It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User
Question Is something wrong with my IUD???

I got an IUD placed about five months ago, two months after giving birth to my daughter. I am breastfeeding her, so I didnt have a period until three to four months after delivering. When I finally got my period, I regreted getting the copper IUD because my period was full of cramps and I soaked through tampons and pads just about an hour at a time, and this would last for about a week....when normally, I would never have cramps at all and my period ended in three days flat.
Today, I started having this really bad cramp in the lower right side of my abdomin. It was hurting so bad that I had trouble breathing...like I was about to cry. It went away afterwards, but after nursing my daughter, it came back.
The reason why I am concerned is because I know that breastfeeding causes uterine contractions, and I haven't been having any pains until now. Could there be something wrong with my IUD? Could it be expelling or lodging into my uterus??? Maybe I'm over reacting, but the pain is so bad that I had to be concerned about it.
Baby Girl born June 4th @ 9:41pm

Old 01-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #2

mandeline04 HB User
Re: Is something wrong with my IUD???

I don't have an IUD but i have done a lot of research on them & talking to several people that have them just to see their reactions to it & how they like it. All i know is that an IUD somehow aggravates the lining of your uterus & that is what keeps you from getting pregnant with it. It seems to me that it would cause more cramping, & i have also heard several people say they had bad cramping the first few months after getting one. I'd say the best thing to do is just talk to your gyno about it, and if he says its normal get some meds for the pain, or take something like ibuprofen daily and see if it helps! Best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
(female)

contagiousone HB User

Hi. I have had an IUD for about 4 months. I never have had the first problem and I haven't had a period in 3 months! My sister-in-law has a copper IUD and has all the problems you are describing. I have seen her double over in pain from cramps. She has really had a hard time with hers. And when she has her period (which is every other week), it is TERRIBLE. I feel so sorry for her! But, before I got mine, I talked to my Dr. and told him about the side affects my s-i-l was having and that if it was gonna be that way that I definitely didn't want one! Come to find out, her IUD is copper! The ones out now (like mine) are not. The copper is what's causing the problems! If I were you I would run, not walk, to my dr. and have him swap them! There's not sense in living in pain when you don't have to!! Good luck!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Wow, thanks. The reason I wanted the copper IUD is because the other one has hormones in it, and after loosing half of my hair during pregnancy, I was afraid of tampering with my hormonal balance again. I really have been thinking about going to get this thing REMOVED because its not like I'm having sex or planning to have sex anyway. I don't think that my insurance will cover removing this one and replacing it with the more more expensive, hormonal one....it's government assistance. But since I'm having so much trouble with this one, I should be able to get it taken out. If I need it in the future, I may have to go under my parents insurance to get it.

I'm going to a GYN tomorrow, so I will talk to her about this issue. It may be in my best interests to get this IUD out now. I just hope I return to normal when I do.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #5
(female)

jenanoelle HB User

If it helps, with the hormonal IUD, the amount of progestin are apparently *very* small, and don't affect many people.. I think it's called "Mirena", and it's quite popular. good luck!

Old 01-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Platinum33,

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your IUD. I have had my Paragard for 18 months, and I suffer from the same unpleasant side effects as you. It is true that you get more used to having it after about 6 months or so.

The reason that you are noticing cramping on one side may be due to ovulation. Since insertion, I get cramps from the side that I ovulate on with some bleeding. I continue to have mild cramping here and there until my period finally comes, and with that cramps so fierce I push (so this is what very mild contractions feel like !)

I too bleed like there'll be no tomorrow, sometimes for 9 days, although it doesn't seem quite as severe if I am eating vegetarian with a lot of whole grain fiber.

Immediately following my insertion and for three days afterward I was in so much pain that I was sick and would not (could not) leave my bed. So much pain is considered unusual and is grounds for checking placement of the IUD by ultrasound.

It could be that you are just feeling the effects of the insertion now since your periods are coming back and your horomonal fluctuations are coming closer to being normal postpartum. Even though the copper IUD does not contain horomones, it can still cause an upset until your body gets used to it.

Check the strings to see if they are in place as usual, they can also be an indicator of IUD placement.

I hope every thing works out for you, good luck.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

I checked the strings, and as far as I can tell, they are still at the same length as before. I STILL have NOT gotten my period yet, just a lot of cramping and spotting. I picked up a stronger absorbancy tampon to see it it would help with the frequent, hourly changes I was dealing with before....I used to be just fine with the regular absorbancy, so I moved up to super.....still waiting to use them.

I understand what you are talking about when you mentioned that my body has probably not adjusted to its post partum state, let alone the foreign IUD, and that may be what is contributing to a lot of the pain....but I seriously think that I am going to get this removed after this period ends, if it ever begins, that is! I'm not too worried about this decision because I have been abstinent for over a year now, and sex is not in my plans for a long time, neither is a bf or dh, LOL. So I think that getting it removed will be my best bet.... If I chose to go on birth control later on, maybe I'll try Mirena instead...I don't know.

But I believe that I let my doctors, nurses, and counselors pump my head up too much about REALLY REALLY NEEEEEEDING to go on bc. As if they did not believe that I would be able to remain from having sex and being more "responsible". But oh well, you live you learn....and I think I learned here that Paragard is not for me, LOL.

Signed:
True Wimp When It Comes To Pain

Old 01-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Hey Plat, your Dr's may have had a point in trying to educate you about BC, but that is no reason to talk you into getting an IUD, an any other type of birth control that you may be uncomfortable with.

Most importantly you should follow your gut instinct when it comes to stuff like this. Birth control is very personal, and you know your body better than anyone else. If it's any consolation, I just had my Paragard removed a couple days ago. The piercing gut wrenching cramps were nothing that naproxen and a heating pad wouldn't take care of, but the amount of blood I've been losing has really been taking a physical toll on me, the fatigue lingers a week after my period is gone. And if I can avoid it, I would rather not take meds. I may try the Mirena after (if) I have kids, right now it is too much of a distraction.

The Dr. removing my IUD was very surprised I did not have a Mirena (which actually makes most women's periods easier)- this may be a good choice for you should you decide you like the ease of IUD usage. Take care.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Platinum33 HB User

Well, I FINALLY got my period a few days ago. The higher absorbancy tampon did in fact help out a great deal, and I'm still surviving off the 800mg Motrins I had from after delivery...but they won't last for more than one more cycle.

I'm going to give my doctor a call to schedule having this removed. Like I said, I'm not having sex, so I'm not worried about birth control at all right now.

I just hope that my system returns to the way it used to be.

Closed Thread