It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User
Question ***Current/Past Alesse users***

I have heavy periods, so my gynacologist gave me 3 packs of Alesse to try (this will be the 3rd type of birth control pill I have tried). My questions:

1. I have heard many people say they get spotting on Alesse. For those who have experienced spotting, when did it happen, and how long did it last?

2. I have something happening at the end of the month (when I would be due for my next period), so my gynacologist told me I could take 2 packs of Alesse without taking a break for my period. If you have done this with Alesse has it been a success, or did you end up getting your period anyway?

Thanks a lot!

Old 03-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: ***Current/Past Alesse users***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Flamingo
I have heavy periods, so my gynacologist gave me 3 packs of Alesse to try (this will be the 3rd type of birth control pill I have tried). My questions:

1. I have heard many people say they get spotting on Alesse. For those who have experienced spotting, when did it happen, and how long did it last?

2. I have something happening at the end of the month (when I would be due for my next period), so my gynacologist told me I could take 2 packs of Alesse without taking a break for my period. If you have done this with Alesse has it been a success, or did you end up getting your period anyway?

Thanks a lot!

1. Spotting is possible with any pill. Most of the time, the spotting stops after a few cycles. If it doesn't stop, your gyno would probably recommend another pill.

2. It is possible to skip periods with Alesse, but many women spot, or get their periods, anyway. You won't know until you try it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I have used Alesse and tried taking it for 12 weeks straight. it worked for a few months, then for some reason I started spot bleeding around the end of the 6th week then was fine the week after, then spotted the end of the 9th week, then was fine. I saw a pattern that I started to spot just after ending a packet, but was fine when I started the new packet. Being frustrated my gyno put me back on Loestrin FE 1.5/30's and I've been on that for a few years without any problems and still continue to take my pills 12 weeks to have only 4 periods/year. But this method doesn't work for everyone and may not be right for everyone. Ask your doctor before you start skipping months and be sure he/she gives you enough of a pill refill to do this. Hope that helps!

Old 03-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Well I was on Alesse for 2 years, I gained a lot of weight (20 lbs in the last year on it despite heavy dieting and lifting weights every week) and, I didn't spot at all however, My periods got heavier not lighter like my ob gyn thought they would AND I could NOT skip my period w/ that pill, in fact, I am afraid to try that ever again w/ any bc pill because not only did I get the period I bled an entire MONTH....so that's a precaution for you. But every woman's body is different.

I am now on Yasmin.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

Roxygirl HB User

Hey rush rulz...I'd like to know about your experiences on Alesse. I've been on Alesse for the past year and a half. I think I have gained weight also. In fact, I know I have. I used to be a size 8 and now I'm a 12 and I haven't changed my eating habits or exercise habits. My other complaint is I'm breaking out. Everyone is telling me to switch to Yasmin. I have the packet of pills right in front of me wondering if I should switch? I'm just upset because Alesse is the lowest formulation of bc on the market! My gyno said it isn't supposed to make you gain weight! Anyways, please let me know if you think I should switch!

Closed Thread