It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

snickers7 HB User
Question Yasmin and yeast infections?

Hi everyone i have a question about Yasmin birth control. I have only been on Yasmin for a month and a half now and before that i was on the nuvaring. I have never had a yeast infection before i was on Yasmin and since i have switched to it, i have had 2 of them in one month!! I was given diflucan (2 doses) both times i was told i had an infection. It seems that it goes away for a little while and then it come back after i have sex. Does this happen to anyone else? It is so frustrating and i dont' know what to do? I haven't been able to see the gynecologist that prescribed Yasmin to me because i'm at college but i can't stand getting these infections. I really want to switch to something else. Does anyone have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Yasmin and yeast infections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers7
Hi everyone i have a question about Yasmin birth control. I have only been on Yasmin for a month and a half now and before that i was on the nuvaring. I have never had a yeast infection before i was on Yasmin and since i have switched to it, i have had 2 of them in one month!! I was given diflucan (2 doses) both times i was told i had an infection. It seems that it goes away for a little while and then it come back after i have sex. Does this happen to anyone else? It is so frustrating and i dont' know what to do? I haven't been able to see the gynecologist that prescribed Yasmin to me because i'm at college but i can't stand getting these infections. I really want to switch to something else. Does anyone have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
It sounds like your boyfriend may be infecting you, since you seem to get an infection after sex. Before blaming the birth control, have your boyfriend get treated. Without him getting treated, you'll constantly get infected.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

The presence of yeast in men does not make their female sex partners more susceptible to yeast infections nor can men give women yeast infections. University of Michigan now suggests this is not really the case. The team studied a group of 148 women with recurrent yeast infection and 78 of their male sexual partners. The researchers collected samples from the vagina, cervix, vulva, tongue and rectum to test for yeast. The men were asked to collect fecal, urine and semen samples at home for testing and they also had a tongue swab.
The study showed no connection between the presence of yeast in men and infection in women. The only risk seemed to be specific sexual practices - namely, masturbation with saliva in women (reported by 14.5 per cent) and oral sex from the man to the woman, which exposes the vaginal area to saliva. But there was no connection between infection and the presence of Candida in the man's mouth. The researchers therefore suggest that perhaps the presence of saliva in the vaginal area affects the natural balance of microbes there, making an infection more likely to emerge.

Common causes of yeast infection are: 1) Sex. Having sex can change the acid/base balance of the vagina and make it easier for yeast to increase in numbers. 2) Birth control pills. Hormones can alter the balance for some women and cause more frequent yeast infections. 3) Lots of sweating. If the weather is warmer or you're exercising more and sweating, these are the perfect conditions for yeast or any other fungus to go crazy. Wear cotton crotch underwear and let yourself air out. 4) Diabetes. Diabetes is an increase of sugar circulating in the body. Yeast just love to dine on sugar--in fact, it's their favorite meal. 5) Using antibiotics 6) Pregnancy 7) Douching 8) Your monthly period 9) HIV Infection

Jenteal

Old 02-07-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User

I've been taking Yasmin for a couple years now & have never had a problem with it. I highly doubt the birth control is to blame for your yeast infections. Even if you look at the side effects on the Yasmin website or on the info that comes with your script, yeast infections are not mentioned at all. Personally, I haven't had any & never heard of birth control causing them.

Yeast infections are generally caused by a fungus (so I've read) and can happen when the normal environment of the vagina is disrupted (like from douching or using an irritating soap) or even from taking antibiotics. For some people stress or illness can trigger them. But birth control? That's doubtful.

Talk to your doc about your concerns. Hope you get everything straightened away -- good luck!

Old 02-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

Look it up for yourself. Type in, birth control pills cause yeast infections, into the search engine. I know names of URL's are not allowed so I will just tell ya that the one I used started with the letter G. To make sure you read the same things I did let me know what you think after researcing it.

EDIT: Seeing how she just switched to Yasmin and has gotten 2 yeast infections it could be a coindience but then again maybe not.

Jenteal

Last edited by Jenteal; 02-08-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
(female)

snickers7 HB User

thanks for the information everyone! but how would a guy know if he had a yeast infection just curious?

Old 02-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

It is very doubtfull that your partner gave you a yeast infection. Did you research the info I posted?

The answer to your question is males may not experience any symptoms of the infection, however, if symptoms are present they may include: burning sensation during intercourse,burning sensation of the penis, symptoms after intercourse if condoms not used, transient rash.
Men get red patches and blisters at the end of the penis and around the foreskin with severe itching and pain. If they have a yeast infection in their mouthe they will have painless white patches in the mouth or throat.

I read that men with diabetes are more pron to yeast infections due to elevated sugar in the urine).

Jenteal

Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

besafe20 HB User

Did you know that a common side effect for nuva ring are yeast infections? It says so on the information paper that comes with it plus their website. Is it possible that since you just switched to yasmin your body isn't used to it yet and your PH is still disrupted from nuva ring? I was on nuva ring and got 2 yeast infections within 2 1/2 months. I just got off it cause I don't wanna deal with this!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran

camden HB User

Yes the BCP can cause yeast infections. You can look it up on the internet if you do a search on it.

I used to suffer from yeast infections every month before my period started, but a few months after the birth of my second child I switched to Depo-provera. Of course I never noticed anything different (you tend to forget aboout the yeast infections when you are not having them anymore) during the year I was on it, at least not until I switched back to the pill. During my first month back on the pill I had one (still not sure if these are true yeast infections as the doctor never bothered to do a culture and diagnosed me only based on the fact that I was SO itchy I couldn't bear it! This may be information overloas but there is no discharge whatsoever). It was at this time that I made the connection. After four months on the pill I switched back to the depo and for over 2 years never had even one infection. After having trouble losing some weight I figured maybe Depo was the problem so I switched back to the pill. This time I asked my doctor if I should be on a different brand of pill (I am on Marvelon), but he told me that because Marvelon had such a low dose of estrogen and I was still getting yeast infections that I would not likely see any better results on anything else. Well...after about four months on the pill the yeast infections were back and if it weren't for the fact that hubby is getting a vasectomy I would be switching back to the shot.

I also have another theory which will be proven to be either right or wrong within the next few months. Maybe, just maybe, the pill isn't causing the infections so much as the depo was keeping me from getting them. No more period means no fluctuation in hormones the week before your period starts. It will be a real downer if my husband gets the vasectomy and I end up having to be on depo to keep the infections at bay!

Speaking of vasectomies...Is there a board on here that discusses vasectomies and tubal ligations?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #10

mizvespa HB User

Yasmin is the only bc I've tried that have caused major yeast in my body! I've tried yasmin, ortho tri-cyclen, desogen, alesse, tri-norinyl, and nuvaring. The nuvaring never gave me yeast, but chronic bv (which I'm kind of prone to anyway). I just started the patch yesterday. I hope this will be the one!!!!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #11
(female)

Jenz HB User

over 2 yrs on Yasmin: 3 yeast infections and 1 case of bacterial vaginosis... prior to that... my only yeast infection was 11 yrs prior to that... hmmmm sounds like yasmin could be a factor! also I got mine right after sex with a condom with spermicide.. I have read spermicide can also be a factor...?? I'm going to try w/o spermicide and see. I also just stopped yasmin due to health related problems I believe the pill gave me ( mainly irritable bowel syndrome and gi problems). Be careful! I hope my body can be normal again.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

ScaredAt HB User

No. It defintiely says that you can have yeast infections from the pills. The hormones effect the PH balance in your body and can definitely screw you up. I have one right now and I"ve been on the pill lfor a week. I've never had one before nor did I even know waht one was. And I just went to the GYNO a week ago to get on the pill, and I'm not going back. I nkow I have one, and I know BC can give you one. I on the other hand, am on ORTHO. I hate it.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

SayMoo HB User

I think your yeast infections are due to the nuvaring. Ive heard MANY people have had an increase of yeast infections due to the nuvaring...i know you're no longer on it..but you said you've gotten off it recently.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
(female)

SweetHome HB User

Birth control can cause yeast infection because of the hormonal changes that occur. However in this case, it just sounds like she never got rid of the first infection. Diflucan is good for a one time dosing but you still need to wait the 7 days afterwards for the infection to completely go away. OR... Diflucan is not working for you and you need to try a longer therapy. I had the same problem, I too noticed that the yeast infections occurred after sex with my boyfriend. So I wouldn't completely dismiss that angle either.

Either way, try a 7 day treatment and see what happens. MEssy yes, but very effective.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #15
(female)

Jayfoxey HB User
nuva ring and yeast infections?

I am SOOO frustrated!!! I went on Nuvaring in Feb. soon after that, I started taking antibiotics for a cold. Almost immediately I got my very first yeast infection. I went to the Dr. and she gave me some 3 day Terazol. after the 3 days everything seemed to be fine, but a few weeks later I stated feeling it come back, I treated, felt better, a few weeks later it came back again. Basically...I keep treating, feel better for a while but it always comes back...I have also taken Fluconazole, and I am currently waiting to see if its going to help. Is it Nuva Ring that is doing this to me??? My Dr said that it may have something to do with it, but I don't know what else it could be...I'm freaking out...

Closed Thread