It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
(female)

daisy8869 HB User
Exclamation Depo and Miscarriage???

I have been on depo for almost 12 months and I am due to get my next shot next week. During my time on depo I have never gotten a period or any bleeding. I have gained 45 lbs. and I cannot lose weight (I follow a 1500 calorie a day diet and exercise three times a week). I was having doubts about getting my 5th shot next week then I woke up this morning.

I woke up this morning feeling extremely exhausted and crampy. About four hours after I woke up...my cramps became very sereve and I started bleeding. When I went to the restroom I saw a clump of skin/blood clot about the size of a nickel. I am still cramping and bleeding but not as much. Could I have possibly just had a miscarriage???

Thanks,

Daisy

Old 04-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: Depo and Miscarriage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy8869
I have been on depo for almost 12 months and I am due to get my next shot next week. During my time on depo I have never gotten a period or any bleeding. I have gained 45 lbs. and I cannot lose weight (I follow a 1500 calorie a day diet and exercise three times a week). I was having doubts about getting my 5th shot next week then I woke up this morning.

I woke up this morning feeling extremely exhausted and crampy. About four hours after I woke up...my cramps became very sereve and I started bleeding. When I went to the restroom I saw a clump of skin/blood clot about the size of a nickel. I am still cramping and bleeding but not as much. Could I have possibly just had a miscarriage???

Thanks,

Daisy
I'm not an expert or on depo, but I have a friend that gained at least 45 lbs on depo. She had no choice but to get off it after being on it for 6 months. She also did not have a period either. It just stopped. She occasionally had some spot bleeding, but that's all.

Sometimes when I get my period I will have a clump/blood clot that is about the size of a nickel too and the first time it happened I immediately called my ob/gyn's office. His nurse practioner said that as long as it wasn't the size of a quarter or more and I didn't continue to have severe camps that I should be fine. She did call me back a couple of days later to check on me and I was fine. But your situation could be different. I would check with your ob/gyn and let me know what's going on. At least they can put that in your chart. I've heard such bad things about depo and had another friend miss her shot by one week and got pregnant! Not a good situation since she wasn't married and her boyfriend of 2 months just got divorced.

There are a lot of different forms of birth control. Talk to your ob/gyn for all your options. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy8869

Thanks,

Daisy
Whenever you have a concern about your body you you consult with your doctor. I took depo for 4 years, when I first started I had the usual light breakthrough bleeding for a little while, then nothing more. Well, except for a couple incidents that scared the heck outta me. A couple times I had some unusual cramping that was followed by some clots and bright red blood. I didn't bleed for more than a couple of hours, then it was like it never happened. Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
(female)

daisy8869 HB User

I'm feeling better this morning...the bleeding stopped last night and its like it never happened. I guess it was some spotting. After doing some more research on Depo...I am getting off of it next week and back on the pill.

Thanks for all of your insight.

Closed Thread