It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Birth Control Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 AM   #1

RICH7 HB User
Antibiotics And Birth Control Pills

Can someone tell me....how long do I need to use a back-up method while on an antibiotic? I mean...after I have taken all of my antibiotics how long after do I still need to use back-up? I know antibiotics probably stay in your system for awhile even after you have taken your last pill.....so I was wondering if anyone knew how long afterwards do I need to be careful.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2005, 07:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Daisies4monkeys HB User
Re: Antibiotics And Birth Control Pills

Well, the anitbiotic-bcp thing hasn't ever been proven by studies, actually...it's just anecdotal evidence of women who got pregnant while taking antibiotics and the pill at the same time and a theory that due to liver metabolization the pill wont work as well when a woman is on antibiotics. Another theory I've heard is that this is true in SOME women. That for a small percentage of women, their body might metabolize the pill differently while taking antibiotics.

I've been told by my doctor that only TB antibiotics effect the pill, so that back-up isn't needed. However, since there's still that theoretical risk of efficiency being decreased, she advised me that if I wasn't comfortable with a possible (though unproven) risk, to use back up for the duration I was on the antibiotics and for seven days following.

There are actually studies out there that prove that a number of antibiotics do NOT effect the pill, such as Cipro and Macrobid.

Also, the theoretical risk is small. Like, the efficiency would go down from 99.7% when taken perfectly to say, 95%. Which is still very effective, just not AS effective.

All the same, I don't claim to know everything, so I guess the short answer to my long-windedness is to use back up during the time you're on the antibiotics and seven days following if you're not comfortable with a theoretical risk.

The following user gives a hug of support to Daisies4monkeys:
jennacure (09-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Sorry for the cliche, but I always think better safe than sorry- I would make sure you get in two solid weeks of pills (not including placebos) to make sure the BCP is doing again what it is supposed to be doing in your body to prevent conception. That may be a little much, but it seems like a general rule to follow. I am sure someone else will be along to help too.

If it makes you feel any better, I finished up a round of antiboitics less than a week before I finished a pack of Seasonale, there's no way in knowing whether or not I would have ovulated, and I've still got more than a week to go!

Old 04-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #4

RICH7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisies4monkeys
Well, the anitbiotic-bcp thing hasn't ever been proven by studies, actually...it's just anecdotal evidence of women who got pregnant while taking antibiotics and the pill at the same time and a theory that due to liver metabolization the pill wont work as well when a woman is on antibiotics. Another theory I've heard is that this is true in SOME women. That for a small percentage of women, their body might metabolize the pill differently while taking antibiotics.

I've been told by my doctor that only TB antibiotics effect the pill, so that back-up isn't needed. However, since there's still that theoretical risk of efficiency being decreased, she advised me that if I wasn't comfortable with a possible (though unproven) risk, to use back up for the duration I was on the antibiotics and for seven days following.

There are actually studies out there that prove that a number of antibiotics do NOT effect the pill, such as Cipro and Macrobid.

Also, the theoretical risk is small. Like, the efficiency would go down from 99.7% when taken perfectly to say, 95%. Which is still very effective, just not AS effective.

All the same, I don't claim to know everything, so I guess the short answer to my long-windedness is to use back up during the time you're on the antibiotics and seven days following if you're not comfortable with a theoretical risk.
I am taking Cefzil...(I think that is the correct spelling)....and the bcp that I am on is otc lo. I think I will search on the net to see if cefzil is one of the antibiotics to be careful with.

I wonder if it makes a difference because i am on the otc LO??? If the antibiotic makes my pill less effective because it is a lower dose. hmmm.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
(female)

JAMIE0512 HB User

ive heard the backup is for 7 days after completion of the antibiotic, but im not 100% sure. and as for the OTC Lo, i dont htink that it would make a differece, u still need back up! That pill is not as effective in itself so i would def use a backup while on antibiotics!

Old 04-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIE0512
That pill is not as effective in itself so i would def use a backup while on antibiotics!

While there is some speculation on the effectiveness of OTC Lo on this board, the drug company and the medical community believes that this pill is equally effective as every other pill on the market. ALL combined birth control pills are 99.9% effective with perfect use.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
(female)

laomy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLSheridan
While there is some speculation on the effectiveness of OTC Lo on this board, the drug company and the medical community believes that this pill is equally effective as every other pill on the market. ALL combined birth control pills are 99.9% effective with perfect use.

finally someone who said something about that issue on this board. im on OTC Lo and dont use a backup and i feel fine about it. im not gonna be afraid its not going to work. i take it at 10pm exactly, and im on no other medications. and im skinny. OTC Lo has the same amount of progestin as regular OTC (and no one seemed to have a problem with that). And OTC Lo actually has MORE estrogen than Alesse, Nuvaring, Mircette, etc... which are all reputable pills/ring.

to answer the question, it was my understanding that you should probably use a backup the whole time you are on the antibiotic, and also a backup for 7 days after it too.

Last edited by laomy; 04-23-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Closed Thread