It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 07:20 AM   #1

andreah1 HB User
Mirena - my hubby can feel the strings, HELP!

Hello, I'm a newbie and have a question which I couldn't find answered anywhere in previous posts. I had Mirena inserted almost a month ago. So far besides the painful insertion and cramps now and again my biggest problem has been having sex with my husband. Unfortunately he feels the strings. Has anyone else had this experience? I see my dr. in a couple weeks and she had told me in advance that if something like this happened she could trim the strings but wouldn't that make it worse? They are poking him to the point that we can see red marks on him. I REALLY want this IUD to work as I've been on the pill for 20 years and I'm tired of the side effects. Can anyone offer any insight and/or help? Thanks! Andrea

Old 03-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #2

momofyyss HB User
Re: Mirena - my hubby can feel the strings, HELP!

I just had the Mirena inserted today. I asked my doc about poking strings, which was a concern of mine after I read your posted message. She said that cutting them too short is what causes the poking feeling. She said the mirena strings are similar to fishing wire. If you cut it, it becomes poky. So she said she prefers to keep them longer and eventually they wrap themselves around the cervical area, preventing interference during intercourse. She told me to try it out and let her know, but in general, she receives less complaints when doing it this way. Talk to your doctor and ask her what her approach was and what other options you have at this point.

Hope this helps.
momofyyss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
(female)

redtree HB User

I had mine put in 5 wks ago and the same thing happened to me. My Dr. checked the strings out and couldn't redo it with the strings any longer because of how low my uterus is. They are the perfect length. We tried having sex again and he wasn't stabbed that time. I haven't been having a lot of sex though to comment further because I got my period and have been bleeding for 4.5 weeks. Has anyone had this prolonged bleeding that actually stopped??? I am trying to hang in there as this is my #1 choice for birth control. I am getting frustrated and wondering if I will just need to have it removed. Anyone having this problem?

Thanks--DK

Old 03-23-2005, 04:18 AM   #4

andreah1 HB User

My dr. did leave the strings longer (I can feel them quite well) for the same reason, she said you have better luck of them not poking. Of course she forgot she was talking to me, seems everything is always backwards or something! Anyways, we're gonna try to hang in there in hopes that they will move, or maybe the dr can move them so they're not so uncomfortable for my husband. I don't think I'll have them trimmed, if in another 2 months or so they still poke I may go back again and see what we can do.
Redtree - I was worried about all the bleeding that I read about before I had it inserted and read on another message board that you could continue taking the birth control pill for the first month to cut the bleeding. I did that (my dr. said it wouldn't hurt but she didn't advise it) and only bled the first few days after insertion. I have 4 more pills left then will see what happens, not sure if I have prolonged the bleeding or sent it packing! I have a funny feeling it's going to be a hard period, I've had cramps off and on this whole month. I'm really hoping like you that this IUD works, I'm tired of remembering to take a pill and dealing with side effects, this seemed like a dream come true. Hang in there...hopefully the pain and bleeding will be worth it.

Closed Thread