It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User
New to board..Need some help please!!

Hi..Im 21 years old..I was on Nordette 28 for the past 2 years. Absolutely no side effects (except morning sickness and minor breakout the first 3 months that I took it) (I had mild acne throughout my younger teenage years but had almost no breakouts while on Nordette.) My insurance company switched me to generic, Levora.. And my skin started..slowly but surely, to break out on my chin. (the only place I broke out before taking bcp..in cystic type acne..which ive been told numerous times is hormonally induced.)
I stopped taking it and this will be my 3rd month without it. (and slowly but surely the breakouts seem less aggrivated and harsh but still there) I went to the gyno and she gave me Estrostep Fe. I am having major reservations about taking something different than Nordette (Im kicking myself now for not just asking for it!) She said Estrostep will help with acne. Ive been reading alot of negetive things about it and conflicting information in general.
So- If anyone could help me out, i would be so appreciative. I will be starting a pack of pills this coming Sunday.. So I need to either take the sample she gave me, or call and get Nordette.
I read that levorgestral (sp?) is the most androgenic type of pill (which nordette is), which in turn, is most acne causing. Yet- Ive heard nothing from anyone saying that it broke them out badly..where I have read that Estrostep has.. How is it that Nordette doesnt seem to cause major acne, where Estrostep (which is intended for acne helping qualities...) has? Some websites even listed Estrostep as a pill to avoid for helping acne!!!
SO my major question/dilemma is.. What pill would you personally take? Do you think my body grew tired of the levorgestral and my hormonal acne came back.. Do you think it was just the generic pill that didnt agree with me and I should try Nordette again? Or would Estrostep Fe be a good pill to take?
Its really ruining my social life and I need to fix this problem. Thank you so much for the help anyone can provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

uglynow HB User
Lightbulb Re: New to board..Need some help please!!

That's very strange. I've been on Nordette (I've never known anyone else on it!! so it's nice to hear) for a looong time. But as you, my insurance changed to Levora. I didn't think much of it, since it's the same formula but now that you mention it - I also had a major acne break out. The dermatologist said it was hormonal changes and sometimes it sticks around and others you're stuck with it.
If the Nordette was working out fine for you, I would just call your dr. and let her know the problems you're having with the generic and have her call in a prescription for Nordette. I think the insurance still covers it, but you just pay a little more.
I can't believe I never thought about it before! I've been having skin problems for about 2-3yrs now and until I read your post I didn't realize it MAY be the switch from brand to generic. That is so odd. I wonder what Nordette has or doesn't have in comparison to Levora....
Well, I don't know if I helped at all but I hope your Dr. helps you out! (I've had dr.'s try and switch my pills and I really don't want to - I've never ever had an issue with Nordette and so many people are always complaining about their different brands of pills that I'm afraid to even try)

Good luck and keep us posted!! (and thanks for the "enlightment" - I will let you know if I notice any difference in my skin by insisting on brand vs. generic)

Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User
Re: New to board..Need some help please!!

I never see people on Nordette either! I was so delighted to see a response from someone on it. Was your skin clear on Nordette?
Levora definately has something in it that affected my skin. I used to get compliments on my skin, even in the bad lighting at the mall..and now..I hide!
I would try to contact your Dr and see what he/she says about you switching back!
I never had any negetive side effects with Nordette.. It just seems safe to me. (Like you said..Im afraid to switch.) Even though the Estrostep box says "with acne indication" ...my gut is telling me to go back on Nordette.
Tri-phasic pills kind of scare me..I dont want to be all over the place emotionally. I also heard that when the pill increases to 35 mg the week before your period..some people get terrible breakouts. On nordette..I didnt even break out before or after my period. On levora..it was like clockwork.. about 3 days AFTER my period..Id get a couple cystic acne breakouts.
But anyways.. I just wanted to see different people's experiences with each pill. Ive read so many different things about Estrostep.. (Decreased sex drive, acne, bloating, fatigue..etc).. I had nothing on Nordette.
Im so glad that you read my post and replied!!! Keep me posted and we can try to figure this Levora/Nordette mystery out!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
(female)

uglynow HB User

wow! that was quick!
Maybe we hold the secret to the best pill ever made!
I've asked my doctor if Levora is the same and she said supposedly yes. I will call them and tell them to switch me back to brand (it sucks 'cos it will be more expensive, but it's worth the try)
I've always had perfect skin (not to sound conceited) and like you I got a lot of compliments on it. I really thought the change was more because of my age (it started happening after I turned 28 and everyone said it was like a "welcome to old-haggardness" type thing) But I'm so intrigued now, because that's around the time that I went to the pharmacy to pick up my Nordette and freaked out when I saw the pink box instead. The pharmacist said "oh it's just the generic version, but don't worry it's the same formula - we can switch it back if you want, but it'll cost you more"...
and my skin has been on and off ever since (it was really really bad the first year).

Thanks so much for responding too! and I will definitely repost when I have some results (hopefully!) I really think that maybe even by law they would have to grant you the pill that wasn't creating problems for you. If I were you I would call the Insurance co. and your dr. and tell them that generic isn't working for you and you don't want to screw up your system by being a guinea pig with all these pills.

Good Luck and we'll keep posted!

Old 12-20-2004, 01:07 PM   #5

Tigress223 HB User

Hi Everyone,

Levora isn't actually a generic it's a different brand of the same BCP at Nordette. So is Levlen.

I took Levlen 28 for 10 years. My skin was great but my sex drive wasn't. Due to insurance the company substitued Levora for Levlen. The ACTIVE ingredients are THE SAME but I started breaking out again. My sex drive went up and so did my blood pressure.

Whether the drug is a generic or a different brand/manufacturer the active ingredients will be the same. The difference comes in the fillers which can make a drug cheaper to make. Fillers are not supposed to make a difference but they do, no matter what the drug companies try to tell you. If you find something that works well for you and can afford it, stick with it. If you had good luck with Nordette and experienced probs with Levora I'd ask for Nordette.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User

Oh ok..See I was thinking it was the generic form but its actually, in some way, a totally different pill? Yeah the actives are the same, but it seems everyone reacted badly to it...So its obviously much different. (thanks for pointing out that its not generic...I didnt know that.)
Anyway.. I am thinking of going back on Nordette. I just have a gut feeling that it was what worked for me. I dont want to go trying different pills and screwing my system up worse and worse.
I never was asked if Levora was ok... And that kind of ticks me off because look what it did, and I didnt even have a choice in the matter. I felt totally different on it as well as looked (skin wise). My skin became alot oilier...alot more broken out, and I felt very sluggish..i had decrease in appetite (which is NOT good because im a skinny girl and need all my appetite!!) and I felt very introverted and depressive. On Nordette I felt great.
So weird! Anyways- Keep me posted. [ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

Last edited by moderator2; 12-20-2004 at 02:04 PM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
(female)

uglynow HB User

Thanks Tigress!
That's a kicker, for the pharmacist to say that Levora is a generic form of Nordette...what a dumb.a..!
I wonder why it's so much cheaper then..must be some cheapo ingredients. Thanks for the info. Now I can really get back on my Nordette with no BS information from my pharmacist!
We should ALWAYS have a choice on what we put in our bodies. I'm so sick of Insurance companies and doctors pushing their own agenda on us. I've heard that Drs. get royalties or comission $$ from different companies when they push their new drugs, that's why if your gyn or any Dr. tries to change your pills or push something new on you, when there's no feasable reason for it, I would seriously question it, and call them out on it. They're supposed to be Doctors not sales people.
Sorry for venting, just had to add my 2cents.
Thanks again, and I will keep you posted on my results if I see any. You do the same.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #8

Tigress223 HB User

Well, it's supposed to be the same pill. The active ingredients are the same. You can have many manufacturers make the "same" pill. (ie-same active ingredients)

Once the patent on a name brand expires other companies are free to make the drug. This means other pharmaceutical companies as well as generic houses. What they can't do is duplicate the inactive ingredients (fillers) otherwise they couldn't make them any cheaper so there wouldn't be any reason to switch from the name brand. So they use different fillers which everyone say doesn't make a difference. They're inactive. But fillers do make a difference. I have seen this in myself and many others.

For me I actually liked the Levora better than the Levlen. (Except for the skin issue) But I had acne before starting Levlen so when I switched to Levora it was more like things went back to normal for me. My sex drive went back up. I got high blood pressure which runs in my family anyway and got my acne back. After 4 years on Levora and having to start taking some other meds in the meantime I just wanted to be done with the pill and I got an IUD instead.

All that to say they are technically the same pill. It's not like going from Nordette to Ortho Tri Cyclen or Alesse or Yasmin. Going from Nordette to Levlen or Levora, or Porshe (sp?) which I think IS an actual generic, should be like taking Nordette. Many people won't notice a difference but because of the difference in fillers many people do notice a difference. It could be the fillers in Levora effect the skin in a way the fillers in Nordette and Levlen don't...

Last edited by Tigress223; 12-20-2004 at 02:40 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #9

Tigress223 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglynow
Thanks Tigress!
That's a kicker, for the pharmacist to say that Levora is a generic form of Nordette...what a dumb.a..!
I wonder why it's so much cheaper then..must be some cheapo ingredients. Thanks for the info. Now I can really get back on my Nordette with no BS information from my pharmacist!
We should ALWAYS have a choice on what we put in our bodies. I'm so sick of Insurance companies and doctors pushing their own agenda on us. I've heard that Drs. get royalties or comission $$ from different companies when they push their new drugs, that's why if your gyn or any Dr. tries to change your pills or push something new on you, when there's no feasable reason for it, I would seriously question it, and call them out on it. They're supposed to be Doctors not sales people.
Sorry for venting, just had to add my 2cents.
Thanks again, and I will keep you posted on my results if I see any. You do the same.
At first I didn't know Levlen or Levora were brand names either. I started out with Levlen and when the insurance co. sent me Levora and I noticed the change I asked my GYN about it. She's the one who told me Levora wasn't a generic, it was a different brand of Levlen. My insurance company sent me Levora as a generic substitute for Levlen. I never even heard of Nordette. They were substituting Levora as a generic for the name brand Levlen because Levora is cheaper then Leven. I think anything that's cheaper than the original is called generic so as not to "confuse" us "laypeople". Thank God my GYN is straightforward with me.

Last edited by Tigress223; 12-20-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
(female)

uglynow HB User
Thumbs up Re: New to board..Need some help please!!

Hi again,
I wanted to let you know that I called my pharmacy directly and asked if they could switch me from Levora to Nordette, they checked to make sure the insurance covered it and switched it!(just costs $10 more) The pharmacist said Levora is a generic version of Nordette
I guess if it wasn't generic it wouldn't be possible for the Pharmacist to switch it without Dr. approval. Either way I'm happy I didn't have to go through the Dr. to do this. I hope you're doing well with the Estrostep!

Last edited by uglynow; 12-28-2004 at 02:12 PM.

Old 12-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User

So are you getting Nordette?? I hope so..that pill was great!
Anyway.. Well I am on my 3rd day of Estrostep. So far- everything is ok. But its also on the lowest estrogen step..next week it goes up to 30 mg and then 35 the following week..so thats what worries me.. I bet ill be sick and all of that w/ it.. I hope not, but I havent had any nausea yet.
keep me posted!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #12
(female)

uglynow HB User

Yes! I am getting Nordette - I started the pack on Sunday, so now I'll just have to wait and see...
The pharmacist switched it because my insurance covers it, it will just cost me a bit more but I'm willing to try.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
(female)

uglynow HB User

Hi,
just a quick "blast from the past" - I've been taking Nordette for about 3 months now, and I have seen a major difference in my skin!
So I guess it was the junk in Levora making me break out. How strange, I wonder what kind of crappy fillers they use.
Anyway, I had a bit of trouble when my company changed Insurance coverage - the new insurance made me get my prescriptions through their mail order system, otherwise they wouldn't cover the pills (I hate insurance companies), they messed up and sent me Levora instead of Nordette. They made it pretty much impossible for me to send back the Levora and replace it with Nordette, so I tucked my tail in and just took the Levora (hopefully they will get the next shipment correct!)
The point is that within 2 weeks my face was itching again and started getting those bumps and acne. So I can't wait for the three packs to be over so that I can get back to Nordette, cos this is driving me nuts.
Just wanted to give you an update!
hope everyone is doing well.
Cheers!

Old 04-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
(female)

JuiciCouture HB User

OH wow, I did a board search to see if you had posted anything about Nordette..and sure enough, you did!

OK..My update on Estrostep.. Well, I'm on it for 5 months now (technically 4 and a half, as I'm in the middle of my 5th pack) I am still breaking out, and had to actually get an antibiotic because it got so bad. I also started on Retin-a Micro. So, now my skin is improved but I have no idea what is actually improving it.

Do you really see a difference in your skin on Nordette, or do you think it is just a coincidence? I dont know if I should switch back to it, and see if it clears me up again. I loved that pill, though- But Estrostep isnt bad either. Im in a dilemma! I actually almost took Accutane because my skin got SO BAD. I'm getting cysts on my chin still...but not 7 at a time, like I was a few months ago. Anyway... I hope you are doing well. Let me know!

Old 04-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #15
(female)

uglynow HB User

I'm glad you checked!
I'm so sorry you're still experiencing problems. I can't really say if it's the Nordette, it can also be a hormonal change or something funky like that. However, I do know that for me - taking the Levora after Nordette I noticed within 2 weeks my skin itchy again and a few bumps, I can't wait till it runs out and I can go back to my Nordette. Who knows, maybe I'm crazy and it's all in my head.
But, if you're experiencing worse acne now, it could very well be the pill - although I'm not sure how long you're supposed to wait for all the hormones to readjust (if they're different).
I hope it gets better and try to not take Accutane! (I've read so much negative stuff about it) Be gentle to your skin, perhaps you've been using a cleanser or moisturizer that doesn't agree?
Keep us informed! And I'll do the same. Good luck!

Closed Thread