It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

TD625 HB User
Protected just as well on week off??

I am taking Estrostep fe, which has 3 weeks of white active pills and then a week of brown iron (reminder) pills. Am I just as protected on the week off as I am while taking the active pills? My boyfriend and I had sex this weekend without a condom and I'm not really worried, but he saw my pack of pills and noticed I hadn't taken a couple of the brown pills (which are just iron and in my pack it just says to throw them away if you forget to take them). I explained this to him, but he was still a little worried and it made me worry. Anyways, I have taken all my pills at the same time everyday for 2 months except for a few of the reminder pills. Plus I have read that you can only get pregnant around the 14th day of your cycle (or within 2 days before and after this because the sperm can stay in your body) and I just had my period last week (starting tuesday the 8th) so it would have only been about the 4th day of my cycle. I just want to make sure I have all of this right. Any comments/information is appreciated. Thanks*

Old 03-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User
Re: Protected just as well on week off??

I'm not familiar with that particular brand, but I thought all BC pills worked by suppressing ovulation so there would be no egg to fertilize. There's no reason to worry about having sex during the "off" week. That's when your period is ready to come anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD625
I am taking Estrostep fe, which has 3 weeks of white active pills and then a week of brown iron (reminder) pills. Am I just as protected on the week off as I am while taking the active pills? My boyfriend and I had sex this weekend without a condom and I'm not really worried, but he saw my pack of pills and noticed I hadn't taken a couple of the brown pills (which are just iron and in my pack it just says to throw them away if you forget to take them). I explained this to him, but he was still a little worried and it made me worry. Anyways, I have taken all my pills at the same time everyday for 2 months except for a few of the reminder pills. Plus I have read that you can only get pregnant around the 14th day of your cycle (or within 2 days before and after this because the sperm can stay in your body) and I just had my period last week (starting tuesday the 8th) so it would have only been about the 4th day of my cycle. I just want to make sure I have all of this right. Any comments/information is appreciated. Thanks*

You're probably fine. It's perfectly safe to have sex during the "inactive" week, as long as you take your pills perfectly.

Also, the PERFECT woman would ovulate on day 14. Most women ovulate AROUND that time, and some women ovulate more than once per month.

Regardless, you're on the pill, and ovulation shouldn't have occurred.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

perkinssl HB User

You will be fine..I took estrostep for 3 years and never took the 4th week of pills and my SO and I had unprotected sex, I considered it my week off of not having to swallow a pill!

Last edited by perkinssl; 03-20-2005 at 04:11 PM.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
(female)

TD625 HB User

Thanks for your replys. When you were on estrostep did you experience any side effects... Nausea after eating, breast tenderness? Also, my period was very very light the first month and the 2nd month it was heavier... did you experience anything like this? I have noticed these (the nausea after eating just now during the 3rd pack). Just wondering!*

Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
(female)

perkinssl HB User

I did experience some side effects but not nausea. I did get some breast tenderness on the 3rd week of pills. I didn't experience any side effects until the 3rd week of pills because this week was the highest dosage pills.

My period was usually always light but I had used it for 3 years. I do remember when I was first starting out it was heavy but then it got lighter so I'm sure your body is just adjusting to the new hormones. I would wait it out and see what happens.

Good Luck

Closed Thread