loss of sex drive. after reading these boards, not so sure now. was wondering how you are doing on estrostep. my period has always been very light on yasmin so i hope that is not effected.
thanks!
{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-01-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Read post guide lines. No off board contact.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
(female)

danakscully64 HB User

I was on Yasmin from April 2005 - November 2005. I had to switch pills because the Yasmin killed my sex drive, gave me extreme stomach aches, and made me depressed. I switched to Estrostep last month and within the first week, I was already back to normal and felt GREAT. I never gained weight on Yasmin or had ache to begin with, so not much changed when I started the pill. Estrostep has been wonderful so far. I got a little bit sick (dizzy) at the beginning of my first pack, but that's completely normal. I started my second pack today and I'm very happy. The only complaint that I would have would be that my last period was irregular (almost non-existent).

~Heather

Last edited by danakscully64; 01-02-2006 at 10:56 AM.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #15
(female)

serenity26 HB User

I too had no sex drive with Yasmin and was depressed and overly emotional. I switched to estrostep a month ago and overall its seems okay. The symptoms are slowly starting to abate. My sex drive is starting to come back. The only day that I was terribly emotional was the day before my period. At least it wasn't constantly like on Yasmin. No weight gain on either.

Closed Thread