It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM   #1

momofyyss HB User
IUD-breakthrough bleeding or period?

I had the mirena IUD inserted about 10 days ago. I had light spotting for a few days which went away on its own. Now I'm starting to have bleeding, not as much as a period, but more than the spotting i had after insertion, along with inconsistent mild cramping.

I can't tell if its my period or if it's breakthrough bleeding since i was told that periods on the iud are usually lighter. What is the difference between a light period and breakthrough bleeding? Also, is it common to get your period so soon after having the iud inserted. my last period was march 6th and i am also nursing, so i wasn't expecting it this early (march 29th).

any info would be greatly appreciated.
momofyyss

Old 04-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #2

andreah1 HB User
Re: IUD-breakthrough bleeding or period?

From what I've heard and read you could bleed quite alot during the 1st month while your body is adjusting. My cousin bled the first month everyday. I wouldn't call it a period, moreso spotting. She's had hers since the end of December and said she is getting her period regularly now but very crampy. I've had one since March 1st and I'm still waiting for my period and worried!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 05:16 AM   #3
(female)

ajosborn HB User
Thumbs up Re: IUD-breakthrough bleeding or period?

Hello I had a mirena IUD put in, in Dec. I had light bleeding up until the middle of Feb. I have not had any cramps, or my monthly cycle since then.. I would recomend the mirena over the copper T(had bad problems with that one)
You may or may not get your monthly cycle anymore. Good luck and don't give up..

Old 04-17-2005, 01:15 AM   #4
(female)

leslie0784 HB User
Re: IUD-breakthrough bleeding or period?

I've had Mirena for a month. No bleeding or spotting. But I am having the worst cramps, a heating pad and advil don't dent it. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it possible that this is when I should have a perioud and so I'm just cramping? Anything you could tell me whould be great!!

Closed Thread