It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #1

sammy2005 HB User
Can Depo make you infertile?

I took Depo for one year, three years ago. Ever since I got off of it, I have not been able to ovulate on my own, without the aide of birthcontrol pills. Has anyone else heard of this or experianced this?

Old 11-07-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
Re: Can Depo make you infertile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2005
I took Depo for one year, three years ago. Ever since I got off of it, I have not been able to ovulate on my own, without the aide of birthcontrol pills. Has anyone else heard of this or experianced this?
Story of my life!!!! I was on Depo for 2 years. It took me 2.5 years to conceive my son (with the help of Clomid). I have been off of the shot for years now (8 years) and my body is still so screwed up. I have since been diagnosed with PCOS. None of my problems existed prior to Depo. I had 2 pregnancys before Depo, very regular periods.........then after Depo, I experience no periods, infertility.......among other problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

healthseeker HB User

I have never taken Depo, but wanted to tell you to post this on the infertilty boards. I have read many posts about it in there and that would be the best place for you to get more info on it. Like the other poster said, she got pg with help - so DO NOT give up! There is always hope!!!

Old 11-09-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I have been on depo for over ten years and still ovulate. Now, I have not tried to get pregnant and don't know if my hubby and I will ever try. I have asked many drs about this and all of them say the same thing, that it may take a bit longer for the body to return to it's normal function. You have to remember that every single person is different, as well as their bodies. I have my period every time I have stopped depo (two times once b/c I missed with broken leg and other time had no insurance for nine months). Every time I had normal periods that were exactly the same as mine were before I started depo. I have never had the poor side effects of depo either. So, it doesn't matter what anyone else says or believes. It all depends on YOU and if you are willing to take the risk that you may not be able to get pregnant as easily as you might if you never took depo. ALSO remember that age and many other factors can affect the ability to become pregnant. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
Inactive

whatamIdoing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2005
I agree that you might get more useful responses on the Infertility board, but I wanted to point out that if you're not ovulating without BCPs, then you're not ovulating at all. BCPs prevent ovulation.

(I assume that what you really mean is that you haven't had a period without BCPs, which is different.)

Old 11-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cocoeyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatamIdoing
I agree that you might get more useful responses on the Infertility board, but I wanted to point out that if you're not ovulating without BCPs, then you're not ovulating at all. BCPs prevent ovulation.

(I assume that what you really mean is that you haven't had a period without BCPs, which is different.)

I guess it all depends on how your cycle was before you started Depo... But they do say that it does take almost 18-months to conceive again.

I was on the Depo and only took two shots of it and stopped. It took almost 6-months for me to get my period back and that was with the help of the Birth control pill. I only took it for one month and started getting my periods back again on my own.

I think it also depends on how long you've been on Depo.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

I just had to pipe up a bit. I had two shots of Depo after my first son was born in 1996. I had horrible side effects while on it ranging from horrible weight gain,constant bleeding,the worst migraines and so on. Well after my third shot was due my period returned without a hitch. Dh and I decided that I wouldnt go on any other birth control and let things happen however they wanted. I was 22 and otherwise healthy. Most hte side effects went away within a couple of months of not getting the third shot. That is expect infertility. I had to deal with that for several years after. I finally had what is termed a spontaneous pregnancy on a break from fertility treatments. Every doctor I saw during the time we were trying todl me I wasnt the first they had seen thanks to Depo and I wouldnt be the last.
For some women it can cause serious problems with fertility. Others are lucky and have no problems but there are a large number that do have problems.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread